Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 06-18-2012, 09:59 PM   #1

Do you feel uncomfortable in a VERY expensive rig?

I know that this will seem a bit… Odd. Hopefully no one will take offence by it (wanna bet someone will?)

We have looked at trading up to a 40’ + Class A – full body paint, four slides, nicer than a “New York apartment” and wondered (THIS IS SPECIFICALLY FOR THOSE WHO OWN RIGS IN THE $400,000 RANGE AND UP): Have you ever felt odd, out of place, looked at with a jaundice eye in campgrounds while others parked around you looked/stared in envy? Has this ever bothered or disturbed you – made you feel uncomfortable?

Just curious. Other than being THRILLED that you are the one with the FANTASTIC rig, has it crossed your mind and wondered if other felt the same way? Has it negatively affected you?
Just For Fun is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-18-2012, 11:58 PM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Just For Fun View Post
I know that this will seem a bit… Odd. Hopefully no one will take offence by it (wanna bet someone will?)

We have looked at trading up to a 40’ + Class A – full body paint, four slides, nicer than a “New York apartment” and wondered (THIS IS SPECIFICALLY FOR THOSE WHO OWN RIGS IN THE $400,000 RANGE AND UP): Have you ever felt odd, out of place, looked at with a jaundice eye in campgrounds while others parked around you looked/stared in envy? Has this ever bothered or disturbed you – made you feel uncomfortable?

Just curious. Other than being THRILLED that you are the one with the FANTASTIC rig, has it crossed your mind and wondered if other felt the same way? Has it negatively affected you?
I started a thread called "Are Class A RVers snobs?" - it is in General Discussions. I just bumped it up so you can find it more easily.

Don't be misled by the title - the question was really about "reverse" snobbery - pretty much what you are asking.

Some interesting responses, for sure!

Kathryn

"Wise men still seek Him..."
Kathryn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2012, 01:56 AM   #3

It's just me my toys and my dog. Do I need a 32' class A? No, I could do fine with a "C" and my 20' enclosed.

The way I look at it is, you only live once, enjoy it.

I won't say I worked hard for it, but I did work all my life. I'm not rich either; I consider myself "comfortable". I never was one for paying someone else to use their money, so everything I own is paid for. If I wanted a DP, I could buy one, but what for? This will probably be the last RV I own.

I camp with people that sleep in tents, pick-up beds, 5ers, DPs, tiny TTs and everything in between. In the dunes or at the camp fire, we are all equal.

What I have found on this and other forums, is people with certain brands of RVs think they are in a class of their own and don't appreciate it when people that don't own "their" brand post in "their" section. I have even received PMs to that effect.

Does it bother me that someone has a better RV? No. What bothers me is when they act like they are better than other people just because they have a huge mortgage on wheels. The same ones that when fuel goes up a penny.

Dunner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2012, 03:12 AM   #4

Quote:

Why would anyone look at his rig with envy? Most people we met in the CGs from mid NYstate to southwest Florida have the rig they wanted. Or one very close. I only remember one person claiming they would like a larger 5th wheel but they didn't want to upgrade their TV. How about the guy in the $400,000 MH looking at those with TTs, PUs, 5th wheels with envy and jelousy realizing while he's only getting 5 to 6 MPG, everyone else is getting as many as 13 to 16 MPG. And think of his envy realizing he's in debt for many years while the others have bought cash and owe nothing, or very little. And think how rotten he feels as he realizes his $400,000 rig is losing value as he's making those monthly payments. And how much did he say the interest on the loan was? While the rest of us can fit in almost any site in any CG, he in his 40' MH cannot. Think of his envy when he has to find another CG.

Quote:
Why would it negatively effect him/her what others think when he/she is probably already negatively affected when realizing what a financial drag that $400,000 unit is and will be until they downsize.
Old 06-19-2012, 03:15 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dunner View Post
Does it bother me that someone has a better RV? No. What bothers me is when they act like they are better than other people just because they have a huge mortgage on wheels. The same ones that when fuel goes up a penny.
There you go! What makes some people think all the campers out there are hungering for a huge expensive MH? There's something wrong with that kind of thinking.
Old 06-19-2012, 05:04 AM   #6

