Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 11-09-2013, 02:18 PM   #29

For those who think it's too difficult to remove a tire, they need to speak for themselves. I carry a complete set of tire tools, bead breaker, irons, jack, lug wrench and a 600 ft-lb torque wrench. If I have a choice, I'll let Coach Net do the heavy work, but if I cannot get them, or can't get get them in reasonable time I am perfectly able to remove a flat, break it down, mount a new one and put it back on the rig. Sure beats sitting on a road someplace whining about bad luck or depending on other's charity, or good will, or imposing on someone else to do what I should have done. I hope for the best, but plan for the worst. And yes, I also remove the wheels and drums when checking brakes during maintenance cycles. At least I know it's done and done right. I'm 72.

Pigman1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-09-2013, 02:32 PM   #30

Newmar Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
We do not carry one. If you have a problem I'm sure your road service provider would ask what the problem is and if you inform them of the situation the service provider would bring one out with them. We were at a truck stop once and that is exactly what happened with a couple parked next to us. They provided the mfr of the tire and size and the tow truck driver brought one out and mounted it rights at the sight.

Steve N Sal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2013, 02:37 PM   #31

Ford Super Duty Owner
I am 73 years old and still install my own tires. I can't stand the way truck tire people use the air wrench to over torque wheels. At our dealership we kept a drive shaft off a 39 chevy. We slipped this over a 3/4 in. breaker bar to remove wheels that had been installed by truck tire dealers. I have had 5 blowouts on motorhomes since 1974 when I bought my first motorhome. I can change the tire and be own my way in about thirty minutes or less.
I will always change my own tires. (until I hit 100 years old) lol
Old 11-09-2013, 02:50 PM   #32

Fleetwood Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by ga traveler View Post
I am 73 years old and still install my own tires. I can't stand the way truck tire people use the air wrench to over torque wheels. At our dealership we kept a drive shaft off a 39 chevy. We slipped this over a 3/4 in. breaker bar to remove wheels that had been installed by truck tire dealers. I have had 5 blowouts on motorhomes since 1974 when I bought my first motorhome. I can change the tire and be own my way in about thirty minutes or less.
I will always change my own tires. (until I hit 100 years old) lol
First year of owning our MH
Funny my first thought was "what if we have flat". I have spare for the car dolly. I don't know how heavy they are? What about storing on the roof? We have 2004 Fleetwood excursion
Old 11-09-2013, 03:00 PM   #33

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
As all who read this and other solar threads will see there are differing schools of thought on the need to carry a spare. On top mix in that some have more difficulty with the actual physical storage space for the tire. Plus the financial aspects both in up front costs if you do carry vs. possible costs incurred should you not carry.

Boils down to carry a spare or not to carry a spare is a personal decision. A decision best made after good discussions and input such as this thread.
Previously a 2002 Fleetwood Pace Arrow 37A and a 1995 Safari Trek 2830.
vsheetz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2013, 05:47 PM   #34

Carolina Campers
Quote:
Originally Posted by ga traveler View Post
I am 73 years old and still install my own tires. I can't stand the way truck tire people use the air wrench to over torque wheels. At our dealership we kept a drive shaft off a 39 chevy. We slipped this over a 3/4 in. breaker bar to remove wheels that had been installed by truck tire dealers. I have had 5 blowouts on motorhomes since 1974 when I bought my first motorhome. I can change the tire and be own my way in about thirty minutes or less. I will always change my own tires. (until I hit 100 years old) lol
Me thinks you may think twice on this if you were in AZ and it was 120 deg in the shade..... LOL
Old 11-09-2013, 06:09 PM   #35

Winnebago Owners Club
We had a blowout on our last motorhome. We did not have a spare. Good Sam had us back on the road with a newly mounted tire in about an hour.

Do you have the ability to torque your 22.5" rim lugs to 600#? How about removing such a monster? Even if you just carry an unmounted tire it will become junk in 7 or less years.

