Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
Closed Thread
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 12-02-2012, 09:54 AM   #1

Question Do you carry a gun or not!

Ok...I was reading the thread on "Where do you carry a gun in your RV".
I would never carry a gun in mine!
I park where there are lots of lights, security cameras whenever possible and close to other rv,s! I figure safety is in numbers. Besides, by the time someone was able to break a window and climb a ladder to get in I would have lots of time to hit the air horn to get peoples attention (noise is a great deterrent to thieves) and in as a very last option get a knife!

So tell me this!

1. Do you carry a gun?
2. Why do you carry or not carry one?
3. Where do you travel to really need a gun?
4. If you don't carry one what precautions do you take to stay safe?
5. How may people have heard of someone been robbed inside their RV? (I've heard about people being robbed in the parking lot near their RV but I've never heard of a forced entry!)

Eric

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-02-2012, 10:02 AM   #2

Fleetwood Owners Club
1. Yes
2. Safety for my DW and myself, disabled.
3. The world is a dangerous place.
4.NA
5. I have media knowledge of several senior husband and wife RV'ers robbed and murdered!

Old 12-02-2012, 10:05 AM   #3

Newmar Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by rvfunhunter View Post
I park where there are lots of lights, security cameras whenever possible and close to other rv,s! I figure safety is in numbers. Besides, by the time someone was able to break a window and climb a ladder to get in I would have lots of time to hit the air horn to get peoples attention (noise is a great deterrent to thieves) and in as a very last option get a knife!

So tell me this!

1. Do you carry a gun?
5. How may people have heard of someone been robbed inside their RV? (I've heard about people being robbed in the parking lot near their RV but I've never heard of a forced entry!)

Eric
Here ya go:
Man Fatally Shot in RV Parked at Wal-Mart | RV Business

Vallejo Man Shot, Killed Near RV Park « CBS San Francisco

Police investigate shooting in Hurricane RV park | ksl.com
Old 12-02-2012, 10:06 AM   #4

Don't think it would be a great idea to post on a public website if you are carrying or not...but each to his own and here is a link with a lot of opinions. Should we think about carrying a gun - RV-Dreams Community Forum
Old 12-02-2012, 11:02 AM   #5

Tell me this: Why do you carry a screw driver?

Just like a screw driver, a gun is a tool-you have it in case of need. I carry. I have been handling guns since I was 11 years old. I was a police officer for several years; I am trained in the use of guns. I do not flash them around, I am not enamored by them. Better to have and not need than to need and not have. And remember - if you carry a gun - an unloaded gun is useless.
Old 12-02-2012, 11:44 AM   #6

Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by rvfunhunter View Post

So tell me this!

1. Do you carry a gun?

Eric
well when you show up for a gun fight with a knife, them air horns will really save ya. This is really a pointless thread, sorry
Old 12-02-2012, 11:56 AM   #7

Sometimes I do, and sometimes I don't...I always have a weapon in my MH when we are camping, for a variety of reasons, not least of which is that when we are camping we are usually far removed from civilization, and if (big IF) anything happens I hope I am prepared. I have a concealed carry permit, and yet I do not carry a concealed weapon around town...for a whole lot of reasons...
Old 12-02-2012, 12:02 PM   #8

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Reference your comment "...very last option get a knife!", self-defense is a very personal decision. In my planning my first priority is dealing with the threat from a distance. I would use a knife if necessary, but getting into arm's reach of someone who is younger, faster, and stronger would likely prove disastrous. In your planning consider all the ramifications before ruling out any method. All of the various means of defense have pros and cons, choose the one that fits in with your own personal beliefs and offers you the greatest amount of personal safety.
Cum catapultae proscriptae soli proscript catapultas habebunt
Old 12-02-2012, 12:03 PM   #9

It is not always the 'two legged' threat that one has to contend with. A bear that is having a bad day will not care about any loud noise. It maybe hungry or have any number of other issues. What about Cougars, coyotes, dog packs........
For me having a firearm is for the protection of my family against any threat.
Old 12-02-2012, 12:08 PM   #10

I carry insurance and a fire extinguisher, but have yet and hope to never use or need either.

Just saying.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Old 12-02-2012, 12:12 PM   #11

Fleetwood Owners Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Randy1252
Tell me this: Why do you carry a screw driver?
Edited to stay on Topic: Yes
Please disregard the rest.

Same reason I carry tackle, rods and reals. I'm no threat to anyone - very little threat to fish - extremely effective with a screw driver - and as for the other - as is true for the above - nothing beats having the right tool for the job. In the case at hand - the other guy won't be loaning you his. I've borrowed tools, tackle and such but can't imagine running over to my neighbor with a nut job in pursuit and trying to borrow the right tool.

Besides - I took an oath to "be prepared" when I was a boy. Been working at that all my life.
Old 12-02-2012, 12:14 PM   #12

I am always armed whether it be traveling, hiking, or a trip to the local Walmart. I have chosen to be the proverbial "sheepdog" as opposed to a member of "the helpless heard sheep". In sad reality, proven over and over in communities large and small, we live in an often vicious society and I realize I cannot depend on a call to 911 to protect myself, my wife, or someone else. When the immediate need for self-protection arises, one must be PREPARED - both mentally and physically - to protect themself.
Old 12-02-2012, 12:18 PM   #13

Ford Super Duty Owner
i dont always carry a gun but when i do

it because i CAN

brian j
Old 12-02-2012, 12:25 PM   #14
Community Administrator

Newmar Owners Club
Retired Fire Service RVer's
Spartan Chassis
Folks, we're drifting away from a RV related discussion and iRV2's rules require any firearms discussion to be RV related.

Thanks!

Closed Thread