Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 03-01-2013, 09:05 AM   #85

Welcome aviator37! I think you will find that the Ford V10 offers plenty of power to tow anything under 5K pounds. My old MH had the older version V10 with only 315hp and I pulled our Rav4 on a dolly all over the northeast, Maine, Vermont, Northern NY etc. and did not know it was behind me. This motor has been around a long time and Ford has done a nice job upgrading it over the years. Ease of maintenance on it like filter and oil changes are one of the reasons I am in a gas rig at this point.

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-01-2013, 09:05 AM   #86

Winnebago Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by aviator37 View Post
A case can be made to buy a "new" gas unit over an older diesel for the same money. As a new RVer, we opted for the new gas. A good choice for us as the unit is very well equipped and the Ford v10 is pretty good and easy to maintain. Oil changes are easy, filters are easy, access is easy as we like to do our own maintenance. We don't tow a car so that is not a factor, although Ford says this would not be a problem.

X2 Aviator, and I tow a big boat from time to time also.

Old 03-01-2013, 09:09 AM   #87
Senior Dude

Forest River Owners Club
Because of affordability, our first RV was a 2000 35' Winnebago with a 6.8 V10. Hated the screaming down the road and pulling a vehicle was a chore. Going up hills almost caused me to have to extend my holidays it was so slow. LOL. Our next RV we went to a 2003 36.5 HR with an 8.1 V8. Plenty of power but still noisy and lots of heat in the cab. New coach is a 2000 37S/O Dynasty with a 350hp Cummins. I see this as best of all worlds. Small enough to go anywhere, big enough for us, plenty of power to climb, pull, do whatever, silent and cool in the front cab. Can't wait to get out on the open road.
Old 03-02-2013, 05:55 AM   #88

Quote:
Originally Posted by vincee View Post
I often wonder how many people that full time take the money from their sticks n bricks to put into a mid-range priced DP. I would love a diesel in place of my 2011 gasser. But doing 34 to 45 nights a year, half of them with in 100 miles of home base just does not justify the higher initial cost, yes higher maintenance costs when due like previously posted yearly oil changes to start and fuel costs that are 30% higher than 87 octane, I'll stay in my cheap, noisy (not), bad riding gas rig.
True about the fuel cost but in our gasser we got 6.5 mpg and with our present DP we get 8.5 mpg that is a little over 30% better mileage, so I would said it is a wash. The oil cost $160 more for the diesel over the gas. this is AMSOIL high end Synthetic. If you go with a lesser oil the cost difference would not be as much. The oil filters are close to a wash. So on a yearly basis, assuming the gasser doesn't travel over 5000 miles and the diesel doesn't travel over 15,000. We are talking one oil change. IMHO the diesel is well worth the $160-$200 difference in the normal maintenance.
The two of us and Kota, a 25 lbs Teddy Bear breed, makes three. Living the life in a 41 Fleetwood Providence pulling a Ford F150. Our trip of a lifetime 2014 Alaska all the way to Fairbanks. unbelievable beauty . as you go by.
nbargolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2013, 06:11 AM   #89

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pete & Linda View Post
nbargolf what you are missing is very few gas or diesel owners drive 15,000 or more a year. I change my oil once a year (gaser), and a diesel user changes once a year, hence cost difference. I just met a guy here (Myrtle Beach) that purchased a used DP from camping world, they told him to change the oil and filter every 3,000 miles or 3 months!
Our cummins owners manual states oil and filter change every 15,000 miles. Yes your right about one change a year if gasser doesn't travel over 5000 miles and the diesel doesn't travel over 15,000. So the cost difference for AMSOIL Synthetic is about $160 dollars plus the filters which is close to a wash but add $40. so for $200 a year I can drive a DP vs a gasser. I have had both and to us there is no comparison in the handling and comfort the DP is far superior in both IMHO of course.
The two of us and Kota, a 25 lbs Teddy Bear breed, makes three. Living the life in a 41 Fleetwood Providence pulling a Ford F150. Our trip of a lifetime 2014 Alaska all the way to Fairbanks. unbelievable beauty . as you go by.
nbargolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2013, 08:56 AM   #90

I started out looking at C's to test the RV waters and ended up looking at Used A's after lurking here at irv2 for months. Ended up renting a nice 2005 Monaco from a friend instead of buying. Had to put tires on it and get it serviced but its now sitting in my driveway awaiting our departure from Florida to the west coast and back in late April. Expensive? You bet but, still a lot cheaper than buying and I can just hand back the keys when we're done. If I fall in love with the lifestyle....I'll buy it.
Old 03-02-2013, 09:12 AM   #91
Senior Dude

Forest River Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by speedpeddler View Post
I started out looking at C's to test the RV waters and ended up looking at Used A's after lurking here at irv2 for months. Ended up renting a nice 2005 Monaco from a friend instead of buying. Had to put tires on it and get it serviced but its now sitting in my driveway awaiting our departure from Florida to the west coast and back in late April. Expensive? You bet but, still a lot cheaper than buying and I can just hand back the keys when we're done. If I fall in love with the lifestyle....I'll buy it.
If the rent is right, sounds like you can have your cake and eat it too!
Old 03-02-2013, 09:34 AM   #92
RVM #74

Tiffin Owners Club
I occasionally tow trailers with a Dodge Diesel pickup so I knew the difference between gas & diesel. We almost bought a new gas MH because of the cost, but decided to wait and look harder. After doing my homework & a year of looking, there he was, the right MH at the right price. So glad that I waited and got a slightly used DP. And the story on it was that the PO stepped up to a 43 footer.
Old 03-02-2013, 10:52 AM   #93

Quote:
Originally Posted by NLOVNIT View Post
Yes the do. An expensive mistake, but they do it all the time.

Lori-
I doubt they paid that much. However, some are impulsive buyers then change their mind.
Old 03-03-2013, 09:18 AM   #94

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
We have friends who have switched MH's frequently. They seem to buy compulsively, decide they want something different, take the loss, and then do it all over again. So.......there are all kinds of folks out there.......and as long as they are having fun............Good for them.

In 16 years..........13 full time, we have had a 5th wheel, and two gas MH's on Workhorse chassis. Could not be happier. This is a great thread! I have learned a lot from it.

Jim
Old 03-06-2013, 11:16 AM   #95

Winnebago Owners Club
An RV dealer we talk to says it happens all the time. People buy a gas Class A take a trip or two and come back complaining. He takes them for a test drive in a DP and they want to trade up. He stopped selling gas Class As a few years ago presumably for that reason. Maybe he was just trying to sell us on the DPs he had rather thAn lose our business, but there may have been some truth to it as well. We bought a gas rig from another dealer, but who knows what the future holds after we use it enough to have an opinion as to whether to trade up?
Old 03-07-2013, 07:35 AM   #96

Fleetwood Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Sounds like he should still seal gas units so he can get two sales to one RVer!
Old 03-07-2013, 11:41 AM   #97

Come to think of it, (sometimes hard to do!) I got my 2011 Georgetown with 4000 miles on it almost exactly one year to the day of the original in service date brand new. Previous owners bought it, took it down to Florida for the winter, called the dealer where they bought it from the following spring and negotiated a deal for a Thor diesel before they brought it back to WNY. My GT was their first motor home.

Tags
diesel, gas