Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 02-26-2013, 07:46 AM   #57

"The initial cost of the diesel, fuel cost and maintenance are just not justifiable (for us)." Folks I am repeating myself but I don't understand these statements. Cost of the DP - we got a great 2008 DP with 16,500 miles on it looks new, for the price of a 40ft 2011-2012 gasser. fuel cost for us 6.5 mpg gas vs 8.5 mpg diesel makes it a wash. Maintenance 5000 miles vs 15,000 means 3 times in a gasser vs one time in a diesel I would think would be a wash. So what am I missing here?

The two of us and Kota, a 25 lbs Teddy Bear breed, makes three. Living the life in a 41 Fleetwood Providence pulling a Ford F150. Our trip of a lifetime 2014 Alaska all the way to Fairbanks. unbelievable beauty . as you go by.
nbargolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-26-2013, 08:36 AM   #58

Fleetwood Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
nbargolf what you are missing is very few gas or diesel owners drive 15,000 or more a year. I change my oil once a year (gaser), and a diesel user changes once a year, hence cost difference. I just met a guy here (Myrtle Beach) that purchased a used DP from camping world, they told him to change the oil and filter every 3,000 miles or 3 months!

Old 02-26-2013, 09:09 AM   #59

Tent camped for years had a pop up for a couple years then finally bought a 24 ft 1984 class C just to see if we would use it before spending lots of $. We loved it and sold it the next season and bought a 31 ft 1994 class A Damon challanger. Was a really clean and nice rig. Used it one season and realized we needed more power for the toad and a slide out. So bought a 2000 DP for a decent price. Its not perfect and needs tires but I feel more comfortable driving it. The gas RVs always made me feel like I was stressing the engine and Trans to the max when I came across a hill.
I loved the gas rig and it worked fine but I just felt I was on the limits of what the rig could handle. The DP feels more like a commercial rig that will run all day pull 5 tons without a hickup and stop like its in charge and not crossing my fingers. Its bigger its heavier and doesn't get blown around on a windy day like the gas rig did. I just feel like I have the right chassis and power for the job. It is more expensive but its worth it. lucky for me I didn't lose any money going from a pop up to a C to an A to a DP in three years but I bought used and typically got rigs that needed work so I sold them in better shape than I bought them in. actually made some money if you don't count my time.
Old 02-26-2013, 10:12 AM   #60

Fleetwood Owners Club
We had a new arctic fox TT one year, traded to a arctic fox 5th wheel and kept that for two years(hated the 5th wheel but loved the lifestyle) then ordered our diesel Discovery and had that for 5 years and now on our first year still with our AC Revolution on a Spartan. We missed the gas class A step and I figured we saved about $50k! We don't use it much, maybe 20 plus nights a year but is it ever a blast to drive and camp in. Get a diesel and save some money!
Old 02-26-2013, 11:52 AM   #61

Thor Owners Club
Damon Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Coastal Campers
Carolina Campers
I believe it is personal choice and a matter of travel time and budget. My wife and I would love to have a Tiffin Pheaton, but the truth is that we are not full timers, and living on a comfortable budget that enables us to make our RV payment and travel in the summer. I bought my MH new in 2003 and have completed many upgrades to include installing a dishwasher. we have made our MH very comfortable for our needs and can't justify increasing my payment which would reduce my traveling fun. After attending the IRV2 rally this past year and meeting so many gas coach owners that upgrade, I've decided to keep mine that much longer. There would have to be one of those can't walk away from deals to make me change MH's at this time. My banks systems allows me to cruise the mountains with greater ease. Just my thoughts.

