Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 01-21-2012, 09:19 AM   #1

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Do you cover your rig?

So we covered our motorhome right after New Years, and plan on uncovering it in March. Thats 3 months covered, having my coffee this morning and looking out the window at it, thinking is it really necessary? I don't know, so do you cover yours?
Oh and the cover we use is that tyvec one, supposed to breathe and keep the weather out at the same time, any opinions on the kind of covers?
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-21-2012, 09:33 AM   #2

Smile

I had a fifth wheel I covered with a Tyvek cover. It really helped keep the rig clean and UV protected. The rig had aluminim siding, and the cover kept the finish shiny and new looking. The only complaint I had back then was that wherever the cover rubbed and made contact with the rig, turned the white rubber parts black. It came off easy enough, it was just annoying. I just bought a new redesigned Tyvek cover for our DP motorhome. I spent extra time making sure to cover all the sharp corners of the rig so the new cover would not tear. So far so good, and NO more black edges!! I also spent the extra $100 for the extra protection from Camping World. They say if it tears, they will exchange it for 4 years, no questions asked. We shall see....
Mad Dog 98 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2012, 09:39 AM   #3

Thor Owners Club
We bought a cover for our 5er and I noticed a couple months ago that where ever there was a sharp edge such as the stairs and bumper it has started to wear thru. I've since put the foamy pipe insulation around the sharper edges but the damage was already done.
Fred1609 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2012, 09:40 AM   #4

Fleetwood Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
My first MH which was a used 90 model sat outside uncovered in a storage yard. I think we had that one for about 3 years and I noticed nothing that would indicate the weather was taking its tolls. Of course it was extra maintenance in regards to taking care of the exterior but then again it was used and it was in good condition for its age.
My current MH which is an 05 has spent its entire life living out of doors uncovered and I have noticed the same. But then again I do spend a lot of time on exterior maintenance.
Last year I had the opportunity to put it in a garage, it was nice but costly. It was stored a bit further away from my residence and it was a pain to get every time we wanted to use it and it sat out in front of my house more than needed because of the somewhat of a hassel to take it to the garage.
The owner of the garage did not what to take care of her property to make it more friendly for the MH so as ofChristmas Eve day the MH was moved back outside to the storage yard that I originaly kept it in. The yard is right up the street and in back of my house so its easy access and I can keep a close check on things. Since its sitting back outside uncovered I've noticed nothing different in its appearance.
Since we just had snow this morning I'll be going up and checking on it a little later.
From my past experience I don't think I'll be getting a cover but I may consider getting covers for the rooftops.
Little longwinded here but thats how I've been doing it with no cover.
Personaly I think they are more trouble than they are worth and I've seen what happens to the others in the yard.
But you have to do what you think is best....

Regards,
RovinON
RovinOn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2012, 01:21 PM   #5

No. We had a custom cover for our fifth-wheel toyhauler, but it was really a pain to take off & on. We bought our coach to use. We don't have it sit unused for more than a month or so. It's parked along side our house, plugged in and basically ready to go all the time.

Unless the coach is 100% clean, and the cover is 100% clean; when you put it on the dust / dirt between the coach and the cover will rub and scratch the surface. If you really don't want to use your RV for several months, garage it, but don't cover it.
Old 01-21-2012, 01:29 PM   #6

Newmar Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
NO, we have never covered ours. Getting up there just to wash the roof is enough for me. My father-in-law bought a cover for his this year but after just going and picking it up for him, I'm glad someone back home helped to get that thing up on the roof.
Steve N Sal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2012, 01:52 PM   #7

Tiffin Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
I'm in the same weather/climate as you and haven't used a cover in 10 years of RV ownership. I bought a cover when I had a roof leak last winter - but I never used it (it warmed up to 50 degrees so I could fix the roof). I too think covers are more bother than worth. Plus I think it's dangerous putting it on/off.
tomwalt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2012, 02:06 PM   #8

Nope. Use the mh once or twice a month for a couple of days at a time. Would be real pia to cover/remove eberytime. Now if I had a shed....

2016 Newmar Bay Star Sport 3004
2021 Jeep Gladiator Sport Willys
wildtoad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2012, 03:04 PM   #9

Covered storage for me. Sitting outside in the Texas sun cant be good when its 110 in the shade.
Old 01-21-2012, 03:11 PM   #10

Fleetwood Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Not worth the risk

I bought one for our last RV, a fifth wheel.

Not only was it of questionable value it was way too dangerous to put on and take off. Especially the tyvek! That stuff is slippery as snot if you have to walk on it. It wasn't worth falling off the rig.

Muddypaws
Muddypaws is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2012, 03:23 PM   #11

I had one for my last motor home. It was a class C. Not only was it a pain to put on, at least right, the wind caused it to just about rub a whole in my rubber roof around the edge. And where it rubbed against the fiberglass took a lot of work to correct. No more covers for me. However, I wouldn't mind a garage!

Greg & Lynn (Full-Timing)
2011 Phaeton 42 QBH / Spartan Chassis
2003 Jeep GC Overland in Tow
FDchief is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2012, 03:42 PM   #12

I always cover and have had no ill effects from the cover, but the MH stays clean and gives me piece of mind. Keeps the ultra violet away from it also. Tires are also covered.
John H... is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2012, 08:45 PM   #13

yes
sc3283 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2012, 09:01 PM   #14

Monaco Owners Club
No. Had one on our fifth wheel but elected not to cover the motorhome.