Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-13-2012, 12:59 PM   #211

After the third breast Aug my better half received, no one even notices my 28ft Winne when she's outside sunbathing. All they notice are my tires because I can here them say "Look at the Michelins on that one"

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-13-2012, 01:46 PM   #212

Winnebago Owners Club
Whether I was camping in the back of my 69 Toyota Corolla Station Wagon or in my present Class A, I always sat back enjoying the moment and said "Wonder what the other half are doing?" Far as I was concerned I was the richest man in the world. Like Kathy_MD, I can admire or dream of bigger, softer, smoother, etc but never envy. I do have to admit something though. I live in a blue collar neighborhood and when I traded my Class C for my present rig I did feel a bit "odd" with it parked in my driveway and neighbors walked by to the mail boxes and made comments like "Nice!" I felt a bit uneasy as I have never owned anything so conspicuous but I paid cash with money I earned and saved just for my retirement years to enjoy. I do not feel guilty but then again I do not really like to stand out. But this is the rig I want at this time to do what I and my DW enjoy doing. So to answer the OP, yes I feel uneasy sometimes but then I would share a Guinness with anyone interesting regardless if they sleeping on a bed roll on the pick-nick table or traveling in fully tricked out Bluebird. So I don't know about the other half but I am having a ball!

Rmiscoord is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2012, 03:45 PM   #213

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Well said Kathy. Enjoy your life.
2003 Newmar Kountry Star 3905, Freightliner XC chassis with CAT 330. Winnie the black lab, pretty Airbus captain wife, retired airline pilot with 11 grandkids. UH-1 pilot (Huey) U.S. Army 1967-1983. RVN 68-69. Northern Idaho my summer home.
calhyatt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2012, 09:17 PM   #214

Quote:
Originally Posted by Perry White View Post
After the third breast Aug my better half received, no one even notices my 28ft Winne when she's outside sunbathing. All they notice are my tires because I can here them say "Look at the Michelins on that one"
Pics or it didn't happen....
Old 08-14-2012, 03:59 AM   #215

Monaco Owners Club
Tiffin Owners Club
I would consider ours in the "near luxury" range, south of your $400k baseline. It's all the RV we could ever dream of owning, but we don't feel uncomfortable with it any more than we envy the $1.5 million Prevost nearby, or any more than we feel somehow better than our neighbors in their travel trailer. They're all just friends in love with their RVs and so are we.

We all have financial goals and limitations. Regardless of how much or how little you can spend, there's always someone who has more and someone who has less. It's just the path we take, but it doesn't make one better than the other. We're all just Rvers in the end.

I'm reminded of the guy I saw a few years ago. He had a huge backpack and seemed to be traveling the country on foot. He was looking in the window of an old class C that was for sale. I would have loved to have my camera, but I didn't. I have the mental image. Regardless of what we have, we're all essentially this same guy whether we're sleeping on the ground in a sleeping bag or roaming in a RV.

If anything, I feel sorry for those who don't get it.
Old 08-14-2012, 04:29 AM   #216
RVM 18

Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
When he saw a pretty "big boy toy" he liked, my ex-hubby would say, "I wish I had that and he had a million dollars, then we both would be very happy.

In my experience, RVers are, as a group, the most down to earth and genuine of all people. I have parked my small Class C next to Prevosts and huge Excells. My thoughts go more to being thankful I don't have to drive one of those beasts than to envy. My last job before retiring in 2011 was a live-in personal assistant/house manager for a busy single female executive. While that 6,000 sq ft house was pretty, it sure was a LOT of work just managing the people who came in to clean and maintain it's systems.

So, from someone who would NEVER EVER have a luxury MH -- I'm happy for you and I hope you are as happy with yours as I am with mine.
okmunky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2012, 08:13 AM   #217

Fleetwood Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Perry White View Post
Where did they put the third one?
Old 08-14-2012, 08:31 AM   #218

Michelin's are know for cracking/checking.
Dunner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2012, 08:55 AM   #219

Quote:
Originally Posted by dfunde01 View Post
Where did they put the third one?
go see the total recall movie and bam ; there they are
Old 08-14-2012, 08:55 AM   #220
a k

Newmar Owners Club
If you want to see Perry's better half, go see his dog in the pet pictures and I'll guarantee she is in the yellow.
A K
Old 08-14-2012, 09:10 AM   #221

We go boondocking with the horse club occasionally and a long time ago we were in a 96 winn brave pulling the horse trailer. Most others were in tents or sleeping in the back of their trailers. It got really cold by morning and I could look out the window and see how miserable they were. My new wife used to sleep on a leaky air mattress along with them before we were married but I informed her "homey dont play that" and traded my boat for a new motorhome.
One by one the poor souls came and knocked on the door for warmth and coffee. There was no gloating as they were all friends and we laughed. Needless to say they dont sleep in tents anymore!!!! I have never experienced any rv'er looking down at anyone else. When I look out the window on a cold morning I am tickled I never have to do that again ; even when its my kids and grand kids! Its all fun
Old 08-14-2012, 10:05 AM   #222

A couple of the guys in camp make fun of me. Not because of what I have, but because I keep it to the mid to high 70s. I don't like cold feet. Some don't turn on their heat at all when it's mid 30s outside. Some only set it to the low 50s. I bought a motor home, not a motor camp-out-in-it. If I can't keep the comfort level close to a home, something's not right.
Dunner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2012, 10:23 AM   #223

The measure of a successful RV'er and a good motor home is the miles and good times and friendships associated with it- Whether it is a entry level coach or a million dollar Prevost, all is measured by good times--- Most RV'ers like the idea of staying in their own rolling home versus staying in a motel or hotel- So, a comfortable, reliable, safe MH would be just as much fun regardless of price- But the high end MH is a dream of most RV'ers much like a yacht or a expensive car- Nothing wrong with dreaming and looking at all-- I love the walk around RV parks and check out all rigs and talk to owners and hear their stories-- I have never talked to one that was a snob or unfriendly at all.........................
Old 08-15-2012, 07:57 AM   #224

I don't think most RVers care how expensive or not expensive any ones rig is. We have a very nice motor home. I bought it at a low price from someone who needed to dump it. But I really liked my old GMC better. I just could not keep it running. Thank God for Cat motors and Allison transmissions. Much more reliable than Olds motors and old GM three speeds.

B Bob is offline   Reply With Quote