Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
Reply
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
 
Old 06-08-2014, 07:48 AM   #29
Registered User
 
mel s's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Posts: 8,777
erator
Quote:
Originally Posted by CountryFit View Post
you are correct, mel. 120v for fridge on main panel is on, but the power outlet at the back of fridge reads 3v. not sure why no power there as microwave works so inverter is working....
CountryFit
Your inverter may not have anything to do with the operation of your refriferator.
In many (most?) coaches the refrigerator receptacle is not powered by the inverter, (only when there is shore or generator 120VAC power).
While driving on the road the only way to operate the refrigerator in my coach is with LPG, (unless I run the genset)....but I can run my microwave on inverter power.

If you have shore power and the refrigerator receptacle reads only 3V that needs to be corrected.

BTW, if the fridge receptacle is dead you can test the 120V operation of the fridge, and it's automatic switching, by plugging it into an extension cord that's plugged into shore power while it is running on LP.

Good luck.

Mel
'96 Safari
__________________

__________________
mel s is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-08-2014, 09:14 AM   #30
Senior Member
 
TdogKing's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: Small Town USA , California
Posts: 1,349
We've been RVing over 30 years and have always run ours on propane on the road.
__________________

__________________
TdogKing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2014, 09:22 AM   #31
Senior Member
 
DonDee's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2012
Location: Spring Valley AZ
Posts: 1,204
Yes.
__________________
Don, Mary and Spooky
'00 Bluebird Skoolie Conversion
Geo Tracker/Dodge Neon/Aprilia Scooter towed
DonDee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2014, 09:24 AM   #32
Senior Member
 
CampDaven's Avatar


 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: Fulltime, USA
Posts: 14,460
Blog Entries: 1
Yep. They were made for it.


Dave and Nola - RVM1
__________________
Dave and Nola, RVM1
The Journey is Our Destination!

http://davenola.blogspot.com/
CampDaven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2014, 10:20 AM   #33
Senior Member
 
CountryFit's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: Between the Oceans
Posts: 3,543
Blog Entries: 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by mel s View Post
erator

CountryFit
Your inverter may not have anything to do with the operation of your refriferator.
In many (most?) coaches the refrigerator receptacle is not powered by the inverter, (only when there is shore or generator 120VAC power).
While driving on the road the only way to operate the refrigerator in my coach is with LPG, (unless I run the genset)....but I can run my microwave on inverter power.

If you have shore power and the refrigerator receptacle reads only 3V that needs to be corrected.

BTW, if the fridge receptacle is dead you can test the 120V operation of the fridge, and it's automatic switching, by plugging it into an extension cord that's plugged into shore power while it is running on LP.

Good luck.

Mel
'96 Safari
mel, i plugged in 110v at the back access door to fridge, the indicator on front panel stayed at ac, which was good. but, somehow the compressor didn't kick off, looks like i need to dig in more on this.

another thought is to run on solar-inverter. i am thinking the compressor might consume just a little power, maybe 50-100 watts? if so, with a small mod, the inverter 120v power can be provided to the fridge, then the fridge will be full time on ac.

thoughts?
__________________
2000 Country Coach Intrigue 40', ISC 350
2014 Ford C-Max Energi
CountryFit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2014, 10:31 AM   #34
Senior Member
 
TBS-POPS's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2013
Location: Valley Springs, Ca
Posts: 368
Quote:
Originally Posted by TdogKing View Post
We've been RVing over 30 years and have always run ours on propane on the road.
Ditto here..... Since about 1968 propane always on while traveling.
__________________
2018 Vilano 375FL
2017 F-350 CC DRW 6.7
TBS-POPS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2014, 10:41 AM   #35
Senior Member
 
Gordon Dewald's Avatar
 
Winnebago Owners Club
Join Date: Mar 2014
Posts: 10,164
Did a quick check on the web. Ontario allows travel with propane on but all propane appliances are required to be turned off while refueling the vehicle.

In Ontario anyway it appears to be your choice.

We travel with it off as we feel we do not need it on. Beer is cold and steaks are frozen at end of day.
__________________
Gordon and Janet
Tour 42QD/inTech Stacker
Gordon Dewald is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2014, 11:26 AM   #36
Registered User
 
Winnebago Owners Club
Vintage RV Owners Club
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Cherry Creek, BC Canada
Posts: 7,650
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gordon Dewald View Post
Did a quick check on the web. Ontario allows travel with propane on but all propane appliances are required to be turned off while refueling the vehicle.

In Ontario anyway it appears to be your choice.

We travel with it off as we feel we do not need it on. Beer is cold and steaks are frozen at end of day.
OK now fess up. In Ontario beers and steaks left outside 65% of the year are cold and frozen. I know I usta live there about 600 miles northwest of Trauna. Twenty or so years ago I moved to Bring Cash.
__________________
Possum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2014, 11:33 AM   #37
Registered User
 
mel s's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Posts: 8,777
Quote:
Originally Posted by CountryFit View Post
mel, i plugged in 110v at the back access door to fridge, the indicator on front panel stayed at ac, which was good. but, somehow the compressor didn't kick off, looks like i need to dig in more on this.

another thought is to run on solar-inverter. i am thinking the compressor might consume just a little power, maybe 50-100 watts? if so, with a small mod, the inverter 120v power can be provided to the fridge, then the fridge will be full time on ac.

thoughts?
CountryFit
You could do that.
However, there's a reason that most RV refrigerators aren't wired to operate on power from the inverter....(they draw quite a lot from the house batteries).
An "absorption refrigerator", (like your Dometic RM1272), running on LPG 24/7 uses very little battery and not much propane.

