Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2
Old 11-09-2013, 08:24 AM   #15

Carolina Campers
I don't have a spare, but I do have two ERS options available to me. One through my insurance company the other through Coach-Net.

One thing that you should carry a spare of is a serpentine belt. It is actually more likely you will experience a broken serpentine belt than a flat tire....

There are many other failures that will require a ERS call over a flat tire.

IMHO, preventative tire care (correct inflation, having a TPMS, routine rotation, and replacing them before they are at risk of failure, and speed control) are far more important than having a spare.

A flat or blow out can happen to anyone. But IMHO, it will never happen to the majority of those that simply take care of doing all preventative care procedures.

Regardless, enjoying the travel with as little worry as possible is what keeps this fun.

tedgard01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-09-2013, 08:33 AM   #16
Winnebago Owners Club
Originally Posted by bsinmich View Post
My wife can not lift or change the tires on our MH so we have a 22.5" unmounted in one compartment and that could be changed if necessary. That is why w have road service.
Are we to assume that your DW is the mechanic in the family? .

Falcon190 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2013, 08:38 AM   #17
Just south of Twin Cities

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
When I was a youngster and driving a semi, I changed my own tires on the road. They were pretty heavy then. The 22.5 tires on our MH are way to heavy for me nowadays.

If I have a blowout I call for a Mobil tire truck to rescue me. Only had to do it once in almost twenty years, but it was quite a treat to eat lunch while the young guy in the ditch struggled with the tire.

That said, I do not carry a spare for the MH. No place to store it and too heavy for me. I do carry spares for the toad and tow dolly.
Retired FAA ATC, VFW, LEGION, NRA (Life Member)
2002 Journey D L 36, 2013 Demco KarKaddy III,
Toad 2012 VW Passat Diesel
Lost little Bitzy New kitty named Oreo.
Cooperhawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2013, 08:38 AM   #18
Monaco Owners Club
Holiday Rambler Owners Club
I carry a spare cell phone. That gets me all the tire service I have ever needed.
"96" HR Navigator, 38' no slides, Cummins, Allison
next stop
t55watson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2013, 08:44 AM   #19
Senior Dude

Forest River Owners Club
I don't carry a spare for a lot of the reasons mentioned. No room cause it takes up valuable space, too heavy, to big of an investment to age from non use. Never had an issue, so I think I can use my roadside assistance and buy a tire when I need to.
Les (RVM12), Bonnie, Morgan and 4 leggers Bella & Bruce
2010 Forest River Cardinal 3450RL 40' Full Body Paint- 2015 Ram 3500 Laramie 6.7 ltr Turbo Diesel, 68RFE Trans. 4x4 SRW SB Pullrite 2900 18K FMCA-420438 Good Sam
Dogpatch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2013, 08:45 AM   #20
I carry a mounted spare because my older HR Endeavor had one between the frame rails. Actually, having the spare wheel is more important to me than the tire. Never had to use either but whenever I buy new tires I have the best of the old tires remounted on the spare.
2005 Newmar Essex 4502
1997 HR Endeavor 37, CAT, 1996 Geo Tracker
bruceisla is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2013, 10:20 AM   #21
I decided to carry a spare after going back and forth on the issue.....Bought a used wheel off Ebay and carry it mounted with a used tire in the rear of the Wrangler I tow.........They are 19.5 so I can still manhandle it into and out of the Jeep.....If I had to , I could change it....But I have road service for that.......

Steve and Liz
Elko, Nv
30' Gulfstream Class A
sd1209 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2013, 10:21 AM   #22
We carry an unmounted spare in the rear of the toad (pickup with a cap). We go places where phones and and road service can be a LONG way apart. A flat in Alaska took us 3 days to be changed and repaired. Yes, Coach Net paid for the service call, over $700, but the tire guy had to go about 240 miles to find a tire and get it to me, and another 210 to get home. I was lucky in that there was a tire available, and it didn't have to be flown in. For those depending on a cell phone, there's places up north where there's no service for 100 miles or more.
2013 Tiffin Allegro Bus 43QGP
2011 Chevy Silverado 1500 Toad
Pigman1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2013, 10:39 AM   #23

Monaco Owners Club
I carry a spare rubber tire, no wheel, only because I can. I tow my garage behind me most of the time and there is just enough room along the side wall at the rear where it is lashed.

