Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 06-08-2014, 08:52 PM   #43

Quote:
Originally Posted by RTegarini View Post
?..I'm required to turn it off going through tunnels.

Yeah...right.

I always stop, get out and turn the propane off before I go through a tunnel. I especially enjoy doing that in the winter...or when it's raining! That's when it is REALLY fun!

Yeah...right...sure I do.

Rich & Linda

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-08-2014, 08:56 PM   #44

National RV Owners Club
Over 50,000 miles and no problems!

Old 06-08-2014, 09:32 PM   #45

Winnebago Owners Club
Hmmm...there are a lot of vehicles that run on propane, even in California...and city buses.
Old 06-08-2014, 09:39 PM   #46

Winnebago Owners Club
Vintage RV Owners Club
I had a truck that I used for business and it was propane powered. Lots of stupid arguments with BC Ferries staff about the "You have to turn off your propane," rules.
Old 06-09-2014, 07:34 AM   #47

This is always a "religious" argument, meaning most of it's based on "faith" not facts.
Did you know it's also "illegal" to use your cellphone in a gas station, depending on what state you're in?...How many news flashes have you seen where a cellphone blew up a gas station?
I've posted on this before... the number of cars that fill up at gas stations with bad spark plug wires would astound you. Open the hood at night, and you can see arcs inside the engine compartment flashing like lightening. That would be a MUCH bigger risk than having your LP fridge on. Gasoline vapors have to be at a relatively high concentration and/or pressure in order to ignite.

Your system is designed to run problem free at highway speeds. If it DOES get blown out (never had that happen, and been through hurricane with ours) it will fault and shut off.

I know I'll get flamed...but that's the facts as I see them.

Jim
Old 06-09-2014, 08:48 AM   #48

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lobstah View Post
the number of cars that fill up at gas stations with bad spark plug wires would astound you. Open the hood at night, and you can see arcs inside the engine compartment flashing like lightening.
Jim
Lobstah

When a gasoline engine isn't running, the spark plug wires don't arc/spark.

BTW, quite often "truckers" don't shut their diesels off while they "fuel up".
That might be OK, (safe?), because diesel engines don't have spark plug wires......but when I have to refuel next to a running semi, it sure gets noisy, (and irritating)!

Mel
'96 Safari
Old 06-09-2014, 09:02 AM   #49

Winnebago Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Possum View Post
OK now fess up. In Ontario beers and steaks left outside 65% of the year are cold and frozen. I know I usta live there about 600 miles northwest of Trauna. Twenty or so years ago I moved to Bring Cash.
OK - fessing up. I dont live in Ontario. Just the first website I found that was relevant. Not a big deal for me either way if you leave your propane on or off.

We snowbird in Yuma so travel in spring and fall is in the +100 range. Fridge stays cold all day with power and propane OFF.

Friend who at the time was District Fire Chief in major city told me about a training scenario they set up for refresher.

Vehicle carrying gas and propane is in an accident in cool weather. Driver is pinned in vehicle. Gas tank is punctured and leaking gas. Propane tank is on and propane leaking from ruptured hose. Answer given at one session was "Give him a cigarette and a match and wish him luck".

As I said I can see no reason to run the fridge on either electric or propane other than convenience by not having to turn the propane and fridge off. There is the thread about Norcolds having issues so why take unnecessary chances.

Here's your sign and a cigarette and a match. LOL
Old 06-09-2014, 11:44 AM   #50

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
OK now fess up. In Ontario beers and steaks left outside 65% of the year are cold and frozen. I know I usta live there about 600 miles northwest of Trauna. Twenty or so years ago I moved to Bring Cash
I live in Ontario and can verify what you are saying is true. In fact most of us Canadians dont even use fridges, we just poke a hole in our igloo and keep the beer outside but within arms reach.

Those who are stating that there fridge contents are staying cold while not having their reefer on are most likely not traveling more then one day because by the next morning your fridge will be defrosted.
Old 06-09-2014, 11:33 PM   #51

Winnebago Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by georgetown350 View Post
I live in Ontario and can verify what you are saying is true. In fact most of us Canadians dont even use fridges, we just poke a hole in our igloo and keep the beer outside but within arms reach.

Those who are stating that there fridge contents are staying cold while not having their reefer on are most likely not traveling more then one day because by the next morning your fridge will be defrosted.
We travel for 4 days. Start fridge and have everything cold when we leave. Stop first night, run generator to make coffee, run furnace and fridge, turn on propane and run fridge on propane overnight after generator is off. Repeat each night until at final destination when we hook up to shore power, then run fridge on AC.

Have done this for 6 years and never had a problem. Take a dozen rib eye steaks, and seafood along so we are careful.
Old 06-10-2014, 06:42 AM   #52

Mel,
That's very true...when not running, they don't spark.
Not sure what that has to do with the topic though.

The cars with bad wires are certainly running when they pull INTO the pumps, and there are those folks that don't turn off their engines when they're filling up.
And what about the arcs/sparks that happen when you hit the ignition switch to start the car after you refuel? The static arcs that occur in the winter in dry climates when you get into and out of the car?

My point is that there are millions of arcs/sparks occurring around gas pumps every day. If the fuel vapors were at dangerous levels of concentration, then gas stations would be catching fire everywhere, and the entire methodology of filling a car with gasoline would have been changed eons ago.

The fact that that hasn't happened tells me it's a non-issue.

Jim

Quote:
Originally Posted by mel s View Post
Lobstah

When a gasoline engine isn't running, the spark plug wires don't arc/spark.

Mel
'96 Safari
Old 06-10-2014, 07:16 AM   #53

As you have read it is strictly your choice. Both Dometic and Norcold design their RV appliances to safely operate on LP while underway.
2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA 1SG, retired;PPA,Good Sam Life member,FMCA."We the people are the rightful masters of both the Congress and the Courts - not to overthrow the Constitution but to overthrow men who pervert the Constitution. "Abraham Lincoln"
Ray,IN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2014, 08:41 AM   #54

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lobstah View Post
Mel,
That's very true...when not running, they don't spark.
Not sure what that has to do with the topic though.
The fact that that hasn't happened tells me it's a non-issue.
Jim
Jim
I agree that sparking plug wires have little to do with the topic
However, you added sparking plug wires into this conversation, not me!
Mel
Old 06-10-2014, 09:41 AM   #55

Monaco Owners Club
I don't run my fridge on LPG, only electric. If I attempted to run my fridge on LPG it would burn up and that is one reason why I switched to a residential fridge in the first place.

Dr4Film ----- Richard
Old 06-10-2014, 11:43 AM   #56

National RV Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Possum View Post
I had a truck that I used for business and it was propane powered. Lots of stupid arguments with BC Ferries staff about the "You have to turn off your propane," rules.
Actually, this one is not so stupid. Propane is heavy and collects in hollows like bilges. In many boats with barbeques, you will note that the propane tank is in an external compartment that has no access to the interior and also has a drain hole in the bottom that goes right off the boat. Now the chances of a concentration on one of the big ferries getting high enough to spark flash is pretty low but propane fires and explosions on boats are a very different animal than that of an RV.

Tags
fridge