Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 06-19-2012, 09:46 AM   #15

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ramblin View Post

Turn the question around: Would you prejudge a family in a popup camper because they were not staying in a luxury coach? If so, then some introspect is in order. Popup camper guy may well be able to buy and sell you.
Probably far closer to the truth than many may suspect. If you look up the 'common characteristics' of America's millionaires the majority drive a car that's at least 10 years old, live in a quite suburban (not a gated) community, have lived in their modest home for years, etc., and etc. Bottom line is they didn't want to draw attention to themselves.

Personally know a few that fit that general description. If you didn't know, you'd never guess.

fae

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-19-2012, 09:51 AM   #16

National RV Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Ford Super Duty Owner
Carolina Campers
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dunner View Post
Ramblin, the ones in the tent are having just as much or more fun than the ones in the Snobmobile. We say the same thing about the guy at the dunes with his beat up $1000 VW rail compared to the guy with the $100,000 twin turbo V8 rail. And yes, some rails are $100,000+.

I agree. Not only that, but to prejudge people in a campground based on their appearance or accommodation is short sighted. I personally know a lawyer who tent camps, and prefers to tent camp. He goes out for weeks at the time, never shaves the whole time. Looks like a homeless wino when he comes back. For someone in a half-million dollar coach to presume that he is of a lesser class just because of his appearance or accommodation would be spurious. I will guarantee you that he doesn't look upon them as pompous asses, at least until they prove themselves to be that.

Ramblin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2012, 09:53 AM   #17

I've been in a super expensive rig once... awesome, but not my cup of tea! I was afraid I was going to get it dirty or scratch something. Felt equally as uncomfortable camped next to that expensive rig while I (at that time) was tent camping. I'm happy with my middle ground.
Old 06-19-2012, 10:04 AM   #18

I would hope that in a top end rig I'd feel VERY COMFORTABLE!!!!!

(King size 12 inch memory foam mattress.................)
Yellowstone Lake 6-1-2012
bluepill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2012, 10:08 AM   #19

Monaco Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
For any of you out there who own a 1million plus RV and feel uncomfortable with this, I would like to offer my assistance.

PM me and we can arrange to swap RV. I won't even change you for my service Always willing to help out.

Would I like a really expensive RV? You bet I would.
Would I be uncomfortable showing it in the camp grounds? Not for a second - and why should I be?

Providing people buy their expensive RV with hard earned money, I have absolutely no problem with that at all. I they want to show it to me I will be very pleased indeed.

Best of luck to them.

danes-on-tour is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2012, 10:23 AM   #20

When we had a pop up tent trailer I was very envious of anyone who had a travel trailer, fifth wheel, motorhome or anything that had air conditioning. Could not tell the difference between a 80 000 rig and a 500 000 rig they all looked good to me .

Now I'm a little envious of high end rigs as ours is low end, wouldn't mind some of the features that come with the high enders but could not afford the price tag. If we are snubbed by someone who has a high end rig, I don't usually connect the attitude to the rig, I just assume its there upbringing.
Old 06-19-2012, 10:36 AM   #21

National RV Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Sure, we would opt for a much more expensive rig, if we could afford it and had the use. Why not? Would not feel bad about it, frankly I suppose we would be giddy. Would it change our personalities, absolutely not. I'd be a bit of a crank, a very helpful one, however. And my wife would be a social butterfly, engaging and sweet.

But reality is; we own our first, only, and last RV and when we wear it out then we may give it away. That's the plan. Why not?

Many very expensive rigs are paid for, bought cash, so are the homes the people live in that own the rig, They have a lot of money and it is just fine with me. I mingle as well regardless if they choose to mingle with me. Still stay in touch with one such couple we met years ago.

Frankly when my wife and I go look at new coaches (kind of a past time) we always get back to ours and take stock. Other than some frills we basically have everything (rhetorically speaking) we just looked at and we are perfectly comfortable where we are. What's to wish for really, nothing?

I suspect the reason people in very expensive rigs may seem stand offish is we do not engage them. I have found pretty much that an extended hand and some casual conversation breaks down a lot of mystic barriers that sometimes linger over expensive RV's.

Once we were parked and a Prevost pulled along side followed by a Newell. These folks were in tandem and meeting family and friends for the week (sounds kinda normal). So after a pleasant greeting and exchange they went about their business and we returned to ours.

I found out later the Newell had a number of request from people to go inside and look around. Well the obliging couple consented but I thought to myself; there is a reason to hang back a little before you strike up a conversation. Not that it would happen to us (who wants to see ours) but having numerous request to "come inside" would get a bit old for me and perhaps for them as well.

People are people and generally nice, but their personalities are formed and locked in long before they consider purchasing anything like and RV. And just like the rest of us some are, well difficult, and most are wonderful; regardless of how much they paid for their rig.

