Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 02-20-2013, 07:01 PM   #15

I started out with a diesel truck pulling a nice 5th wheel...I knew that diesel was the right fit from that...nothing purrs or pulls like a diesel...not to mention air ride...not saying that Class A gassers are bad...many many nice ones out there at a very affordable price...and they are sweet rides...it really boils down to economics...
Jim Estes is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-20-2013, 07:03 PM   #16

Country Coach Owners Club
I'll go one step further!

Theres a very, VERY high end coach for sale (Newell). New it was just over $1m. It was purchased with the intent of taking it all over the country...but the owner never had the time (typically flying instead...yes, I think in his own jet).

So, he's selling it. Virtually unused...taking a huge depreciation hit as well as the $$ spent for indoor storage, etc.

Some people just don't have the time...and have the money to not be concerned about it.

In my world ~ OUCH!

Mark
MarkofSJC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2013, 07:14 PM   #17

I love my 94 gas Bounder, to me simplicity is just one of the reasons IM happy....
Old 02-20-2013, 07:17 PM   #18

Sometimes circumstances change in people's lives. We purchased a new 5RV and Dodge truck only to get assigned to Hawaii so we decided to sell both and save for another once we hit the mainland again.
Old 02-20-2013, 07:36 PM   #19

Well, we bought a used gas coach in 1995 and upgraded to a new gas coach in 2000 which we still have, and are very satisfied with it.

Insofar as our primary use is to live in the coach while away from our permanent home, we just couldn't justify nor afford the additional cost involved with the purchase of a diesel powered coach.

Good luck with whatever you decide to purchase

2000 Residency 3790 v10 w/tags 5 Star tune & Banks system Suzuki XL7 toad
LVJ58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2013, 09:15 PM   #20

Newmar Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Spartan Chassis
Best times of my life was when my kids were young, bought a new pop up. We drug that thing all over for 10 years, almost cried when we sold it after the kids had left. I feel blessed to have a 38' gas Kountry Star. Never dreamed I'd have something that nice. It's not about the rig, it's about, people, attitude, and the freedom to travel this great country.
Old 02-20-2013, 09:41 PM   #21
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Abnmarine View Post
Sometimes circumstances change in people's lives.
Bingo! Jobs are lost, people pass away, some people discover they don't LIKE RVing! Gasp!

Fact is, there are lots of reasons for new but previously-owned rigs.
Old 02-20-2013, 09:41 PM   #22

Freightliner Owners Club
Gas or diesel.....depends on how long and how many miles your going to put on it? We are a diesel family. Haven't put gas in a rig for the last 13 years. 2001 Dodge diesel (256,000 miles) and runs and drives like the day we drove it off the lot. 2006 Jeep diesel Liberty..ditto. 330 cat in the MH. New styles don't give me chills...but a good running rig does. Like I've heard from the people I grew up with.....keep the oil changed and everything surrounding your diesel engine will fall apart before the engine does.
Old 02-20-2013, 10:23 PM   #23

Holiday Rambler Owners Club
Wow! Its great to read all the posts regarding the purchase of a "low mile young Class A". Our story is similar as we started our RV'ing in the 60's with a F250 Pickup and an 11foot Caveman Camper. Went then to a twin diesel power 37ft boat yatch?? and after a few short years found we didn't use it enough to justify the 10 to 12k dollars per year of maintenance. Sold it and bought a new F250 diesel PU and a 28 foot fifth. Wanted more so moved up to a 30 foot fifth and a new diesel PU. This new PU blew an engine at 30k miles. Manufacturer took it back and made me a deal on another new one??? Had no faith in the PU product and after two years of white knuckle towing gave it up. Sold the fifth, sold the PU (lost a lot of bucks) and thought our RV'ing was over. Then a relative came home from AZ with a 06 HR Rambler. That did it. Went searching around and being somewhat timid found a good used HR 30PDD with 12K on it. We've done two trips now and just love it. At the moment we don't have any thoughts of going longer or diesel as after our experience with the diesel PU's soured us on diesel. I've been a diesel tech most of my working career and believe me diesel can cost a lot over all. For us now it's gas all the way cause if we put 15k miles per year that's it. So for us the maintenance cost plus the fuel costs really can't really be a factor. Onwards and upwards maybe we can meet along the way.
Ray H
Old 02-20-2013, 10:31 PM   #24

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
I know that I've been through my share of motorhomes...had six of them in my life. The first three were gassers and they did the job OK. I installed Banks Power Packs on two of them. Then, I got behind the wheel of a Diesel Pusher...10 miles later, I swore I'd never own a gasser again! The ride is different, the power is different, the whole coach is different! The maintenance and upkeep are nothing compared with the step upwards in quality...Try it, you'll never go back...!
Old 02-21-2013, 07:43 AM   #25

Rexhall Owners Group
Look at both, drive both and see what fits your needs. You can see from the posts on this forum that there are those that prefer diesel and those who are happy with gas. I'm glad I brought diesel but that was one of my requirements. What ever you choose enjoy the life it brings. I have never looked back with any regrets.

Martin
Old 02-21-2013, 08:26 AM   #26

Thank you for all the thoughtful responses. I know that if we were to look at the RV in question, my husband would be asking for all the maintenance records, as will be the case with anything we might buy used.

I just wondered if someone would really not have made that gas vs. diesel decision before buying, but then selling as used, a brand new RV that they'd used only for one trip. Now I know that answer and the various reasons for such a move. The seller said they decided they'd rather have diesel, after that one trip.

The list price for the new rig was around $140-145k and they are asking around $110k. Since that is about what he should have paid from the get-go (or at least, less than list), I know now that there could be quite a bit of room for negotiating.

I also appreciate the price info about what kinds of discounts one could expect off list of a new RV. That is important to know.

You are all very helpful.

Right now we plan to rent from a local place, who has confirmed they will rent a nice 30 ft RV to us that is dog friendly. They will also show us how to drive it. We are taking that RV down to SoCalif to visit father in law pretty soon. I figured 101 and I-5 are both well known to us, so that would be helpful -- less to contend with, as far as new info to process while learning to drive an RV.

Once we get our feet wet with this gasser, I can see that we would be more ready and able to do test drives of both kinds of RVs and then make a better choice.

I'll keep you posted. I am sure we will not be purchasing any time soon. It is too expensive a decision for us to make in a hurry.

Thanks again. I keep checking back for new responses.
Goin Coastal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2013, 02:04 PM   #27

Winnebago Owners Club
bought a brand new coachmen merada 34bh tooh one trip came back and traded for a 05 vectra .What a tremendous difference so happy with my diesel
Denny1949 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2013, 02:14 PM   #28

We rented c class for a few years then bought an older A class gas , I would have liked a DP from the start but felt it was too big an investment before we were absolutely certain we would use it . Good luck
jimmyjnr is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
diesel, gas