Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 06-21-2012, 09:33 PM   #127
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by dogpatch View Post
AND Canada!

Don't forget about us Canadians.

We're the guys north of you!

Want me to post a map?

We're really nice up here!

I'm happy to say that we're planning to visit your beautiful country in our coach for the first time this summer!

Looking forward to it.

Rick

2007 Itasca Ellipse 40FD
RickO is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-21-2012, 09:47 PM   #128

We will wave as you drive by even though we live in igloos

Old 06-21-2012, 09:53 PM   #129
Senior Dude

Forest River Owners Club
Everyone has a parogative to think the way they think.
People should buy what they can afford, make the best of it and be happy with that choice.
If you want something different and more expensive, work harder or make sacrifices to have something different.

We all know what happens when people buy more than they can afford.

If you have a 5th wheel cause you like a 5th wheel, Hey! I'm happy for you.

If you have a TT and that's all you can afford. That's fine! I respect you for staying within your means to do whatever it takes to get out into the outdoors.

Don't hate me or be envious because I have a Class A. I worked hard for it. It's not new, but I can afford the payments for the unit I have.

If I see someone with a newer,nicer,bigger Class A than me, I'm not envious, I admire them because I know what it took for me to get what I've got and I can only imagine what it took for them to get what they have.
Old 06-21-2012, 10:28 PM   #130

Vintage RV Owners Club
Gulf Streamers Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Just For Fun View Post
I know that this will seem a bit… Odd. Hopefully no one will take offence by it (wanna bet someone will?)

We have looked at trading up to a 40’ + Class A – full body paint, four slides, nicer than a “New York apartment” and wondered (THIS IS SPECIFICALLY FOR THOSE WHO OWN RIGS IN THE $400,000 RANGE AND UP): Have you ever felt odd, out of place, looked at with a jaundice eye in campgrounds while others parked around you looked/stared in envy? Has this ever bothered or disturbed you – made you feel uncomfortable?

Just curious. Other than being THRILLED that you are the one with the FANTASTIC rig, has it crossed your mind and wondered if other felt the same way? Has it negatively affected you?
First thing YOU need to get passed is thinking people are 'looking at you in envy'..
Old 06-22-2012, 09:32 AM   #131

Quote:
Originally Posted by dogpatch
Everyone has a parogative to think the way they think.
People should buy what they can afford, make the best of it and be happy with that choice.
If you want something different and more expensive, work harder or make sacrifices to have something different.

We all know what happens when people buy more than they can afford.

If you have a 5th wheel cause you like a 5th wheel, Hey! I'm happy for you.

If you have a TT and that's all you can afford. That's fine! I respect you for staying within your means to do whatever it takes to get out into the outdoors.

Don't hate me or be envious because I have a Class A. I worked hard for it. It's not new, but I can afford the payments for the unit I have.

If I see someone with a newer,nicer,bigger Class A than me, I'm not envious, I admire them because I know what it took for me to get what I've got and I can only imagine what it took for them to get what they have.
You do realize that thinking like that went out some years ago..... so I guess that makes me old fashioned also.
Old 06-22-2012, 11:03 AM   #132

Quote:
Originally Posted by DT-Ali View Post
I don't know about others...but, I love seeing the variety of rigs as I walk through the RV parks. It's like being in a candy store...some you really admire and some are just okay. It seems to me that if you feel others are jealous as they look at your rig, then you may want to explore why that is your assumption?! I look at your rig and think, "Oh! My! Isn't it just beautiful?"....but, that's just me. I am sorry You perceive that others are jealous....when they may just be admiring your incredible rig as I have.
I agree with you - We spend some of our time at CG's just driving / walking around and looking at different rigs - that is where our interest lies.
Old 06-22-2012, 11:07 AM   #133

Quote:
Originally Posted by barbaram

I agree with you - We spend some of our time at CG's just driving / walking around and looking at different rigs - that is where our interest lies.
I do the same. I like looking at all the different campers and seeing popups and small TT's always brings back some good memories.
EnolaEagle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2012, 11:15 AM   #134

National RV Owners Club
I wouldn't know what it feels like to camp in a very expensive rig, but I think human nature is to justify the things we buy, the way in which we live, think and play based upon the financial or social situation in which we find ourselves, I have no doubt there are people out there who would be "green" with envy about the guy next to them with the huge expensive rig, but some wont ever admit it, they will only justify the reasons not to own it based upon their own social or finacial status, Then there are others who are just happy with what they have, and maybe their tent is the palace they enjoy and who cares what other's have, I think they are probably the most happy people in the world..... I would love to camp beside a Prevost just to have the opportuntity to get a tour of the inside, and if I were the guy in Prevost I would be proud to own it.
Old 06-22-2012, 12:05 PM   #135

Monaco Owners Club
I am only half qualified to respond to this topic as our current coach sold new for around the $400k mark (and much higher for the current model), however, we paid no where near that much for it as we purchased it used and somewhat neglected and I had to put a lot of time/effort into it to get it to its current condition.

