Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 06-21-2012, 01:03 PM   #99

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4Knights View Post
I know the OP asked for only responses from the owners of high end 400k rigs but, .....
There don't seem to be many people here who could afford or who wanted rigs in that price range.

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-21-2012, 01:04 PM   #100

"Wise men still seek Him..."
Kathryn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2012, 01:09 PM   #101

Alpine Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by RanCarr View Post

Look up Satirical. Actually he may or may not be envious. Since when does a $400,000 RV bring happiness and satisfaction? Even millionaires commit suicide. He may have been happier in his popup or old 5th wheel and long for those days.

And you're entitled to your opinion no matter how stuff-shirt it is.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kathryn View Post
Definition of SARCASM - A cutting, often ironic remark intended to wound. A form of wit that is marked by the use of sarcastic language and is intended to make its victim the butt of contempt or ridicule.

If that was NOT your intent, you might want to word your posts more carefully.

And you're entitled to your opinion no matter how mean-spirited it might sound!

Kathryn

??????? Satire =/= sarcasm Not even close.

And yes I'd be very uncomfortable in a high dollar motor home.

I'd be afraid the owner may come home and find me

'05 Lance 845/'06 F-250 or '99 Alpine 36SDS Usually towing an '01 Wrangler locked on 35"s or moderate '98 Cherokee on 33"s (rear locker only)
daveshan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2012, 01:10 PM   #102

Quote:
Originally Posted by Monacoach View Post
I look at nice trucks pulling nice fifth wheels with envy. I hate motorhomes and all the head aches that come with em. Ok I don't really hate motorhomes just the head aches. I don't care what motorhome you have, they come with mechanical problem after mechanical problem just like a very old car. Vehicles were not meant to be parked for months at a time but what choice do you have with a motorhome. So when we finally trade our coach in for a nice truck and fifth wheel, I wont be to envious of the big 40000 dollar rig that parks beside me, or will I hmmmm.
Mechanical issues were another reason we passed up on MHs. My husband is getting too old to mess with mechanical issues and it's very costly to take a MH in for work. Not to mention the horror stories we've heard about what someone paid and still had problems. Or how long the shop kept the rig, weeks in some cases. And we sure didn't want a toad, yet another mechanical thing to take care of. But these things don't bother some people. More power to them.
Old 06-21-2012, 01:24 PM   #103

Quote:
Originally Posted by RanCarr

Mechanical issues were another reason we passed up on MHs. My husband is getting too old to mess with mechanical issues and it's very costly to take a MH in for work. Not to mention the horror stories we've heard about what someone paid and still had problems. Or how long the shop kept the rig, weeks in some cases. And we sure didn't want a toad, yet another mechanical thing to take care of. But these things don't bother some people. More power to them.
That post is a 2 way street.
Anything, MH,TT,FW, TV are all expensive to take in for work and no matter what you get fixed can still have reoccuring problems.
My wife and I tossed up getting a MH and still think about it for the future as a possibility. If I get too old, sick etc... It would be easier for my wife to learn driving a MH w/toad ILO hitching and dealing with a fifth wheel rig. In fact, she won't get behind the wheel at all with the fifth wheel attached.
EnolaEagle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2012, 01:45 PM   #104

Quote:
Originally Posted by EnolaEagle View Post
That post is a 2 way street.
Anything, MH,TT,FW, TV are all expensive to take in for work and no matter what you get fixed can still have reoccuring problems.
Yes, this is true. But we can avoid the mechanical problems that seem to be the most common and most persistent and the most expensive to fix. Perhaps if we were very wealthy with a huge retirement income we would view it differently... but as someone here already said, many millionaires drive 10 yr old cars and live in middle class neighborhoods.

Quote:
My wife and I tossed up getting a MH and still think about it for the future as a possibility. If I get too old, sick etc... It would be easier for my wife to learn driving a MH w/toad ILO hitching and dealing with a fifth wheel rig. In fact, she won't get behind the wheel at all with the fifth wheel attached.
I hear you. We've discussed that also. One day my husband, suffering from fibromyalgia, wont be able to set up the TT anymore. When that day comes, we'll probably get a used class A or Class C. Something that self levels and that I can drive. I wont tow the 28BRS. We'll also camp closer to home and may not snow-bird anymore once we switch. If it has to sit in the shop for awhile it wont matter. We'll buy an older used one.
Old 06-21-2012, 02:08 PM   #105

This may be a tad off topic but along the same lines of feeling uncomfortable...
Last weekend, my wife and I were on our way back from NC and decided to stop a Camping World outlet since I never saw one before...(but seriously, just keep on drivin because it ain't that special...) We were knockin around and checked out a bunch of different types of rvs there but there was a 42' bus (can't remember the brand) 3 slides, one was around 25' or bigger, the whole thing was massive.
Anyways, we looked thoughout and then she sat in the driver seat and said "I feel uncomfortable in this... and how the heck do you handle this thing going down the road.." "Its weird to sit on the couch and look at the steering wheel.."

