Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 06-07-2014, 11:44 AM   #15

Winnebago Owners Club
Vintage RV Owners Club
If you are paranoid about fires don't run you fridge or water heater on propane while traveling. If you are not paranoid about fires run you fridge or water heater on propane while traveling. It is a personal thing and one easily lived with one way or the other. Our unit has the propane storage tank directly under the Norcold Fridge and in its 20 years neither has been a problem to the other. I am not happy with the Norcold and will be replacing it soon with a newer model Dometic but that is just for more room being available in the newer Dometic.

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-07-2014, 11:52 AM   #16

Winnebago Owners Club
Coastal Campers
Our second RV, both with Norcolds (residential fridge now though) both we always ran on LP while in motion if the generator was not running. ALways thought that was part of the reason it could run on LP.

HD4Mark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2014, 11:57 AM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by macantic View Post
I do it all the time,I did it with my last coach that had a norcold and now with this coach that has a dometic and haven't any problems,yet! you could always run your genny so it would run on ac if it would make you feel better.
X2 for me, on the 4 motor homes I have had and currently. They are designed to run on propane running down the road.
vapor3000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2014, 12:03 PM   #18

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arch Hoagland View Post

Had three RV's with Norcold refrigerators and ran them all on propane while traveling.

My current Norcold 1200 has been fine and cools quite well.

I have a question for you about the Norcold fires....How many Norcolds are in use and how many fires have there been?
There is PLENTY of information on the Internet regarding your question.

Google Search is your friend!

Dr4Film ----- Richard
Old 06-07-2014, 12:09 PM   #19
Senior Member/RVM #90

Monaco Owners Club
Any reason why you folks don't run the fridge on the inverter while traveling and save that expensive propane? Just curious.....

2002 Monaco Windsor 40PBT, 2013 Honda CRV AWD
MSHappyCampers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2014, 12:22 PM   #20

Haven't needed to travel with the fridge running on propane as it stays cold for hours. However, if we stop for a while, and park fairly level, will turn on the fridge. We do freeze a couple bottles of water and put them in the fridge when driving in warmer temps.

Our 800 series Norcold uses very little propane so never considered an inverter for it.
Old 06-07-2014, 12:40 PM   #21

National RV Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by MSHappyCampers View Post
Any reason why you folks don't run the fridge on the inverter while traveling and save that expensive propane? Just curious.....
Many of us don't actually have an inverter.

As to the propane when running thing. I have always been taught not to. However, after spending a couple of hours googling for concrete examples of coach fires caused by this practice, I came up empty. I still don't run with it on because as earlier posters said, your fridge should be able to keep things cold for several hours even with it turned off. It is also illegal to have propane on in many jurisdictions when driving through tunnels, riding on ferries and so on. I have no desire to get out of my rig on the highway to turn off the propane because of a tunnel.
Old 06-07-2014, 02:06 PM   #22

Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by pumper9x9 View Post
Nope. Couple of reasons 1) slight fire hazard in the event of a wreck or an ignition source for some other incident like a gasoline spill at the fuel station next to you while you are filling up. But why risk it.
2) When the frig is running and it's not level this causes a build up in the cooling system that will shorten the life of your refrigerator. We have had the refrigerator off for up to 15 hrs and stuff was still cold in the frig and frozen in the freezer. (we weren't driving the whole time we just forgot to turn it back on) Hope it helps.
Pumper 9x9 - Just about every manufacturer and dealer will tell you that there is a problem if the fridge is running when the coach is parked in an uneven or less than level position. The constant jostling while moving prevents this from occurring. Second, you are correct about the potential hazard at a fuel pump but it only takes a second to turn the fridge off before you enter the station. In the event of an wreck or accident, I worry about the bigger picture. How does one prevent someone from crashing into the coach at the location of the propane tank? That would be a much larger issue.
mvpmich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2014, 03:57 PM   #23

Quote:
Originally Posted by MSHappyCampers View Post
MSHappyCampers
A refrigerator running 24/7, (and a water heater used only when you are not moving), use relatively little LP.
In our old coach, a 20lb tank of propane would last a whole camping season, (including making coffee daily and occasionally cooking on the stove top).
With this coach, (which we live in 3-4 months each year), I really never notice that the propane drops measurably, (unless we use the furnace or the LP genset).

Mel
'96 Safari
Old 06-07-2014, 04:16 PM   #24

I've never turned our propane off...ever. Fridge uses it while we're on the road. Ditto the hot water tank. Furnaces too, if we need 'em.

It seems as though some of you make life a lot harder for yourselves with all the wives tales "Do's and Don't's" that get published here.

There is nothing in the Dometic fridge book which says don't run the fridge on propane while on the road. We do it on every trip and always have.
Old 06-07-2014, 04:34 PM   #25

thank you all for the fast comments. i really appreciate that and will take your advices with the best practice.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mel s View Post
CountryFit
Are you sure your fridge doesn't have a 3 way, (auto/off/gas), switch on the control panel?
mel, mine does have on/off and auto aes/gas buttons. so far it works on propane not 110v although present (when fridge doors are open, the light comes on)... i might have to check that out...
Old 06-07-2014, 05:04 PM   #26

Quote:
Originally Posted by CountryFit View Post
thank you all for the fast comments. i really appreciate that and will take your advices with the best practice.

mel, mine does have on/off and auto aes/gas buttons. so far it works on propane not 110v although present (when fridge doors are open, the light comes on)... i might have to check that out...
CountryFit
The fridge light is 12VDC and doesn't indicate that 120VAC is being supplied to the refrigerator.
Check the 120VAC circuit breakers in your main panel and for power at the refrigerator receptacle, (behind the OS fridge cover/vent).

Mel
'96 Safari
Old 06-07-2014, 07:30 PM   #27

you are correct, mel. 120v for fridge on main panel is on, but the power outlet at the back of fridge reads 3v. not sure why no power there as microwave works so inverter is working....

here is how the switches on rm1272 dometic fridge look like:
Old 06-07-2014, 08:11 PM   #28

Monaco Owners Club
Driving is dangerous so we leave our coach in the driveway

Tags
fridge