Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 02-20-2013, 06:05 PM   #1

Do People Really Buy a GAS RV, Use it Once, and Switch to Diesel?

I am new to this forum and just starting to look at various RVs for sale, new and used, just to learn about the various rigs available.

Somewhere along the line I have run across a private party ad for a nice 2012 Class A, gas. Sellers say they used it only once and then decided that they would prefer a diesel rig.

Maybe it is because I am new to all this, or overthink things, but it would seem that people who paid $140k or more for a rig would have determined before that purchase that they would prefer diesel instead.

Is this kind of one-trip-and-then-switch-to-another-rig approach something more common than I'd expect?

Somehow it just seems odd to me.

Thanks in advance for your feedback. I am here to learn at the feet of the experts.
Goin Coastal is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-20-2013, 06:10 PM   #2
Community Administrator

Pond Piggies Club
LA Gulf Coast Campers
Outdoors RV Owners Club
Entegra Owners Club
Skyline Owners Group
Yes the do. An expensive mistake, but they do it all the time.

Lori-
NLOVNIT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2013, 06:13 PM   #3

Fleetwood Owners Club
Certainly doubt this decision easily made. I would ask about warranty status, maintenance records, millage, and of course an independent inspection. Things happen stranger than this? I would be cautious for sure!
Clayobx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2013, 06:13 PM   #4
Community Administrator

Welcome to our wonderful world of Rving. That kind of one and done is quite expensive and very rarely used. People who don't do their research sometimes make mistakes. Some are willing to bite the bullet and move on to something else at a hefty cost. It happens from diesel to gas , class A to C and visa versa etc.
Cliff

Cliff,Tallulah and Buddy ( 1999-2012 )
CLIFFTALL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2013, 06:26 PM   #5

All you need to do is drive by a car dealer and look for a " new " Chev on the Ford lot. Same princpal only more $$$.
But you need to look closely , because the real reason for the sale may be hidden; poor quality build; major time in for repairs; as mentioned above , look into all the paperwork. If the unit spent more time at the dealer than on the road , then...... RUN!
Old 02-20-2013, 06:30 PM   #6

Newmar Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Spartan Chassis
A well healed friend of my step dad, had purchase a nice low mileage class A used it a few times, then took a long trip with friends with a second rig. The second rig would out run and out pull his rig in the mountains. First week home he sold it, and bought another one solely based on the fact his buddy could out run him
Old 02-20-2013, 06:32 PM   #7

I don't doubt it happens. I was at Lazy Days a few weeks ago negotiating on a 2013 (yes, a 2013) that had been purchased and the owners decided they didn't like it that much. However, I've never known of a single story like this I could otherwise verify.
ralphie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2013, 06:38 PM   #8

Fleetwood Owners Club
Okay, I'll be the first to admit it... Last fall (2012), I purchased an older 34 gas Damon for a very good price, because I wanted to check out "land yachting"... After just two trips, I had the bug so bad, I was DP shopping! By December, I had traded my Damon for a "new to me" 39 DP... I got a great trade in, and am loving the new ride and hanging out on IRV2!
StevieG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2013, 06:38 PM   #9

Tiffin Owners Club
papaw.1

As you will find out on this forum anything is possible.I know everyone of us has made expensive mistakes but,like the others have posted check the paperwork very,very close.I hope you have Many Safe and Happy Miles and Smiles
Old 02-20-2013, 06:39 PM   #10
Moderator Emeritus

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
I would be inclined to agree with the OP, that this would be an odd thing...and also agree with Clay, that a very complete check of this rig and it's records before purchase would be smart.

There will be used 1 year old RVs on sale everywhere for many reasons - demo's, show circuit rigs, and the occasional "lemon" among some of the reasons.

Also, some people do pay retail for RV's...but from 20% to as much as 30% off MSRP is not unknown for new RV purchases...so depreciation after 1 model years could be as much as 40%-45% off mfgt new MSRP.

Would someone dump a nearly new rig for a different type? - Sure.
Is it common? - I bet not.

If it's the right RV for you, a good deal could be had - Best of Luck!
Kim and Steve, Mustang LCDR (USCG Ret), Outlaw #1193
https://www.irv2.com/attachments/signaturepics/sigpic84535_7.gif
WE LOVE OUR OUTLAW RV
Scarab0088 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2013, 06:41 PM   #11

Before I bought our first MH which was a diesel, I rented gas class a's. Never rented a diesel guess they were not available. The gassers were nice but not what we wanted for many reasons but one has to look at ones budget. Either way the life style is great!!!
As infor I had a diesel class a before my current rig
Old 02-20-2013, 06:51 PM   #12

Bought my first RV as an entry level class A Never owned driven one prior to purchase within 11 mos traded up to a diesel motor coach. within the first year with the new coach had so many problems with it (Broke down and towed three times ) cargo doors denting at latch locations repaired three times under warranty but would reappear on the next trip. traded up to a better class of coach again diesel very satisfied now would never go back to gas Did it cost me a lot of money it sure did but was worth it
doublechevy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2013, 07:01 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goin Coastal View Post
I am new to this forum and just starting to look at various RVs for sale, new and used, just to learn about the various rigs available.

Somewhere along the line I have run across a private party ad for a nice 2012 Class A, gas. Sellers say they used it only once and then decided that they would prefer a diesel rig.

Maybe it is because I am new to all this, or overthink things, but it would seem that people who paid $140k or more for a rig would have determined before that purchase that they would prefer diesel instead.

Is this kind of one-trip-and-then-switch-to-another-rig approach something more common than I'd expect?

Somehow it just seems odd to me.

Thanks in advance for your feedback. I am here to learn at the feet of the experts.
Those are the people than have not discovered IRV2
okgc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2013, 07:01 PM   #14

Tiffin Owners Club
I'm one, but one season, not one trip. When we bought our first MH, a '12 Thor Hurricane 32A, we bought it knowing that it would probably not be a keeper. We knew ahead that it was an "Entry Level"... whatever that is, motorhome, and the purpose was to ensure that the RV lifestyle was for us. I have driven class As and over-the-road buses for others for years, but never owned for myself while knowing about the costs associated with diesel. Our goal was to keep the Hurricane for somewhere around 5 years, then trade up if the lifestyle was for us. If not, our purchase was under 100k, so not what we considered a hard hit compared to the beautiful DPs out there. We also knew ahead about having to "shake it down" and the depreciation hit that we would be taking, but took that risk rather than buying used and possibly still having to throw money at it and having an even lower trade value. Well after the very first season, we fell in love with our current Winnebago Vista 35B (after almost closing on the 35F first my choice, the DW picked the 35B). While the Vista line is also considered entry level (there goes that term again), we plan on it being our keeper for quite a while. We still cherish the memories of our Hurricane, and would not be upset if we were still in it. It's just that our dealer made us one of those offers that we couldn't refuse on the trade and the new purchase. We both agree that we don't travel enough to justify the cost of a DP, so if we do decide to go that route, it's going to be years down the road when the DW can finally retire. Our Hurricane was traded in excellent condition and with only 1965 miles... keeping in mind that somewhere around 900 of those miles came from the delivery.
DeWat is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
diesel, gas