Bob
Capt. USMC (Ret)
2003 Damon Challenger
Old 02-26-2013, 12:24 PM   #62

Tiffin Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pete & Linda View Post
nbargolf what you are missing is very few gas or diesel owners drive 15,000 or more a year. I change my oil once a year (gaser), and a diesel user changes once a year, hence cost difference. I just met a guy here (Myrtle Beach) that purchased a used DP from camping world, they told him to change the oil and filter every 3,000 miles or 3 months!
Don't sweat the little thoughts. The diesel -vs- gas argument has been around for MANY years, and it won't be stopping anytime soon. There are many dieselers and gassers alike who respect each other's opinions and reasons for their decisions. The only one who will pay your bills is YOU! Like you, I am extremely happy in my second gasser, a choice purposely made. I have driven diesel MHs and buses for many years, and while I can attest to the quality ride, sound, and toughness, I still know that a gasser is currently my best choice. I don't need anyone to tell me how much my service for my gasser was last year, and what it would have been for a diesel. For my mostly less than 500 mile seasonal getaways, and that 1 or 2 maximum, 500+ mile getaway per year, my gasser is very acceptable to me since our comfort at the detination is still met. I will aways respect those who recognize other's ability to make choices over those who will condemn because you don't think like them.
DeWat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2013, 01:17 PM   #63

Fleetwood Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
DeWat I think you read way too much in my post.
Old 02-26-2013, 02:48 PM   #64

Winnebago Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
I'm not planning on getting rid of our gasser anytime soon- and we bought it for the long haul.
Old 02-26-2013, 03:05 PM   #65

Tiffin Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pete & Linda View Post
DeWat I think you read way too much in my post.
Not at all, and I do apologize if it appeared that way to you. I was actually siding with your reply while adding my own distaste for anyone who talks down another for not thinking the same way that they do. We all have our reasons for what we buy. Again, my apologies if it appeared offensive to you.
DeWat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2013, 03:10 PM   #66

Tiffin Owners Club
The last MH we had was a Winnebago gasser. The last gasser, deisel is the only way to go on a rig the size of MH. Granted, the Ford V10 is a tried and proven dependable engine, but why listen to the gasser noise and put up with the dog house. Generater in the front for weight, diesel in the rear for weight, no long drive shaft, the list goes on. So, to answer the OP question, I guess we all have to find out.
kewag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2013, 03:13 PM   #67

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeWat View Post
Don't sweat the little thoughts. The diesel -vs- gas argument has been around for MANY years, and it won't be stopping anytime soon. There are many dieselers and gassers alike who respect each other's opinions and reasons for their decisions. The only one who will pay your bills is YOU! Like you, I am extremely happy in my second gasser, a choice purposely made. I have driven diesel MHs and buses for many years, and while I can attest to the quality ride, sound, and toughness, I still know that a gasser is currently my best choice. I don't need anyone to tell me how much my service for my gasser was last year, and what it would have been for a diesel. For my mostly less than 500 mile seasonal getaways, and that 1 or 2 maximum, 500+ mile getaway per year, my gasser is very acceptable to me since our comfort at the detination is still met. I will aways respect those who recognize other's ability to make choices over those who will condemn because you don't think like them.
+1 Its all good in here...
Old 02-26-2013, 06:51 PM   #68

One 30-minute test drive in a 32' gasser was all it took for us to decide we would buy a diesel. Absolutely no comparison.

We bought a used '06 Mandalay 40E.
Old 02-27-2013, 09:43 AM   #69

It would seem to me that peoples requirements change. Maybe some are better at defining these before going out and making their RV purchase while other discover this after the purchase has been made. For me, I needed more room than a slide-in camper and have enough power to pull an enclosed trailer. Therefore, a DP was the only option. Like others have stated, the “maintenance costs” of the diesel are worth the added fuel mileage, power and ride comfort. Because I do all my own maintenance, I don’t really see the “maintenance costs” as being a huge factor. So whether it’s a gasser, diesel, large or small RV, they all are designed to suit people’s individual needs. Outline your requirements before hand and save yourself some money in the long run.
Old 02-28-2013, 12:47 AM   #70

We've owned one gas coach, and two diesel pushers. Just sold our terrific Winnebago Journey diesel, and are looking for our next motorhome.

We did the big diesel pusher thing, and found it was overkill for how we use it. We also had a big stacker car trailer that we also got rid of. We race vintage sports & Formula cars, and prepping and hauling three cars to a race weekend was just too much to deal with. So, we ordered a new smaller (20') enclosed race car trailer and will run one car a weekend. Much simpler...

So now we're searching for a good 2006-2007 32' coach. We typically only use the motorhome for racing trips, just a few days at a time. I'll use the extra cash we have from selling the diesel & stacker to put towards a late model Porsche 911 Turbo.

Tags
diesel, gas