Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-26-2017, 09:47 PM   #29

My 32 gasser drove very well. Of course it got moved around a bit but not unmanageably. We have since gotten a 40 ft diesel and the ride is worlds apart. Air ride plus weight of coach are all the difference. Enjoy your coach and deal with the ride until you are ready and able to move to a diesel pusher. My partner says it's lke riding in an electric car it is so quiet. Motor being 40 ft behind.
And to the squeaks yes they all have them you jus have to find them and fix them
MikeO58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-26-2017, 10:00 PM   #30

2008 Seneca 330 horse Duramax. I pass semi's at 75.
B646488 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2017, 04:57 AM   #31

The Excursion had awful dash squeaks. Seemed to be a very common flaw with that model. Lots of people on this forum complained about it. Don't know if Fleetwoods ever fixed it with the rebranded Pace Arrow (basically the same DP, just the PA name). Discovery has a few noises, but nothing like the level of the Excursion.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GEM1N1 View Post
Land mines... LOL. That's a great way to describe what my coach feels like.

Also, do the diesels have all the squeaks in the dash when going over bumps and washboards?
Old 07-27-2017, 05:06 AM   #32
YC1

It totally depends on the coach. Many Monaco's get pushed all over the place and mine was a white knuckle experience until I made some major changes.

I have had several C's and one 30 ft A. Sway bars can help a lot and decent shocks. Factory ones are often shot with very low mileage. Your steering components need to be in good shape of course.

YC1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2017, 06:15 AM   #33

Fleetwood Owners Club
American Coach Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by funjnt View Post
Not a push, wiggle or twist at all. The weight, air ride, larger tires and such things make driving a big coach very pleasurable. Sit back, set the cruise and ride. The torque of the diesel engine also mostly means no downshifting and screaming! Plus it's in the rear and you can't really hear it anyway.
A tag axle also helps.
Cat320 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2017, 06:19 AM   #34

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by YC1 View Post
It totally depends on the coach. Many Monaco's get pushed all over the place and mine was a white knuckle experience until I made some major changes.

I have had several C's and one 30 ft A. Sway bars can help a lot and decent shocks. Factory ones are often shot with very low mileage. Your steering components need to be in good shape of course.
Monaco made a 4 bag chassis that came on the La Palma I believe that handled like crap.
That was a last ditch effort in the last years of the company.
Those were a handful from what i hear.
Old 07-27-2017, 06:24 AM   #35

Winnebago Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by YC1 View Post
It totally depends on the coach.
I expect this is the 'best' answer.
Though I don't doubt that DPs in general are less easily pushed than gassers, simply due to their weight, I wouldn't expect ALL DPs to be a push-free driving experience.

On the other hand my old gasser is one handed relaxed drive going down the interstate. I get a slight nudge from passing trucks, not a push. Yes I have to counter steer a little, but I don't even really think about it, it's certainly not white knuckled - or even two hands required.

Now a hefty cross wind, that's a different story - that'll get me off the interstate on to back roads in a hurry.
Old 07-27-2017, 07:00 AM   #36
Moderator Emeritus

Monaco Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nasdaqsam View Post
Ahhhhhhh its the law of physics they all get pushed just the DP's to a lesser degree due to weight, more stable platform and better suspension.
The wheelbase is usually considerably longer on a DP compared to a gas coach. That helps a lot.
Old 07-27-2017, 10:00 AM   #37

Our 37 ft gasser never gets pushed around other than strong cross winds which have been rare.
Old 07-27-2017, 10:05 AM   #38

Forest River Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Nope! Using Safe-T-Steer & anti-sway bar in the rear axel plus plus 22" wheels! Not bothered by trucks going by! Did with 19" wheels, but moved to bigger RV & wheels
Stevegd007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2017, 10:08 AM   #39

Quote:
Originally Posted by GEM1N1 View Post
Well. Not the answer I was hoping for. Lol. So I should stop throwing money at this one and save up for a diesel.

I was thinking about throwing a front track bar on in hopes it would help.
For a simple, cheap way of determining if there is a problem with your present coach, get the toe-in checked. There should be a slight toe-in on the front wheels, otherwise your coach will wander all over the road and be very sensitive to passing vehicles.
jpstakun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2017, 02:01 PM   #40

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Location: Kamloops, BC, 60 miles from the Center of the Universe according to the Rinpoche, of the SF monks.
Quote:
Originally Posted by jpstakun View Post
For a simple, cheap way of determining if there is a problem with your present coach, get the toe-in checked. There should be a slight toe-in on the front wheels, otherwise your coach will wander all over the road and be very sensitive to passing vehicles.
X2. Most people seem to forget about getting an alignment done.
Happy Glamping.
Happy Glamping, Norman & Elna. 2008 Winnebago Adventurer 38J, W24, dozens of small thirsty ponies. Retired after 40 years wrenching on trucks! 2010 Ford Ranger toad with bicycles or KLR 650 in the back. Easy to spot an RVer, they always walk around with a screwdriver or wrench in one hand!
Unplanned Tourist is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2017, 06:53 PM   #41

Quote:
Originally Posted by jpstakun View Post

Spent some time today talking to Alan at ultrarv about improving my drive. Great people over there. Anyway, long story short he said one of the better simple fixes is to adjust the camber to 6 1/2 degrees. I still went ahead and ordered a set of Koni shocks along with a front trac bar (even though he said to try the alignment adjustment first). Figured might as well do the front trac bar while their under there.

This will put me with front and rear trac bars, safe-t-plus stabilizer, koni shocks and I believe the previous owner installed sumosuper springs. If this doesn't do the trick I'm out of options.

I'll report back in a couple weeks when it all comes in and I get them installed.
Old 07-27-2017, 06:58 PM   #42

We have a 96 Fleetwood Bounder 36 ft in a Ford F53 with a tag axle .
Even though it's in really nice shape for its age I often times wish we had s newer one , mostly for more power .
However , one thing I do love about this one is how well it drives , I'm sure that tag axle plays a big part in it , I really don't get pushed around .
stepside454 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
diesel, gas