We messed up when the tire blew. We did not know that the insurance co wanted it. If you have a blowout and do insurance claim damage to your rig keep the old tire.

To carry a spare is more appropriate in the smaller sizes than on the big rigs. The exception may be a trip to AK because they are so expensive if you need one.

As fulltimers we need all the room we have for living day to day.

The final choice is yours.

Happy trails,
Rick
Rick & Melissa Young & Dawson, 2011 Itasca Meridian 40U, Freightliner XCL, Cummins ISL 380HP/DEF, Allison 3000 MH, 2014 Honda CR-V, SMI AF1, Blue Ox tow equip., TST 507 TPMS, TruCenter steering control, Hughes auto transformer.
Servants On Wheels Ever Ready. Best job we ever paid to do . (full time volunteers)
jerichorick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2013, 06:29 PM   #36

Fleetwood Owners Club
I don't carry one and mine are 22.5's. I will probably pay a premium if I need one, but I have no room for one, nor do I want to add another tire to the replacement list. I would think since most big rigs don't carry spares anymore flats do happen, but not very often and I will take the chance. This is why I have road service.
UsualSuspect is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2013, 06:34 PM   #37

I carry a mounted 19.5 under a bed. I did a 4 corner weigh to figure out where to put it.

For the guy earlier on 19.5 torque: I think Ford upped to recommended to 180.
Old 11-09-2013, 06:38 PM   #38

Monaco Owners Club
I did carry a 22.5 in my toad. It was getting to be hard to handle for me. So I didn't take it last year. I see older men still able to handle them. God Bless em.
Okrver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2013, 07:07 PM   #39

Before a trip to Alaska this past spring I decided to carry a matched tire in the basement for a spare. It would be a lot easier for road service to change this tire if I had to have it changed then trying to buy one.
Old 11-10-2013, 02:47 PM   #40

After getting a front flat up above Sacramento then having to pay top dollar for a Chinese reject in a different size on a Holiday I have always carried spare rubber. Soon as I find a rim it will be mounted. @005 Discovery has a rack to carry it in a box. Let road service change it but at least you are off the side of the road quicker
Old 11-10-2013, 02:56 PM   #41

Vintage RV Owners Club
Our 1987 Rockwood came with a mounted 22" spare tire. It is under the back end of the rig in a carrier that lowers it slowly to the ground. So yes we have a spare.
Old 11-10-2013, 03:09 PM   #42

Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by TeJay View Post
Good question. We took delivery of our 2014 Vista 30T on July 29th. As we were finishing the PDI the tech rounded the corner and opened a side compartment just above the genny and said, "If you had a spare this is where it would be stored." That was the first time not having a spare was mentioned.
Weeks later I mentioned to the dealer that it would have been nice to know that one was not included and that maybe it should be offered as an option.

I also e-mailed WBGO and was told this. "It is not included because of the added weight."

Our tires are 19.5" here is what I will do if we have a flat. Since we have 6 tires it's simple. If we have a rear flat take it off and travel to the next exit and call road service or find a store to replace the tire. It won't hurt to travel some on three tires at a slower speed. If we loose a front tire take off a rear put it on the front and continue. I have a torque wrench that will torque to 150 Ft. Lbs. The 22.5" tires require 450 Ft. Lbs of torque. Very, very few individuals will have a wrench or a torque wrench to R&R those lug nuts. If you have a flat call AAA. Most owners of the coaches with the 22.5" tires have much of a choice.

I did price a used tire and rim from an RV salvage yard in MO and it would cost me $250 for a spare.

TeJay
By doing so it will double the weight carried by the one remaining tire. That is far overloaded and will destroy that tire so plan on buying two if you do this.
And I carry a torque multiplier to get the 500 ft lbs required by our lugs. The levelers will easily lift the rig. But I never plan on changing one of the tires anyway.

Mr_D is offline   Reply With Quote