Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2
Old 11-02-2012, 04:24 PM   #1
Do you book campsites in advance

We did a two month trip through Canada and US this past summer and for the most part we had all RV campgrounds booked in advance. We travel alone just the two of us and we only stay at campgrounds that have high ratings and good reviews. Problem is we sometimes decide to change our pace and or schedule and we wound up losing our campground fee on several occasions. We are wondering...Do most of you guys book in advance or just book the night before or same day. If so do you find you ever have trouble getting into a good campground on short notice or will you generally not have a problem? Last year was our first year touring around and we are learning as we go.

2017 Entegra Coach Anthem 44B/450 Cummins/Spartan
bill2011 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-02-2012, 04:33 PM   #2

Newmar Owners Club
Coastal Campers
We book holiday weekends (Memorial Day, 4th of July and Labor Day). I also check some areas for festivals or other celebrations to see if there might be a shortage of rv sites. Other than that we have been getting away from booking all of our stops. This allows more flexability.

'05 Dutch Star 4015, '16 Rubicon OlllllO, & HD Ultra ElectraGlide, NKK14278L
Brigadoon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2012, 04:35 PM   #3
I would agree with the above, we'll book holiday w/e's, but other than that pretty much just book a day or two in advance.
tatonka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2012, 04:36 PM   #4
Damon Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
If the intended campground is in a "high demand" area (Florida during winter or northern states in the summer) we book ahead. Otherwise we "play it by ear" and have been fortunate to experience few problems with finding a place to stay. Planning a lengthy stay can also prompt us to make reservations at our favorite campground.

All the best - Bronk
bronk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2012, 04:41 PM   #5
Winnebago Owners Club
We usually stay for extended times, like 3 months or more. We do not book in advance. We lost $650 on an advanced reservation due to the loss of a contract. Never again. We also like to personally look at the campgrounds before committing to them.
Dan Sees, Full Timing in the MH & Part timing in a S&B In Hampstead, NC
2013 Winnebago Journey 42e, 2014 Featherlite Car Hauler 3110 17.5', 2008 Mazda MX5,
2008 Toyota FJ Cruiser
dsbike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2012, 04:48 PM   #6
If there is a campground that we really want to stay at, we book ahead. This is primarily at the National parks (Zion, Arches, etc.) where spaces are limited and demand is high. Otherwise, we take our chances and rarely have a problem. Worst case, there's always a WalMart, rest area, etc. for a night.
2011 Newmar Canyon Star 3411; Workhorse W22; 8.1L; Allison 6-speed
2013 Honda CRV
Portage, MI
RetiredBob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2012, 05:03 PM   #7

Newmar Owners Club
We have always booked in advanced. Yes there has been times when we would have liked to stay a bit longer. We kept moving. For 2013, we're going to go a little more unorganized and only book when we stay weekends or longer periods.

Now that I've read the "walmart thread", I can roll in, put out my slides and awning, start the bbq and relax for the night. All is good!
John & Diann
2014 Dutch Star 4364 - 2011 CRV EX-L AWD
JohnT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2012, 06:13 PM   #8
Winnebago Owners Club
I always book in advance. Most of the time only a couple days, but have booked as far as a month ahead. I always feel that if I have a place booked, I will only drive that far for the day. Driving over 300 miles per day is a killer for me, so it is nice to have the comfort of knowing that there is a place that knows I am going to be there. Usually, if I decide to spend an extra day where we are parked, a phone call ahead will always suffice to satisfy the cancellation of the next reservation. I have never been charged for giving notice of cancellation.
Joe and Joan...Retired Educators
Maggie..Calico, Clayton..Silver Tabby
2003 Winnebago Adventurer 38G, 2013 GMC Terrain
tbomn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2012, 06:24 PM   #9
Since we travel at "off-peak" times, we not only get lower rates, but we only reserve a day or two before we plan to leave our current location. As already stated, WalMart and such are a great backup plan in the event of the unexpected.

RVing is an Adventure - WallyDocking doubly so.
2008 Itasca Meridian 37H & 2015 Flagstaff T12RBST
2011 & 2012 Len & Pat's "One lap of America"
27K miles & 41 states in 13 months - Woo Woo
Yellowstone Lake 6-1-2012
bluepill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2012, 06:25 PM   #10
Thor Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
We always book ahead to make sure we have the site we want. That said, the length in advance depends on where we're going - this last summer the RV park we wanted to stay in, in Loveland CO, required us to make a reservation in early February for a middle of July stay. Here in Texas I can usually make a reservation a couple if weeks in advance an get a fantastic site. Of course exclusions are Texas spring break which require a 3-5 month out reservation.
Cheers from Central Texas
SPICoaster - 2008 Holiday Rambler Alumascape Suite 5th Wheel
SPICoaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2012, 06:39 PM   #11
Community Moderator

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Its pretty simple...high demand = reservation needed. The higher the demand, like Thankgiving week in Sedona, the earlier you need to call.

We had no reservations during a transit Ca to Or and back during the 3 weeks after the the typical Spring Break...but each of those RV parks had been booked solid during the holiday.
Kim and Steve, Mustang LCDR (Ret), '07 Damon Outlaw #1193
I have seen gross intolerance shown in support of tolerance, Samuel Coleridge
Scarab0088 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2012, 07:43 PM   #12
We almost always book ahead, especially in the North in the summer. What we find difficult is trying to determine how long to stay at each campground. As you stated, we only stay at highly rated canpgrounds with good reviews.
Jim and Lynda, (Sophie, Jake, attack trained killer Shi-Tzus :-))

2003 Fleetwood Expedition 38N 2005 Saturn Vue
jlfbatonrg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2012, 07:59 PM   #13

Send a message via Skype™ to vermilye
I rarely book ahead - I never know what I'm going to discover that keeps me in an area longer than I expected. Only exceptions are those others have mentioned - holiday weekends & rallies. I do sometimes make a reservation during the morning for that night if I'm in a popular area. On the last two long trips (111 & 138 days) I've always found a place to sleep & I haven't "Wallydocked" yet!
vermilye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2012, 08:02 PM   #14
Monaco Owners Club
We just did BC,Alberta and US national parks

We almost always book ahead and say on the last 10 week trip 95%
We are at grapevine right now. Booked in Saturday had to move or leave Thursday
Saw the office on Wednesday to extend- just 2 spots left thru the weekend

2005 Monaco Signature Castle 1V
2013 Subaru Outback Toad
SteveSkinner is offline   Reply With Quote