May I ask why don't want to simply run the fridge on LP when you don't have shore or genset 120V power?
That's what I do, (and I expect most other boondockers do as well).

BTW, absorption refrigerators have no compressor, (nothing kicks off, or on, or makes a noise when they are operating on 120VAC).

Mel
'96 Safari, 132k miles, (mine since '01)
__________________
mel s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2014, 02:28 PM   #38
Senior Member
 
Tony Lee's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: Peru heading for Brasilia, Brazil
Posts: 2,117
Quote:
Arch, even one fire was too many for me to take the risk!
What about one crash too many. Do you leave the RV in the driveway so as not to take that far bigger risk.


Yes, I travel with the fridge running on propane, and the inverter running, and the furnace running if it is cold, and the generator powering the AC if it is stinking hot and the dash AC can't cope.

And I wear my seat belt at all times and the rig is fully insured.
__________________
Tony Lee - International Grey Nomad. Picasa Album - Travel Map
RVs. USA - Airstream Cutter; in Australia - MC8 40' DIY Coach conversion & OKA 4x4 MH; in Germany - Hobby Class C; in S America - F350 with 2500 10.6 Bigfoot camper
Tony Lee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2014, 06:46 PM   #39
Senior Member
 
CountryFit's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: Between the Oceans
Posts: 3,543
Blog Entries: 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by mel s View Post
May I ask why don't want to simply run the fridge on LP when you don't have shore or genset 120V power?
That's what I do, (and I expect most other boondockers do as well).

BTW, absorption refrigerators have no compressor, (nothing kicks off, or on, or makes a noise when they are operating on 120VAC).

Mel
'96 Safari, 132k miles, (mine since '01)
hi mel, cost of lp is minimum, not my concern. my major concern is the fire from lp/fridge after seeing so many fire incidents. maybe i am overreacting... the fact that quite a number of users are opting resi fridge, which has no propane, and overwhelmingly happy about the swaps, could explain. since my fridge rm1272 is relatively new, if i am just using the ac function (shut off lpg supply), it should be as safe as resi fridge... i could be wrong, and my mind could change as well
__________________
2000 Country Coach Intrigue 40', ISC 350
2014 Ford C-Max Energi
CountryFit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2014, 07:49 PM   #40
Registered User
 
mel s's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Posts: 8,777
Quote:
Originally Posted by CountryFit View Post
hi mel, cost of lp is minimum, not my concern. my major concern is the fire from lp/fridge after seeing so many fire incidents. maybe i am overreacting... the fact that quite a number of users are opting resi fridge, which has no propane, and overwhelmingly happy about the swaps, could explain. since my fridge rm1272 is relatively new, if i am just using the ac function (shut off lpg supply), it should be as safe as resi fridge... i could be wrong, and my mind could change as well
CountryFit
Far more houses catch fire every day than RVs.
Nothing or no place is safe.
A % of people that go into the hospital don't get out alive.
I know that a lot of people die in bed, (but I don't sleep on the floor).
If everyone worried about everything that might happen nobody could enjoy anything.
Mel
'96 Safari
__________________
mel s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2014, 08:00 PM   #41
Senior Member
 
alpha99's Avatar
 
Winnebago Owners Club
Join Date: Apr 2013
Posts: 1,035
Do you keep fridge running on LPG while driving?

Yes, we ran the fridge on LP the entire time during our month long 5,000 mile trip last summer and we'll do it again this summer. After all that and many more trips and running the heater some during the winter I'm still at 1/4 tank. Time for the annual propane fill, lasts at least a year for us.
__________________
alpha99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2014, 08:41 PM   #42
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Posts: 645
I like living life on the edge, so yes, over the years of owning four RV's with both Dometic and Norcold brands, I've always ran the refrigerators on LP while traveling. I do try to remember to turn it off while refueling and in California, I'm required to turn it off going through tunnels.

Knock on wood, I've never had any kind of failure with any of them.
__________________

__________________
Ricardo Tegarini
2005 Itasca Sunova
Workhorse Chassis W20
RTegarini is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
fridge



Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Running Generator and House AC on road AKJohn Class A Motorhome Discussions 55 05-24-2014 04:17 PM
Fridge question Chemosavvy Travel Supreme Owner's Forum 6 04-20-2014 10:42 AM
Residential Fridge redbaron Monaco Owner's Forum 12 04-09-2014 08:47 PM
Fridge Problem At Altitude rvjimzhr RV Systems & Appliances 8 04-09-2014 10:06 AM
Driving Lessons OWV Jayco Owner's Forum 7 02-07-2014 05:52 AM

» Virginia Campgrounds

Reviews provided by


Copyright 2002- Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.

All times are GMT -6. The time now is 01:38 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.