Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 10-14-2010, 09:12 AM   #1

Do you carry a spare?

This is a “big A’s” question primarily. I’d like to carry a spare because it just makes me feel better. How many do carry? Besides spare I’d carry a 20-ton jack / stand / torque multiplier. And currently adding a air-chuck to the rig for daily tire preasure checks / fills.

2003 Fleetwood Discovery 38T Pusher
Cdn-Tx is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-14-2010, 11:53 AM   #2

Monaco Owners Club
Newmar Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Spartan Chassis
I carry an unmounted spare. I have no plans to ever try and change it myself, but I don't want to be stuck in podunk without a ready replacement when I call road service and I have the space in the basement, so why not?
2017 Dutch Star 4018 - Sold - Towing Jeep Grand Cherokee Trailhawk
deaton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2010, 12:21 PM   #3

Winnebago Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
I carry a mounted spare and wouldn't leave home without it. This past July 4th found us stranded on the side of the expressway with a blown tire. We searched for a service that would come out and change the tire. Due to the holiday the one company we found near the Montana/Wyoming border did respond after about an hour. He said that if we didn't have the spare we would have been camping for quite some time! Sure, you'll save some money by eliminating the weight of the spare but when you need it, you really need it. I completely agree with deaton, don't do the change yourself. It's dangerous and difficult to do. Believe me, it isn't like changing a car tire!
Old 10-14-2010, 12:24 PM   #4

Newmar Owners Club
Nope, do carry tire plug kits though. Been RV'ing since the late 70's, only had one tire problem, that was on a Class C that did have a spare, but the rims were 17"!Only time I would consider carrying a spare is on a trip to Alaska or Mexico/South America, then it would be just one unmounted. 22.5 inch rim and tire are to big for me to want to handle, not to mention the torque wrench necessary to get the lug nuts off and on.

Road service costs are a lot less than assembling the necessary tools and equipment to deal with changing tires mounted on 22.5" rims.

Of course this is just my opinion.

Spike
FMCA F113720, NKK 18573
Spikester is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2010, 12:36 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spikester View Post
. 22.5 inch rim and tire are to big for me to want to handle, not to mention the torque wrench necessary to get the lug nuts off and on.

Road service costs are a lot less than assembling the necessary tools and equipment to deal with changing tires mounted on 22.5" rims.

Spike
Thanks,
Can’t count how many truck tires / wheels I’ve changed when I was younger so not overly worried about that. As long as you’re on level ground and jacked just off the road surface they walk off and on not too bad. Course that assumes the flat happens on level ground! Have a torque multiplier so getting nuts off and on not a problem. Carrying a spare tire un-mounted might be a good compromise. Murphy’s law suggests if I have one…I’ll never get a flat but if not…

2003 Fleetwood Discovery 38T Pusher
Cdn-Tx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2010, 01:59 PM   #6

I had a spare on my previous MH with the 19.5" tires. I could handle the 19.5" tire but no way with my 22.5" tires on my 44' Signature. On the previous MH the built in jacks worked great on lifting it along with a 20 ton jack. I changed a couple of tires on the open road and rotated them while at home. Don't forget that you also need that second special wrench for taking off the inner dual drive axle tires. It is a square head. You should also use a 3/4" breaker bar because a 1/2" drive is not going to hack the program. If you plan on changing your own tires then you should loosen all the nuts and rear studs at home and tighten then up yourself with your eight foot bar so you know you can loosen then. I put anti-sieze compound on the threads and nut cones. You also need a small step ladder or stool so you can step off onto the eight foot cheater to torque them up. It is almost impossible to tighten them enough without stepping your full weight onto the cheater at the correct distance to generate 500 ft lbs of torque.
Mike Canter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2010, 02:01 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by deaton View Post
I carry an unmounted spare. I have no plans to ever try and change it myself, but I don't want to be stuck in podunk without a ready replacement when I call road service and I have the space in the basement, so why not?
Ditto!
Old 10-14-2010, 02:03 PM   #8

Newmar Owners Club
Hi Cdn-Tx,
I carry a mounted spare tire. I also carry a couple of different tire patch kits. I have changed tires twice on my coach. Right front and right rear inside dually. It is a long story as to why I changed the tires instead of contacting emergency road service (posted in another thread). I also carry the jack stands, an air wrench that will break your wrists if one is not careful. I also carry a torque wrench.

I carry all this stuff because of a personality defect. I'm a retired mechanical engineer.
Nobody Knows Your Coach Like Somebody Who Owns One Just Like Yours
GaryKD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2010, 02:28 PM   #9
Moderator Emeritus

Nope, no spare. I have road service and we full time so I can't afford giving up the storage space. Agreed, it's a risk and a trade off like so many things are in this lifestyle but this is the path we've chosen. I have a TPMS and try to take good care of my tires to ward off problems... but?

Rick

2007 Itasca Ellipse 40FD
RickO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2010, 04:45 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by GaryKD View Post
Hi Cdn-Tx,
I carry a mounted spare tire. I also carry a couple of different tire patch kits. I have changed tires twice on my coach. Right front and right rear inside dually. It is a long story as to why I changed the tires instead of contacting emergency road service (posted in another thread). I also carry the jack stands, an air wrench that will break your wrists if one is not careful. I also carry a torque wrench.

I carry all this stuff because of a personality defect. I'm a retired mechanical engineer.
I share your ailment and carry the same. Not retired just yet.
Old 10-14-2010, 04:47 PM   #11

I don't carry a spare. If we do the Alaska trip, I do plan to put new tires on the rig and take the best of the old ones to carry as a spare just in case. Of course that means I will have to leave some of my stuff at home to get the tire in the storage compartment.
Retired in Apple Valley, California
Rich and Cork is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2010, 05:01 PM   #12

Forest River Owners Club
I don't carry a spare ...did carry a used unmounted tire for a few years but figured it was rotting in the basement, and taking up space and weight capacity. In the very unlikely event one of my closely monitored tires gives up, I'll deal with it along with my road service.

If we ever go to Alaska, I might consider carrying a used tire for the duration of the trip.
AFChap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2010, 05:23 PM   #13

Fleetwood Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
Send a message via Yahoo to Rick Long
Ever try to get cell phone coverage in Nevada? I have Good Sam, but it won't do me any good if I can't call them, so YES, I carry a mounted spare, a 20 ton jack, electric and air impact drivers, compressor and a torque wrench.
Rick Long is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2010, 07:42 PM   #14

Our newly acquired rig has a mounted spare. I didn't change it when I bought new tires, as I figure it will only be used for a short distance. It has never been on the road. It's stashed on a frame under the LP tank, so it's not taking up usable cargo-bay space.

I certailny don't plan on changing the wheel myself. That's what roadside service is for, but having a tire and wheel ready to go makes life a lot easier. I'm willing to wait a while for roadside service, but I figure if they know I have a tire and wheel ready to go, it will make things go more smoothly.