Has anyone felt that way or still do? I'm sure it just takes a bit of getting used to but I can say that I was a bit uncomfortable as well but maybe the unit was just too big.
Old 06-21-2012, 02:19 PM   #106

I feel awesome in my coach. Instead of feeling shameful for owning my coach, I prefer to think of myself as an example of what you can achieve before the age of 50 when you work your ass off. I will say that I get very uncomfortable when I am around expensive women that are ugly, but I digress.....
Old 06-21-2012, 03:16 PM   #107
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Anyways, we looked thoughout and then she sat in the driver seat and said "I feel uncomfortable in this... and how the heck do you handle this thing going down the road.." "Its weird to sit on the couch and look at the steering wheel.."

Has anyone felt that way or still do? I'm sure it just takes a bit of getting used to but I can say that I was a bit uncomfortable as well but maybe the unit was just too big.
Not sure what you mean by sitting on the couch looking at the steering wheel. Do you mean that the driver's seat is so large it feels like a couch?

As for the size, we have a 40DP and tow a Ford Explorer so we're not exactly compact. Driving the rig is an entirely different world... because of how large it is... but it doesn't take long to adapt at all. There's nothing like sitting up at the same level as OTR truckers... leaning back in the big captain's chair... and watching the world go by through that huge windshield and not having to deal with the heat and noise of an engine in the front.

Rick

2007 Itasca Ellipse 40FD
RickO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2012, 03:33 PM   #108

Quote:
Originally Posted by RickO

Not sure what you mean by sitting on the couch looking at the steering wheel. Do you mean that the driver's seat is so large it feels like a couch?

As for the size, we have a 40DP and tow a Ford Explorer so we're not exactly compact. Driving the rig is an entirely different world... because of how large it is... but it doesn't take long to adapt at all. There's nothing like sitting up at the same level as OTR truckers... leaning back in the big captain's chair... and watching the world go by through that huge windshield and not having to deal with the heat and noise of an engine in the front.

Rick
She meant that its weird that the drivers area is inside the coach. Were used to a FW where there isn't a steering wheel.

I think it would take a lot for me to get used to because although I like to drive, I get sick of the wheel.
Usually when I'm done towing, unhitched and setup, I park the truck out of my sight and don't want to see it for awhile.
Old 06-21-2012, 03:38 PM   #109
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
She meant that its weird that the drivers area is inside the coach. Were used to a FW where there isn't a steering wheel.

I think it would take a lot for me to get used to because although I like to drive, I get sick of the wheel.
Usually when I'm done towing, unhitched and setup, I park the truck out of my sight and don't want to see it for awhile.
Thanks, I got ya.

I share your views about the steering wheel being obtrusive while set up. We got around that by purchasing a "wheel topper" which is a round table top designed to attach to the steering wheel of a DP when the wheel is flipped into the near horizontal position. It provides a level table for us at our entry door. We cover it with a table cloth and have a little lamp that sits on it making it look "almost" like home.

Rick

2007 Itasca Ellipse 40FD
RickO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2012, 03:45 PM   #110

Quote:
Originally Posted by RickO

Thanks, I got ya.

I share your views about the steering wheel being obtrusive while set up. We got around that by purchasing a "wheel topper" which is a round table top designed to attach to the steering wheel of a DP when the wheel is flipped into the near horizontal position. It provides a level table for us at our entry door. We cover it with a table cloth and have a little lamp that sits on it making it look "almost" like home.

Rick
Welp...ya did it! Now ima sell it all and grab me a Class A
Old 06-21-2012, 03:51 PM   #111

Well we don't have a fancy table but our chairs swivel 180 degrees so you can't even see the streering wheel. What we like about the motorhome over a trailer is that we can get up & get something to drink & use our restroom or bunks as needed. Now all we need is that extra 10-15mpg that you may get in a 5th wheel.
Old 06-21-2012, 03:54 PM   #112

I tow at 11-12mpg
I'm sure DP's are right around there?

Unhitched:
Street 14.5
HWY 21