Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 12-14-2013, 06:16 AM   #43

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clifftall View Post
I never used them and would never raise my rear wheels off the ground.
X2

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-14-2013, 11:17 AM   #44

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jack1234 View Post
While your post is well intentioned, I do not believe it is accurate or safe. www.icbc.com/.../drive_commercial_veh...

Personally, I feel every RVer should be able to perform a standard AB "test", but this does not require crawling under the chassis to inspect auto-slack adjusters or fooling around with actuator rods. Regardless...definitely not LAW in BC for RVers with AB systems & auto-slack adjusters (even during the test for an AB endorsement)

Explain....Yes.....adjust/check travel....No.

IMO....actual adjustments or repairs to the system should ONLY be performed by a certified and fully trained AB technician....in a proper shop with appropriate safety precautions .... not someone who took a few hours of classroom theory & was able to pass a very basic exam/test.....in a campground with plastic wheel chocks!
Hmm, well nowhere did I say or imply that I adjust the brakes, only perform the required pre trip inspection. AND you assume a lot when you say I've only had a few hours course. In fact I've been a licensed HD mechanic for some 30+ years and taught air brakes as a training instructor for over 10 years. The BC law requires every operator of an air equipped vehicle to perform a complete pre trip before moving the vehicle every day. That includes measuring the actuator rod travel and I have no clue as to how that could be done without getting under the rig.

3 Birds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2013, 11:31 AM   #45

I carry 4 large ones but only use them on my trailer, religously
Old 12-14-2013, 11:53 AM   #46

Feels much better knowing that there are other drivers out here that do a pre trip check. I've heard horror stories about how something as simple as a twig lodged in the actuator causing brake failure. A good set of wheel chocks that are sized for the tire diameter are a must when parked and when working on the rig.
Old 12-14-2013, 02:00 PM   #47

Winnebago Owners Club
We don't carry chocks, but we do have an assortment of two-by-eights we could use if we had to. \ken
Bumps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2013, 02:44 PM   #48

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3 Birds View Post
Hmm, well nowhere did I say or imply that I adjust the brakes, only perform the required pre trip inspection. AND you assume a lot when you say I've only had a few hours course. In fact I've been a licensed HD mechanic for some 30+ years and taught air brakes as a training instructor for over 10 years. The BC law requires every operator of an air equipped vehicle to perform a complete pre trip before moving the vehicle every day. That includes measuring the actuator rod travel and I have no clue as to how that could be done without getting under the rig.
Back in the old day before auto slack adjusters, we would adjust all air brakes at every oil change. Sometimes more often if your brakes got weak. Tighten the nut with a 9/16 wrench and back them off 1/2 to 3/4 of a turn. Make them all the same. You must have the brakes released to perform this function. But with The advent of auto slack adjusters we never touch them anymore. But to adjust any air brake and do it right, you should jack up every wheel, one at a time with brakes released. Then tighten the adjusters while spinning the wheel by hand until the brakes just start to grab. Helps to have a helper to spin the wheels for you, but one person can do the job. I can just look at the shoe to drum clearance with the brakes released and tell if they are in adjustment. There is very little clearance. The main thing is the keep the auto slack adjuster and your S cam bushings greased up real good, so they function properly. We do this at every oil change and lube, which is every 10K for us.