Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 02-24-2013, 09:33 AM   #43

National RV Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
We've been full timing in our 2005 Dolphin 5376 gasser for going on 7 years. As much as we wanted a DP, the Dolphin gave us the same quality as the DP that National was selling at the time for a lot less money. What we saved we used for many gallons of gas. Upside to the DP is the lack noise on the road and ride quality, downside is the maintenance cost. Upside to a gasser is low cost maintenance, downside is the noise. To combat this I insulated the doghouse with dyna mat. I upgraded the suspension and now we like the gasser well enough to keep it a while longer.
We put less than 10k miles a year on the rig as we stay put for months at a time.

Rick 2005 Dolphin 5376 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-24-2013, 09:39 AM   #44

Entegra Owners Club
I'll be positive...maybe they had a good coach...just went to their first campground, talked to a few DP owners, got a look inside a coach or two (or maybe a RV show), and said damn, I want all those do-dahs that go with the more expensive, generally larger, more powerful (they were pulling a large,heavy toad) capabilities.

Or maybe they just fond out their pockets were deeper (or shallower) than they thought.

DSL417 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2013, 01:42 PM   #45

I owned 2 gassers before the rev. First one used the second new nothing wrong with either one I just wanted more. With that said I did test drive a couple of different models not on a spartan and my wife said no way. Not to make this a chassis war but they were a lot less expensive models at the time to be fare.
Old 02-25-2013, 03:16 PM   #46

National RV Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Unfortunately for gasser owners or want to be owners, Work Horse is gone. We were lucky to have our 37-1/2 Dolphin sitting on a W24.
Rick 2005 Dolphin 5376 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2013, 06:34 PM   #47

Monaco Owners Club
Holiday Rambler Owners Club
That was us last year. I bought a brand new Fleetwood bounder 35', took it to Florida for a month. Brought it home and traded it in a 3 way deal with the dealer. We didn't like the noise of the V-10 screaming at us all day and the ride was less that comfortable. Our dog was horrified and the floors got real hot. We were pulling our Chevy Equinnox and got about 5-6 mpg on the trip. Thankfully we bought the unit in the winter when the prices were rock bottom and did the trade when the prices were at the top. We got a slightly used 40' Holiday Rambler DP and we love it. Not that we hated the Bounder but for us it was a no brainer.
As far as people tell you maintanance on a diesel is more money, I say do the math. A gas motor require service every 5000 miles, a diesel every 15,000. As far as air filters, oil filters and belts, no difference. Diesel does cost more these days and our mpg is equivalent so we do pay more for fuel on trips. I am told the mpg will improve with time.
By the way, another couple did exactly the same thing at the same time but we got the 3 way deal at trade because we had bought the extra warranty and finish protection. We bought our DP from a couple going to a 5th wheel and a couple bought our Bounder moving from a tow behind. Another couple bought a new 40' Fleetwood and came back and traded it for a new 42' Fleetwood with a bigger bedroom. That, I am sure cost him lots. We actually looked at the DP but didnt like the floor plan.
All in all I lost about $8,000.00 on the deal and I put it too expensive experience but we wanted our travels to be enjoyable and the DP is just that.
Our dealer told us that people buy 40' units and bring them back the next year because they can not get comfortable driving them and they downsize. I think it happens fairly regularly.
Old 02-25-2013, 09:36 PM   #48
Community Moderator

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rick 2005 Dolphin 5376 View Post
Unfortunately for gasser owners or want to be owners, Work Horse is gone. We were lucky to have our 37-1/2 Dolphin sitting on a W24.

Ah Yep What he said!

And the other comment (above) about chassis builder is true for all segments...not all Diesel pushers are equal, just like not all gassers are cheap, wobbling, and noisy RV's.

I hope the news about the new gas chassis coming holds true - Ford needs some competition to force improvement. It's not rocket science, just economics.
Kim and Steve, Mustang LCDR (Ret), Damon Outlaw #1193
I have seen gross intolerance shown in support of tolerance, Samuel Coleridge
https://www.irv2.com/attachments/signaturepics/sigpic84535_7.gif
WE LOVE OUR OUTLAW RV
Scarab0088 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2013, 09:41 PM   #49

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scarab0088 View Post
I hope the news about the new gas chassis coming holds true - Ford needs some competition to force improvement. It's not rocket science, just economics.
What rumors of a new chassis? Thanks

avid
2015 Bay Star 3103, 2013 Jeep Wrangler Sport S
Falcon 2 All terrain tow bar, RVi2 brake, Towmate TM3 wireless lights
avid_dk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2013, 09:57 PM   #50

