Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 06-19-2012, 02:17 PM   #43

Do you feel uncomfortable in a VERY expensive rig?

Yes, very uncomfortable.

That's because I always afraid the owner is going to return and catch me
in his MH......

Sequim Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-19-2012, 02:38 PM   #44

Fleetwood Owners Club
On another post a part of my reply regarding "large" motorhomes fitting into campgrounds or not I said "if I don't fit in there I probably didn't want to be there", or something to that effect. I wasn't being smart, I meant it. If I find myself in a cg that is so tight that I can't manage my (really) 43' then I'm probably surrounded by smaller units and different styles of camping? I'll stand out (again) and People will look "sideways" at us as my DW sez. Most of them will be impressed and will make friendly comments and gestures to that effect. We have found ourselves in some of the most "basic" campgrounds in America and have yet to feel self conscious. I'm thinking of putting a personalized plate on it that reads "aloan again" to take some pressure off us? We have been in some of the fanciest resorts in America and that's where we have been made to feel self conscious. We bought a lot in one and trust me, there are some folks who really fancy themselves. Oh, by the way, we did work hard and long for what we have and the vast majority of folks we met recognize and respect this fact.
Coached is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2012, 03:06 PM   #45

Quote:
Originally Posted by RanCarr View Post
Why would anyone look at his rig with envy? Most people we met in the CGs from mid NYstate to southwest Florida have the rig they wanted. Or one very close. I only remember one person claiming they would like a larger 5th wheel but they didn't want to upgrade their TV. How about the guy in the $400,000 MH looking at those with TTs, PUs, 5th wheels with envy and jelousy realizing while he's only getting 5 to 6 MPG, everyone else is getting as many as 13 to 16 MPG. And think of his envy realizing he's in debt for many years while the others have bought cash and owe nothing, or very little. And think how rotten he feels as he realizes his $400,000 rig is losing value as he's making those monthly payments. And how much did he say the interest on the loan was? While the rest of us can fit in almost any site in any CG, he in his 40' MH cannot. Think of his envy when he has to find another CG.

Why would it negatively effect him/her what others think when he/she is probably already negatively affected when realizing what a financial drag that $400,000 unit is and will be until they downsize.

Oh my, where to start........

1. Someone didn't want a larger 5th wheel because they didn't want to
upgrade their tv?? And that makes sense to you.....

2. And the guy in the $400k MH is envious of those in 5ers, TT, and PUs
because they get a few more MPG? Did it occur to you that if he can
afford a $400k MH, he could have afforded any of those other RVs.
So obviously he is not worried about the cost of a few MPGs.

3. And the $400k MH guy (again, you seem to focus on him) is envious of
those that don't have a MH payment?? Sure, there are lots of paid for
MH out there, but also lots of payments being made on every type
of RV, cheap or expensive.

4. And now the poor guy feels rotten because his MH is loosing value while
he is making payments on it. I guess you don't realize that every RV out
there, yours and mine included, is loosing value every day, whether
paid for or not. It's called depreciation, look it up, it's in the dictionary
under "depreciation".

5. And as far as not fitting into smaller spaces in campgrounds, maybe he is
like me and doesn't care about smaller places in campgrounds, because
they usually don't have full hook-ups and pull-through spaces. I doubt
there is any envy that he can't stay in a small space, but since he can
afford a $400k MH, he is probably smart enough to plan ahead and find
a larger campground.

6. And why do you assume that if he can afford a $400k MH, he will be
"negatively affected" by the "financial drag" until he downsizes?
Why would he want to downsize? If he is smart enough to make
enough money to afford that RV, why isn't he smart enough to figure
out what he can afford to pay for an RV.

If he can afford that RV, I doubt he has any envy towards our RVs.

I totally disagree with your opinions, but however incorrect and illogical
they are, I completely support your right to post them.

And that's MY opinion.

Old 06-19-2012, 03:37 PM   #46

Carolina Campers
If someone in an ultra expensive coach sees me staring at their rig, it's not out of jealousy or lust, it's pure admiration for a top shelf product. I'll do the same thing if you happen to drive by in an A 1952 MG TD! I've had three different pop-ups (the first was a 1967 Camel barebones tent on wheels) and our current MH is a 1995 model. I've never felt like anyone in a bigger, newer rig was looking down their nose at me. If the camper next door is a good neighbor I couldn't care less if he's in a Prevost or a homebrew teardrop ( except if he's in a teardrop I wanna close look; I got a longing to build one!).
rocknrun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2012, 04:31 PM   #47

We do not have a $400,000 rig but it is just what we want at this time. We started nearly 50 years ago backpacking the entire length of the Appalachian trail, then grew through about every camping device I can think of. This is our second DP and I can't be bothered with what someone else thinks of it. The most fun was the back packing, but our backs will not pack now. I am a little envious of people that tent camp and maybe back pack. If you have a million dollar Prevost, I am not envious so you unless you take long back packing trips from it. Campers are unique people, and I enjoy their company whether they are in a hi-end rig or pup tent. I am in to comfort these days.
vraines is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2012, 04:41 PM   #48

