Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 02-28-2013, 05:18 AM   #71

Monaco Owners Club
We never owned an RV or MH in our lives. We decided last year we were going to hit the road 6 months a year. What to buy? Not knowing a thing, we started Rv hunting. I wanted an older rig in case we didn't like rving we could jump out with little money loss. I wanted a diesel because I wanted the side wall space for my desk. I still work.
I finally found a 2001 diplomat 38A with 93k miles in great shape, inside and out. Took it for a ride, and stupidly bought it right there. No inspection. No maintenance records. Just had a feeling. It cost $35K from a private seller.
The next day we left on a 1000 mile trip for a week. Ran great. I put it in the shop. Had it checked out, changed all fluids and filters. We left on a 5 month trip. Changed all the fluids and filter again after 5k miles. Came back home. I figured I should now give it a check up after 13k miles I put on it. Went to Josam in Orlando. Had bearings repacked, alignment and height set. Went to cummins and had motor checked. This thing is perfect.
After reading many horror stories on used MHs we decided to keep this gem for years to come. We are leaving in a month for 8 months out west. I have total confidence in this trial rig. I'm very lucky.

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-28-2013, 07:09 AM   #72

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gorlininc
We never owned an RV or MH in our lives. We decided last year we were going to hit the road 6 months a year. What to buy? Not knowing a thing, we started Rv hunting. I wanted an older rig in case we didn't like rving we could jump out with little money loss. I wanted a diesel because I wanted the side wall space for my desk. I still work.
I finally found a 2001 diplomat 38A with 93k miles in great shape, inside and out. Took it for a ride, and stupidly bought it right there. No inspection. No maintenance records. Just had a feeling. It cost $35K from a private seller.
The next day we left on a 1000 mile trip for a week. Ran great. I put it in the shop. Had it checked out, changed all fluids and filters. We left on a 5 month trip. Changed all the fluids and filter again after 5k miles. Came back home. I figured I should now give it a check up after 13k miles I put on it. Went to Josam in Orlando. Had bearings repacked, alignment and height set. Went to cummins and had motor checked. This thing is perfect.
After reading many horror stories on used MHs we decided to keep this gem for years to come. We are leaving in a month for 8 months out west. I have total confidence in this trial rig. I'm very lucky.
I love your story. It just proves my favorite saying, " l would rather be lucky than good". Congratulations on your coach and may you have many safe and satisfying travels.

Steve Ownby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2013, 09:38 AM   #73

Quote:
Originally Posted by Automobilist View Post

So now we're searching for a good 2006-2007 32' coach. We typically only use the motorhome for racing trips, just a few days at a time. I'll use the extra cash we have from selling the diesel & stacker to put towards a late model Porsche 911 Turbo.
You didn't say but it appears that you are looking for a 32' gasser?

avid
2015 Bay Star 3103, 2013 Jeep Wrangler Sport S
Falcon 2 All terrain tow bar, RVi2 brake, Towmate TM3 wireless lights
avid_dk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2013, 01:50 PM   #74

I often wonder how many people that full time take the money from their sticks n bricks to put into a mid-range priced DP. I would love a diesel in place of my 2011 gasser. But doing 34 to 45 nights a year, half of them with in 100 miles of home base just does not justify the higher initial cost, yes higher maintenance costs when due like previously posted yearly oil changes to start and fuel costs that are 30% higher than 87 octane, I'll stay in my cheap, noisy (not), bad riding gas rig.
Old 02-28-2013, 02:15 PM   #75

Quote:
Originally Posted by vincee View Post
I often wonder how many people that full time take the money from their sticks n bricks to put into a mid-range priced DP. I would love a diesel in place of my 2011 gasser. But doing 34 to 45 nights a year, half of them with in 100 miles of home base just does not justify the higher initial cost, yes higher maintenance costs when due like previously posted yearly oil changes to start and fuel costs that are 30% higher than 87 octane, I'll stay in my cheap, noisy (not), bad riding gas rig.
Vincee I hear ya. Had a gasser and bought a DP last year. But only really use it for camping a couple week long trips and 10wknd trips a year. But the extra space and towing capacity is wonderful.
I had to find one that was 12 yrs old to make it cost effective. But its built so much nicer hence the 33,000 lbs vs the gasser weight around 1/3 of that. So if you look around you can find em and not spend much more than a gasser just might have to be older. Older couples tend to take care of a coach better than younger families. Again the solid cabinets vs particle board with little kids last longer. Imo
Old 02-28-2013, 02:22 PM   #76

Quote:
Originally Posted by avid_dk View Post
You didn't say but it appears that you are looking for a 32' gasser?

Yep, 32' gasser would be just about right.
Old 02-28-2013, 02:44 PM   #77

National RV Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
What a great thread this has become. There are so many points to ponder when making these decisions. Equity money from our house paid off the rig with a lot left over. Doing the same in a DP would of resulted in less, left over. All in all, between National building an exceptional product, WorkHorse building a great chassis, the W24 and me not afraid to improve what was already pretty good, made what we bought a good idea. Would I like a DP? Heck ya. A 42 foot Camelot comes to mind but I like the way my check book looks better. Cheers !!
Rick 2005 Dolphin 5376 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2013, 05:11 PM   #78

Fleetwood Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
1/3 of 33,000 lbs and particle board cabinets do NOT describe my Pace Arrow!
Old 02-28-2013, 05:32 PM   #79

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Not a gas to diesel story, but a true story anyway. Friend of ours bought a "new" DP with 3300 miles from a private party. 1800 delivery miles and 1500 miles on one trip. Seems the gentleman wanted the RV and his wife didn't but he bought it anyway. One trip and wife says "you can use it all you want but I am never going again". Original sticker was $260 and our friends bought it for about 1/2 that.

UFO Pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2013, 06:55 AM   #80

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pete & Linda View Post
1/3 of 33,000 lbs and particle board cabinets do NOT describe my Pace Arrow!
Sorry didn't mean to generalize as I was referring to my gasser (not all) which was just built with lightweight construction in mind.
Old 03-01-2013, 06:57 AM   #81

Quote:
Originally Posted by UFO Pilot View Post
Not a gas to diesel story, but a true story anyway. Friend of ours bought a "new" DP with 3300 miles from a private party. 1800 delivery miles and 1500 miles on one trip. Seems the gentleman wanted the RV and his wife didn't but he bought it anyway. One trip and wife says "you can use it all you want but I am never going again". Original sticker was $260 and our friends bought it for about 1/2 that.
Should of kept the RV and got rid of the dw.. I question the character of someone who doesn't enjoy rving. Lol
Old 03-01-2013, 07:17 AM   #82

Fleetwood Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
It would have most likely been more expensive to get rid of her! Someone got a good deal. Not a problem gratelakes.
Old 03-01-2013, 07:48 AM   #83

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pete & Linda View Post
It would have most likely been more expensive to get rid of her! Someone got a good deal. Not a problem gratelakes.
Yea when it comes down to a divorce taking the 120k loss on an RV is a deal.
Old 03-01-2013, 08:32 AM   #84

Thor Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
gas and diesel

A case can be made to buy a "new" gas unit over an older diesel for the same money. As a new RVer, we opted for the new gas. A good choice for us as the unit is very well equipped and the Ford v10 is pretty good and easy to maintain. Oil changes are easy, filters are easy, access is easy as we like to do our own maintenance. We don't tow a car so that is not a factor, although Ford says this would not be a problem.

Tags
diesel, gas