That said, I enjoy looking at the more expensive/nicer rigs than ours and appreciate the quality as well as what the owners had to do to acquire such a rig. I am proud of ours and appreciate having such a nice coach but I definately don't begrudge anyone of having a nicer one. Nor do I look down at anyone driving something smaller or a different class of RV. Although there are some that jump into the RV lifestyle right at the top in a high end Class A DP, that is not the path most of us had to take.

We started in a tent, then a TT (1972 model fixed up), then up to a truck camper to still be able to pull our sand toys to the dunes. After a while I decided a motorhome would be the "ultimate" RV and my wife and I worked our asses off to get our finances to the point where we could afford one while still working and raising a family, so we could enjoy it as a family. We are currently on our third motorhome, second DP as life has been good to us and I have always been blessed with the ability and desire to work hard.

I have worked two jobs my entire adult life to have the things that we have and have always lived within our means even though our tastes have gotten a little more expensive over the years. People think my wife and I have had it easy but they don't see the hours that we put in working in order to play. That is there problem, not ours.

We have some friends that we used to travel with that would get so upset at their "older" motorhome, or toys and would say "when we can afford XXXYYY, then we will really enjoy this and have fun." I would tell them that those people in that 1/2 million dollar rig are not having any more fun than we are and they are seeing the same sights that we are.

These friends were the type that didn't want to keep up with the Jones', they wanted to "be" the Jones'. Sad but over the past fifteen years of knowing them, I don't think they have ever been happy with what they have. They are always chasing that rainbow.

I enjoy thinking of the next "whatever" as well, but my wife and I have always tried to enjoy what we have until we can afford to upgrade without putting us in financial distress.

We have older vehicles, toys, RV and keep them in pristine condition and use the hell out of them. I don't feel one bit ashamed or embarassed by what we pull into a campground with, nor do I feel envious of those with something nicer.

There are RVs for about every pricepoint. No difference in housing or cars. Another benefit of Capitalism (a.k.a Free Market).

Mike.
zmotorsports is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2012, 04:48 PM   #136

Tiffin Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
I didn’t read all ten pages of post but I did read a few just to see how others viewed the post. My wife and I have only been RVing for about 4 years, but we have been camping for about 28 years. We started out just packing our tent and camping equipment on our motorcycles. When we got tired of trying to find a soft spot that didn’t have rocks we bought a camping trailer to pull behind our motorcycle. We always would ask for water and electric when checking in to a campground. They would put us in with the class A, C, and B’s. We would walk around and admire all the beautiful rigs. I didn’t envy what they had, I just told my wife one day we will have our RV. What was so funny to us, we had many couples in really high end rigs come over and ask to watch us setup our camping trailer. They were amazed that it would fold out into a nice little room with a queen size bed. I would ask them if we could look at their rig for we wanted one someday. We saved our money for we knew that our time would come. When the housing market fell, I knew then that we could get the best bang for our bucks. We found a 03 allegro bus that we fell in love with, it’s what we could afford with no payments so we are happy. Still enjoy looking and admiring other folk’s rigs
Old 06-22-2012, 09:50 PM   #137
Senior Dude

Forest River Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by BCooke View Post
You do realize that thinking like that went out some years ago..... so I guess that makes me old fashioned also.
Is there a newer way to think?
Old 06-22-2012, 09:59 PM   #138

No. I worked three jobs for over 30 years and, as my father told me when I purchased it, you earned it son, don't let anyone tell you otherwise.
Old 06-22-2012, 10:09 PM   #139

Damon Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
we just progressively moved up from a pretty basic fifth wheel
to a modest towable, then to a luxury fiver when we went full time. then i took advantage of the market downturn, and purchased a rig that was easier on my failing body to set up

its nice in my humble eyes and I like to look at ALL other rigs, mainly because necessity is the mother of invention. and some folks flat come up with some darn good ideas, so i look alot, but never with envy.
I open my campsite to all fellow rvers,
we are all pretty much just alike, mostly
powerboatr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2012, 10:27 PM   #140

Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dunner View Post
I'd bet if you started talking technical RV, you'd probably get a deer in the headlight blank stare.
Not me!
I do all my work, well, maybe not all. I did pay someone to replace my starter on our ISC last month.

Mr_D is online now   Reply With Quote