But as for me if we ever hit that lottery ticket (it's the fourth leg of our retirement stool) wew would get that very expensive RV and not feel the slightest bit uncomfortable. Can't imagine why any one would.
njs42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2012, 10:48 AM   #22

Affluenza --- disease from feeling guilty of your success and hiding your assets from friends, family and others while also telling people you don' have money.
This is not a life threatening disease because it can be cured by caring less.
Magic Bus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2012, 10:53 AM   #23

Monaco Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Some people will probably agree

danes-on-tour is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2012, 10:57 AM   #24

National RV Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Ford Super Duty Owner
Carolina Campers
Quote:
Originally Posted by njs42 View Post
Sure, we would opt for a much more expensive rig, if we could afford it and had the use. Why not? Would not feel bad about it, frankly I suppose we would be giddy. Would it change our personalities, absolutely not. I'd be a bit of a crank, a very helpful one, however. And my wife would be a social butterfly, engaging and sweet.

But reality is; we own our first, only, and last RV and when we wear it out then we may give it away. That's the plan. Why not?

Many very expensive rigs are paid for, bought cash, so are the homes the people live in that own the rig, They have a lot of money and it is just fine with me. I mingle as well regardless if they choose to mingle with me. Still stay in touch with one such couple we met years ago.

Frankly when my wife and I go look at new coaches (kind of a past time) we always get back to ours and take stock. Other than some frills we basically have everything (rhetorically speaking) we just looked at and we are perfectly comfortable where we are. What's to wish for really, nothing?

I suspect the reason people in very expensive rigs may seem stand offish is we do not engage them. I have found pretty much that an extended hand and some casual conversation breaks down a lot of mystic barriers that sometimes linger over expensive RV's.

Once we were parked and a Prevost pulled along side followed by a Newell. These folks were in tandem and meeting family and friends for the week (sounds kinda normal). So after a pleasant greeting and exchange they went about their business and we returned to ours.

I found out later the Newell had a number of request from people to go inside and look around. Well the obliging couple consented but I thought to myself; there is a reason to hang back a little before you strike up a conversation. Not that it would happen to us (who wants to see ours) but having numerous request to "come inside" would get a bit old for me and perhaps for them as well.

People are people and generally nice, but their personalities are formed and locked in long before they consider purchasing anything like and RV. And just like the rest of us some are, well difficult, and most are wonderful; regardless of how much they paid for their rig.

But as for me if we ever hit that lottery ticket (it's the fourth leg of our retirement stool) wew would get that very expensive RV and not feel the slightest bit uncomfortable. Can't imagine why any one would.
Well stated. If I parked my coach next to your's people would think they were having double vision.

As far as people requesting a tour, I've had it happen to me a couple of times, mostly because I don't shy from associating with the canvas dwellers. Personally, if I am OFFERED a tour of your coach, I'd graciously accept, but I'd never ASK for one. It's just a little invasive, I think, to ask to enter someone elses living space uninvited, and can make for an (easily avoided) uncomfortable situation. The DW is messy (she blames it on me). We need some notice if we are to have guests inside.
Ramblin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2012, 10:59 AM   #25

Ask again in 3 months. My rig is my home, I don't feel bad about it. Won't in the new either.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
PDR John is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2012, 11:01 AM   #26

Quote:
Originally Posted by fredaevans View Post
Probably far closer to the truth than many may suspect. If you look up the 'common characteristics' of America's millionaires the majority drive a car that's at least 10 years old, live in a quite suburban (not a gated) community, have lived in their modest home for years, etc., and etc. Bottom line is they didn't want to draw attention to themselves.

Personally know a few that fit that general description. If you didn't know, you'd never guess.

fae
Wait. That sounds exactly like me.... Where's the money?

Quote:
Originally Posted by kat_nda_sand View Post
I've been in a super expensive rig once... awesome, but not my cup of tea! I was afraid I was going to get it dirty or scratch something. Felt equally as uncomfortable camped next to that expensive rig while I (at that time) was tent camping. I'm happy with my middle ground.
I go to the RV shows for the toys they give out at the gate. While I'm there, I go in the mega-mobiles trying to see why they are so expensive. Cold tile floors? Not for me. Step-up to trip on. Not that either. Most of them had something I didn't like. Some of the high-end ones were falling apart, and they were new.
Dunner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2012, 11:07 AM   #27

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
I always try to wave or say hello to those people in the big high dollar rigs when I see them in a campground. It makes many of them uncomfortable. Just kidding.

I hope they are as happy in their RV as I am in mine. Happy makes you wealthy, wealthy does not make you happy. It might help, but more often it hurts.
JayGee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2012, 11:12 AM   #28

I live in SoCal within reach of "Hollywood, Malibu, Century City" and the many other places of the "Stars". I often see people dropping of their children at school or shopping in their Ferraris, Maybacks, BMWs, etc. Come to think of it, I see a bunch of these parked in the student parking lots at the local high school and university.
Last week, a brand new RollsRoyce pulled up our street while my son and I were washing the MH. A neighbor's daughter was getting married and lovely sedan was going to take them to the church. We spoke with the driver/owner while he was waiting. Seems both our vehicles cost about the same amount. But I have a full bathroom. As for MPg he said my estimated 8mpg beat what he gets from his V-12.
Never been much for envy...the people who are happy and heathly, who have loving families, who have something to live for, are in my mind the winners.
Happy Trails.