Monaco Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
$400,000. !! 3-1/2 years ago we purchased our present '04 MH for 17% of that amount (see signature). It is 40' long has FBP and 3 slides for resale purposes and it was what we wanted.
Are we supposed to feel bad or should we feel good that we shopped for a year and a half to find what we wanted at such a price? Should everyone own just a tent? Then no ones feelings would be hurt except those that couldn't afford a tent.
Sounds much like our school systems, "dumbing down" to the lowest denominator so no one's feelings are hurt....
To answer the original question, it wouldn't bother me at all to have the nicest rig in the park however in 17,000 miles and 75+ parks, that's never been the case...
PS - 1,000 posts and counting
H. Miller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2012, 06:20 AM   #7

Mid Atlantic Campers
Forest River Owners Club
Coastal Campers
I don't have a "luxury" Class/Type A, but don't want one. I look at the high end 5th wheels with desire, but no envy. I want a higher end for the quality of workmanship, all weather traveling as it would be my full time home.
Old 06-19-2012, 06:20 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by RanCarr View Post
Why would anyone look at his rig with envy? Most people we met in the CGs from mid NYstate to southwest Florida have the rig they wanted. Or one very close. I only remember one person claiming they would like a larger 5th wheel but they didn't want to upgrade their TV. How about the guy in the $400,000 MH looking at those with TTs, PUs, 5th wheels with envy and jelousy realizing while he's only getting 5 to 6 MPG, everyone else is getting as many as 13 to 16 MPG. And think of his envy realizing he's in debt for many years while the others have bought cash and owe nothing, or very little. And think how rotten he feels as he realizes his $400,000 rig is losing value as he's making those monthly payments. And how much did he say the interest on the loan was? While the rest of us can fit in almost any site in any CG, he in his 40' MH cannot. Think of his envy when he has to find another CG.

Why would it negatively effect him/her what others think when he/she is probably already negatively affected when realizing what a financial drag that $400,000 unit is and will be until they downsize.
Sounds like a little envy right there!

Kathryn

"Wise men still seek Him..."
Kathryn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2012, 06:30 AM   #9
Moderator Emeritus

Ford Super Duty Owner
"Do you feel uncomfortable in a VERY expensive rig? "

I would not know....but that is just me.

Ken
Amateur Radio Operator (KE5DFR)|No Longer Full-Time! - 2023 Cougar 22MLS toted by 2022 F150, 3.5L EcoBoost Tow Max FX4 Lariat Travel with one Standard Schnauzer and one small Timneh African Gray Parrot, retired mechanical engineer
TXiceman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2012, 07:24 AM   #10

When I retired my wife and I decided to buy the biggest and the best mh that was not a Prevost. No longer did I want to look out of the window of my less expensive MH and see another mh and say I wish we had one of those. I now have what I consider "one of those" and I am sorry but I don't feel guilty or uncomfortable. I worked for everything I have and I am proud of what I have.
Mike Canter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2012, 08:09 AM   #11

National RV Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Ford Super Duty Owner
Carolina Campers
Quote:

Do you feel owning such a coach would be an excess? Do you think you don't deserve such a luxurios ride? Do you feel pretentious about camping in a half-million dollar rig? If you answered yes to any of those, maybe re-examining your priorities might be in order.

I can't answer your question directly, because I am not in that situation. I drive a 10 year old coach that was $135k new. But I will say that people I meet in the CG seem to treat me pretty much the same whether they are sleeping in a $400K Prevost, or a $40 tent from WalMart. And I will offer a cold one or a cup of coffee to anyone who walks up to say hello, without regards to who they are, what they drive, or their station in life.

I will say this: If you can afford a $400k coach, then you have done what you needed to do in life to deserve it. If others look at you with a jaundiced eye, then THEY have the problem, not you. To spend your life depriving yourself of luxuries because of what others may think is not reasonable or healthy.

Turn the question around: Would you prejudge a family in a popup camper because they were not staying in a luxury coach? If so, then some introspect is in order. Popup camper guy may well be able to buy and sell you.
Ramblin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2012, 08:19 AM   #12

Well, to tell the truth, I don't give a damn about what anybody "feels" about anything, period!

Ed
Ed-Sommers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2012, 08:25 AM   #13

Ramblin, the ones in the tent are having just as much or more fun than the ones in the Snobmobile. We say the same thing about the guy at the dunes with his beat up $1000 VW rail compared to the guy with the $100,000 twin turbo V8 rail. And yes, some rails are $100,000+.

Dunner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2012, 08:38 AM   #14

I will never know that answer, but wish I were able to. Maybe if I win the lottery.
John H... is offline   Reply With Quote