I also use Coach-Net for my roadside service. They do the hard work for me.

Luckily, I have never needed the coach tire but it's there if necessary. I have used the trailer spare twice.

The coach tire spare is an out-dated one but it will get me to a place where I can have a new one installed.

I travel through places that would not normally carry my tire size and I don't want to be stranded on the side of a highway any longer than necessary.

Dr4Film ----- Richard
2002 Monaco Windsor PBT 40Ft. (R HOME) - 30Ft. 2006 Pace Trailer (R JUNK). Trailer Has 06 VUE (R TOWD) 04 Victory Alen Ness Edition (R RYDE). Full-Timer for 14 Yr's BUT now a Part-Timer. Cummins ISC-350 With Banks Power Pack and Upgraded PRXB PacBrake.
Winter Home in Flagler Beach FL - Now Staying in Dansville NY for the Summer.
Dr4Film is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2013, 10:48 AM   #24
Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Well my two cents worth.
I do not carry a spare. No where to put it on the RV (i.e. no compartment large enough to hold a spare, no bumper to mount it an no room under the RV on the frame) an the RV did not come with one to begin with.
So that said these are large heavy tires, with high torque nuts requiring special tools (that I do not carry). Also think inside rear dual...would YOU really want to pull this tire? Most "spares" just sit an age...before their used. So IF I were to need some tire service, on the road, I would rather call a mobile tire service truck. They will have ALL the "stuff" to handle a tire switch out. After all you have a house on wheels...a little wait in the RV for the truck to come should be no big deal.
Steve & Leslie
Winnebago 2007 Adventurer 38T
Honda 2010 CR-V "Toad"
Stevegd007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2013, 11:27 AM   #25

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Some folks think that carting a spare equals also being able to change it oneself. And thus since they cannot physically change it or have the tools to do so they do not carry a spare. Not so. ERS does the changing...
Vince and Susan
2011 Tiffin Phaeton 40QTH (Cummins ISC/Freightliner)
Flat towing a modified 2005 Jeep (Rubicon Wrangler)
Previously a 2002 Fleetwood Pace Arrow 37A and a 1995 Safari Trek 2830.
vsheetz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2013, 11:54 AM   #26
Monaco Owners Club
We do not carry a spare for our MH due to being 22.5 and too heavy to manage. In 2009 we took a trip to Alaska in our previous MH which used 19.5 tires. I did carry a spare 19.5 tire in the back of our toad. We put almost 35,000 miles on the motorhome and never once used the spare. When we sold the MH I gave the spare to the new owner.

As for no phone service in many areas, even with a spare tire or tire and wheel what difference would it make... I won't be able to break loose the 450lbs nuts nor manage getting the tire changed due to the weight so they wouldn't do any good.

For those situations of no phone service, both my wife and I are ham radiio operators and thus I have radio contact from anywhere in the world with someone to make a phone call for me :-)
Ronnie (WD5GIC) & Jan (WD5IHU)
2003 Monaco Dynasty Countess 42' w/tag, 2012 Ford Flex

texnet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2013, 11:56 AM   #27
Monaco Owners Club
If properly taken care of , the chance of a blowout is rare why would I carry a tire that cost $5-$600 or more that will age out in seven years and be never used ? Even if I do pay a little more for the tire when they bring it Roadside, it's worth it do not have to take up the storage and weight. Commercial roadside service is different then general towing . As a commercial truck driver for the last 25 years I have never had to wait more than a couple hours for roadside service 24 /7 ( but then I've only needed service a view times .. That should tell you something )
2003 Beaver Marquis

BillJinOR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2013, 12:13 PM   #28
Tiffin Owners Club
When I purchased my last trailer, a Wilderness 26H, I also purchased a spare. I kept it under the sofa in the slide, it didn't cause an issue with "usable space", and I traveled at that time with 5 of my 6 daughters, so that's saying something for space! I never used it, but felt better that I had it.
With this camper, Jayco 316rkds, we bought it off the lot, it came with a spare. it's mounted underneath the unit.

I have Good Sam & AAA. I don't tow right now, our camper stays at the camground in storage. But, If I were still towing, I'd buy the spare. as others have said, it's tough enough to get a flat while out on vacay, it's got to be handled just that much better if you already have a spare.

just my $0.02

momto6ix is offline   Reply With Quote