I LOVE our motor home, we have had 4 fifth wheels and finally decided to get a Motor Home, and why didn't we get it before??!!! My husband served for 32 + years in the Air Force, worked hard all his life, I am still working and although I love what I do, I love to relax with him and our cat. So we love our luxury motor home and all the perks that come with it!
davefm111 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2012, 04:53 PM   #49

Do I have a little envy when I walk by a $400k MH, sure I do. But I will still
wave and say "Hi" as I give a little sigh and think to myself, "Wow, wish I
had one of those."
But it's the same little sigh and "Wish I had one of those" that I think when
I walk by a '56 Chevy or Jessica Alba.
But it doesn't mean I'm not happy with what I have, it's just human nature
to want nicer things.
I think that if I never wanted anything nicer than I now have, life would be
a little boring with nothing to look forward to.
And if you think my 13 year old gas MH isn't nice enough to park next
to you, well.........bite me...

Old 06-19-2012, 05:30 PM   #50

Oklahoma Boomers Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
I know the OP asked for only responses from the owners of high end 400k rigs but, I like many others would hopefully be more comfortable in the luxury such rig should have.
I love my current rig and love it when folks want to see the inside. I also love seeing the inside and mods that other folks have done!

We were camping last summer and the couple + 3 kids next to us; had a huge tent with 4 rooms, 2 portable (window type) A/C units, a portable sink with hot water (Army surplus)! When they asked to take a peek at our rig I told them sure look all you want but I HAVE to see your setup! It was way better than mine. Mine was just easier to move around.
4Knights is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2012, 05:38 PM   #51

If I'm worried about any of this I'm going back home and get a job cause I'm not doing something right.

I have the largest, prettiest, most expensive motor coach in our area. Well.....its the ONLY motor home in the area. Neighbors don't care and I don't care that they don't care.

One fella down the road sez, "Well. When ya turn out the lights they all look alike inside."

I just got back from a trip. Mr. Rufus, down ta Mossy Head Feed Store and General Mercantile gas pump sed, "Hm. See ya made it back agin'. Can ya ford ta fill it up this time?"

Mrs. Pearl from next place over asked one day, "How many youngin's can ya carry in that wheeled cabin?"

I remember from not to many years ago my daughters young friend asked her, "Ya'll really go clear out of the county in that thing? Sleepin' on the road side just don't seem natural somehow."
SKP #111927
SteveCal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2012, 05:45 PM   #52

Tiffin Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
It would be nice to have a high end RV, the same can be said for a large home. We all get what will fit are taste and savings account. I feel like a millionaire in my RV, but will always like something a little nicer.
toadog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2012, 08:30 PM   #53

Monaco Owners Club
I feel age uncomfortable, I am south of 50 and DW mid 30's 2 youngens and the the first question is,"is that yours"( nice ice breaker)
I have mostly tent camped my hole life with friends that didn't have the means I did but I didn't feel the need to upgrade from a tent. This is my first RV of any type I have ever owned and I lucked into this rig, looked for just over 2 weeks before I found her,2006 Dynasty over 400k sticker, picked her up for under 180k in 2010. Never drove anything this big in my life but that didn't stop me from flying from So.Cal to New York to pick her up and drive cross country as my first "trip". This has been my pattern in life go big or go home, I like getting in over my head, I like the challenge.
Most of the campers my age are in smaller units or tents with the kids and I am in the Retired/full timers section so when my 2 young boys come flying out of the rig you can imagine some of the looks I get.
Like others have said, when I see a nice rig with a price tag north of 400k I look but from a craftsmanship point of view, not envy.
Old 06-19-2012, 08:52 PM   #54

Regardless of the cost of the rig, it only matters HOW you camp. Cost is relative do you use it, how often and do you include friends and family. After all, the purpose is to have fun, enjoy nature and see the country
refncpa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2012, 09:08 PM   #55

I look at nice trucks pulling nice fifth wheels with envy. I hate motorhomes and all the head aches that come with em. Ok I don't really hate motorhomes just the head aches. I don't care what motorhome you have, they come with mechanical problem after mechanical problem just like a very old car. Vehicles were not meant to be parked for months at a time but what choice do you have with a motorhome. So when we finally trade our coach in for a nice truck and fifth wheel, I wont be to envious of the big 40000 dollar rig that parks beside me, or will I hmmmm.
Monacoach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2012, 12:03 AM   #56

Great thread, ya'll.

If I might, please allow me a moment...

I've been a visitor in million dollar rigs, and loved every moment of it. I've been a tent camper most of my life (when not traveling with my grandparents as a kid), and now I have started my family on the traditions.

Everytime I see one of those 400K+ coaches, I point them out to my beloved. I want her to know and see the craftsmanship and the work that went into the creation and acquisition of 'em. When it is all done, we head back to our PUP and the 11 year old truck, and we plan and talk about what it is we want as we grow together.

And if any of those rig owners are friendly and want a cold beverage, there is always an extra seat 'round the campfire, and a cold beverage in the cooler.

After all, we're all on the journey together!
Nhytefall is offline   Reply With Quote