Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 06-21-2012, 04:00 PM   #113

I don't have a DP but have been told that I should be getting about 6 towing, (This motorhome is new to us) and thats what I got in my much older motorhome that we sold. Was hoping to get more mpg, but I guess that just gives me more excuse to stay camped out longer to make my gas worth the trip!

As far as the super expensive rigs are concerned... I just don't need all that. Dishes get washed to the best of my ability & then run through the dishwasher when we get home. Don't need a washer & dryer as I'm supposed to be on vacation & I do laundry every day at home! So that can wait til we get home too!

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-21-2012, 05:16 PM   #114
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by EnolaEagle View Post
I tow at 11-12mpg
I'm sure DP's are right around there?

Unhitched:
Street 14.5
HWY 21
Hmmm.... I wish that were true.

Occasionally you'll read here where someone reports that they get that but I get around 7.4 mpg with my 40DP towing an Explorer. I might be just a bit on the low side of average for this size rig but not too far off. But, I look at the bright side... diesel is more expensive than gas.

Rick

2007 Itasca Ellipse 40FD
RickO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2012, 06:32 PM   #115

Quote:
Originally Posted by RickO View Post
Thanks, I got ya.

I share your views about the steering wheel being obtrusive while set up. We got around that by purchasing a "wheel topper" which is a round table top designed to attach to the steering wheel of a DP when the wheel is flipped into the near horizontal position. It provides a level table for us at our entry door. We cover it with a table cloth and have a little lamp that sits on it making it look "almost" like home.

Rick
LOL! What a great idea! I would never have thought of that. Now you just have 2 big easy chairs and a huge picture window!

Kathryn

"Wise men still seek Him..."
Kathryn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2012, 06:42 PM   #116

Thor Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Hell NO! I worked very hard and earned every dime that made. It is not my business if someone plays golf, sky dives or takes a lot of cruises. It is NO ONes business what I chose to spend my money on. When camping I'm just as happy with a slide in, pop up or travel trailer net to me. It isn't important what one has to go camping in, what is impoertant is that they are out there enjoying the USA.
Old 06-21-2012, 06:43 PM   #117

Quote:
Originally Posted by kat_nda_sand View Post
I don't have a DP but have been told that I should be getting about 6 towing, (This motorhome is new to us) and thats what I got in my much older motorhome that we sold. Was hoping to get more mpg, but I guess that just gives me more excuse to stay camped out longer to make my gas worth the trip!

As far as the super expensive rigs are concerned... I just don't need all that. Dishes get washed to the best of my ability & then run through the dishwasher when we get home. Don't need a washer & dryer as I'm supposed to be on vacation & I do laundry every day at home! So that can wait til we get home too!
Since I will be living in mine, I'll be getting the big one with the washer and dryer ... although I'll take the extra storage in the kitchen instead of a dishwasher.

Kathryn

Old 06-21-2012, 06:46 PM   #118

We were just talking about that around the Fire. We wintered in Texas again this winter. Well we went with a new truck and 5th wheel. I had one Clown question me why I traded up as my truck was an 08 and trailer was an 2010. I didn't know it was his business what I did with my money. Some people you just can't please so Don't !! the Clown doesn't want to be around us any more. Maybe something I said Yep.

Enjoy Life don't worry what others say. If they are you friends they will be happy for you.
Old 06-21-2012, 06:53 PM   #119
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kathryn View Post
LOL! What a great idea! I would never have thought of that. Now you just have 2 big easy chairs and a huge picture window!

Kathryn
And the chairs swivel around to face the living area. Wish I had a picture of it set up but here's the table itself. It really made a difference in the appearance of the coach when set up. Wheeltopper Steering Wheel Table - Wheeltoppers Inc 80078 - Folding Tables - Camping World

Rick

2007 Itasca Ellipse 40FD
Old 06-21-2012, 07:50 PM   #120

Quote:
Originally Posted by RanCarr View Post
And you're entitled to your opinion no matter how stuff-shirt it is.

It must be simple for you to go through life unburdened by logic, reality,
and common sense.......

IMO...

Old 06-21-2012, 08:10 PM   #121

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sequim Guy View Post
It must be simple for you to go through life unburdened by logic, reality,
and common sense.......

IMO...

LOL!

X2

Old 06-21-2012, 08:38 PM   #122
Senior Dude

Forest River Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by EDALLSAILS View Post
It isn't important what one has to go camping in, what is important is that they are out there enjoying the USA.
AND Canada!

Don't forget about us Canadians.

We're the guys north of you!

Want me to post a map?

We're really nice up here!
Old 06-21-2012, 08:44 PM   #123

I don't know about others...but, I love seeing the variety of rigs as I walk through the RV parks. It's like being in a candy store...some you really admire and some are just okay. It seems to me that if you feel others are jealous as they look at your rig, then you may want to explore why that is your assumption?! I look at your rig and think, "Oh! My! Isn't it just beautiful?"....but, that's just me. I am sorry You perceive that others are jealous....when they may just be admiring your incredible rig as I have.
Old 06-21-2012, 08:57 PM   #124

Freightliner Owners Club
When we drove off the lot 3 years ago this month this 2008 had 6000 miles,I ask my wife do you know how much this rig is worth now?she said no and I said $0 thats the only way i could justify spending this kind o $,but she worked 42 years as a RN and deserved and wanted an RV for a long time,yes there's a Morgage and if we live long enough the daughter get the paid off RV or she can pay it off or sale.
Old 06-21-2012, 09:27 PM   #125

Quote:
Originally Posted by dogpatch View Post
We're really nice up here!
Must be something in the water.
Dunner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2012, 09:30 PM   #126
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by DT-Ali View Post
I don't know about others...but, I love seeing the variety of rigs as I walk through the RV parks. It's like being in a candy store...some you really admire and some are just okay. It seems to me that if you feel others are jealous as they look at your rig, then you may want to explore why that is your assumption?! I look at your rig and think, "Oh! My! Isn't it just beautiful?"....but, that's just me. I am sorry You perceive that others are jealous....when they may just be admiring your incredible rig as I have.
Very well said and welcome to the forum.

We don't have a rig in the price range the OP specified but we do have a relatively new 40DP. We have the smoked glass on all of the side windows and external sun screens for the front windows. This results in us being able to see out very well during the daytime but nobody can see in... it reverses in the dark but that's another (embarrassing) story.

Often times in our travels, we have seen people stop and look our coach over in great detail... pointing to this feature and that. Frankly, I've always felt somewhat a sense of pride when I've seen this happen and will often times find some reason to exit the coach and talk to them. While I would have no problem if anyone ever asked for a "tour" of the inside... it has only happened a couple of times... and I've always felt it would be presumptuous of me to offer.

At the end of the day I think there are some misconceptions between owners of different types of RVs just as there are in so many parts of society... but once this thin crust of "ignorance" is scraped away, it all ends up with people just being people... especially if they are sitting around a campfire. This probably holds true 95% of the time. We all probably know cases where someone in a Prevost didn't return a wave to the family in the pop up... and the couple in the Class C that assumes the folks in the Dynasty next to them think they're "too good" to mingle with the rest of the CG, when all they're really doing is working at their desks or watching TV in a very comfortable environment while they travel.

It's all good so long as we're out there.

Rick

2007 Itasca Ellipse 40FD