Fleetwood Owners Club
Mid Atlantic Campers
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Economics keep me in my gas coach for now. But to tell the truth I'm not sure if I want a Diesel. Well then again maybe someday, but for now my Pace does everything I need. Great discussion though.
Old 02-25-2013, 10:07 PM   #51
Community Moderator

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by avid_dk View Post
What rumors of a new chassis? Thanks
See...
Big News For Gas Powered Buyers
And
Spartan - Class A - "Extol" Concept Gas Chassis

Spartan owners are a loyal bunch and quality is usually top of their bragging list.
Kim and Steve, Mustang LCDR (Ret), Damon Outlaw #1193
I have seen gross intolerance shown in support of tolerance, Samuel Coleridge
https://www.irv2.com/attachments/signaturepics/sigpic84535_7.gif
WE LOVE OUR OUTLAW RV
Scarab0088 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2013, 10:10 PM   #52

Winnebago Owners Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Then you have the situation where after one trip in their brand new all the bells and whistles gonna see the country motorhome she/he says if you don't get rid of this thing I will file for divorce.

Don G.
Old 02-25-2013, 10:46 PM   #53

Entegra Owners Club
Not one time but used it 5 times in 9 months and swapped. Had we used it more often we probably wouldn't have made it 9 months.
TerryO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2013, 07:12 AM   #54

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ramzfan View Post
I know that I've been through my share of motorhomes...had six of them in my life. The first three were gassers and they did the job OK. I installed Banks Power Packs on two of them. Then, I got behind the wheel of a Diesel Pusher...10 miles later, I swore I'd never own a gasser again! The ride is different, the power is different, the whole coach is different! The maintenance and upkeep are nothing compared with the step upwards in quality...Try it, you'll never go back...!
Second that, we started out in a Navion 24ft great rig but when we went to 6 months a year it was too small. Moved to a 34 gasser then went fulltime wanted sometime a little bigger better quality. Moved to our current rig 41ft DP, man what a difference. We are not rich but any difference in cost of maintenance is more than worth it, to us anyway. For us the difference between the fuel cost and MPG is a wash. One last thing the DP actually handles better even in close quarters.
The two of us and Kota, a 25 lbs Teddy Bear breed, makes three. Living the life in a 41 Fleetwood Providence pulling a Ford F150. Our trip of a lifetime 2014 Alaska all the way to Fairbanks. unbelievable beauty . as you go by.
nbargolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2013, 07:24 AM   #55

"As far as people tell you maintanance on a diesel is more money, I say do the math. A gas motor require service every 5000 miles, a diesel every 15,000. As far as air filters, oil filters and belts, no difference. Diesel does cost more these days and our mpg is equivalent so we do pay more for fuel on trips. I am told the mpg will improve with time."
All this talk about maintenance cost difference. Have to agree with above. the fuel cost for us is a wash (difference in fuel cost and 6.5 mpg gas vs 8.5 mpg diesel) so where is all this major maintenance difference? Maybe if you have to have major work done but what are the chances of that in a diesel vs gas. All IMHO.
The two of us and Kota, a 25 lbs Teddy Bear breed, makes three. Living the life in a 41 Fleetwood Providence pulling a Ford F150. Our trip of a lifetime 2014 Alaska all the way to Fairbanks. unbelievable beauty . as you go by.
Old 02-26-2013, 07:31 AM   #56

Quote:
Originally Posted by bronk View Post
One of the more interesting "situations" that I recall, occured while full-timing about ten years ago. We were speaking to a middle aged couple from North Carolina who were parked next to us in a Florida campground. They had recently purchased a 40ft. diesel motor home and were getting ready to sell it as soon as they could find a buyer. It seems that they had decided on the spur of the moment to retire early, sell their home and personal belongings, etc, and purcase an RV in order to travel full-time and see the country. Well, after about six months into the "adventure", the wife decided that she really didn't like the lifestyle and wanted to live in a "real" house and it came down to, "it's either the MH goes or I go." The return to permanent real estate won out, and the MH was on the market after less than a year of use. Talk about a financial hit! It would have been much better to rent and try the RV life as a way to determine if it is something that you can live with - or at least, to buy an inexpensive RV to "test the waters".

Bronk
You know dear I'm really going to miss YOU LOL.

Tags
diesel, gas