Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 06-10-2014, 12:01 PM   #57

Winnebago Owners Club
Vintage RV Owners Club
Sirpurrcival, the arguments were over how the truck was to board the ferry with the propane off. Without propane it wouldn't run so couldn't move. They also would not tow the truck and trailer onto or off the ferry so we were at a Mexican standoff.

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-10-2014, 03:04 PM   #58

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr4Film View Post
I don't run my fridge on LPG, only electric. If I attempted to run my fridge on LPG it would burn up and that is one reason why I switched to a residential fridge in the first place.

Dr4Film ----- Richard
i like this approach. richard, mine is an absorption fridge, not a residential. if i use ac only, will that reduce the probability of propane fire to the level equivalent or close to residential's?

Old 06-10-2014, 05:58 PM   #59

Monaco Owners Club
Unfortunately, you need some type of HEAT source for the absorption fridge to work properly, either LPG or electric.

My residential only needs electric to run the control board and compressor.

When the fire situation was first exposed some 6-8 years ago with the Norcold RV fridges what most people don't realize is that the main cause of the Norcold catching on fire was happening ONLY when the fridge was operated on 120 VAC electric not LPG. The fire was determined to be caused by faulty electric heaters and the insulation around the wire where the heaters were attached to the cooling coil tubes. Norcold subsequently changed the design and wattage of the heaters after that was discovered.

The poor insulation allowed the heaters to short out causing the 120 VAC wire to become like an electric welder which cut a hole into the cooling coil. Once the hole was cut through the pipe, the gas escapes which is very explosive and the fire begins.

Later I remember another RVer who had left his fridge on LPG overnight because they got home really too late to unload the fridge. Well, the cooling tubes up behind the freezer/fridge area had gotten compromised with rust and it corroded through allowing the gas to escape. The LPG flame below acted as the ignition source and the rest is history, total loss of the RV. The reason the tubes can get rusted is from turning it on and off frequently form using the RV on a camping trip and then turning it off once you get back home and the fridge is empty. What happens is condensation occurs from the heating and cooling causing moisture to build up around the tubes which in turn caused rust to occur. Eventually the rust ate through the cooling tube allowing the gas to escape.

I chose not to deal with those situations any longer among many other problems I had to deal with on my RV fridge. I now have a great working residential fridge that is on 24/7/365 just like your fridge at home would be plus I get so much more storage than the 10-11 cu ft I had with the NotSoCold.

Dr4Film ----- Richard
Old 06-10-2014, 07:26 PM   #60

Do you keep fridge running on LPG while driving?

A bit off topic, residentials are, me thinks, IMHO.

Some try to make a point, others try to prove them.

I have a Dometic. No need for change. Nothing to gain but space I dont need.

Nothing spent.

I keep it running. All year, every year.

http://davenola.blogspot.com/
CampDaven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2014, 08:33 PM   #61

We stop for lunch after driving about 4 hrs and we noticed that the fridge was not cooling. So I reset it and it was running again. We happened to stop again at a store an hr later and again the fridge was off.
I looked outside and the bottom grill was missing. Therefore without it the fridge would shut off while traveling
The DW then told me she saw something fly off in the mountain about 2 hrs earlier.
In those 2 hrs we noticed melted Ice cream and warmer stuff in our fridge.
My fridge never shuts off other then when propane needs to be off. And we never had any fridge issues in the 22 years of old trailer ownership.
Before FTing we ran it all summer and just shut it off for winterizing. Most people I know with issues are the weekenders that shut their fridge during the week to save on power. Like mentioned before those fridge need to run.
Old 06-10-2014, 08:47 PM   #62

Monaco Owners Club
When we had an RV fridge we turned off not only the fridge but the propane tank. Yes I know there are those that run with these things on and might turn them off if they go thru certain tunnels BUT there are bridges and roads and highways that all restrict or say you cannot not have it on and so that I do not have to remember where they all are we just turn it off going down the road. Now those that keep it on may never be stopped but we don't want to take the chance.

RVSafely.com - just some examples
From MD - LP Gas is prohibited on I-95 tunnels of Baltimore Harbor and Fort McHenry. Alternate route for RVs with propane is over the Francis Scott Key Bridge on I-695.
From Mass - LP Gas is prohibited between Boston and East Boston; Sumner and Callahan tunnels; Prudential and Dewey Square tunnels.
From NJ - LP Gas prohibited between Manhattan and Jersey City in the Holland Tunnel. Between Manhattan and Fort Lee, the lower level of the George Washington Bridge (I-95 South) and George Washington Bridge Expressway. Between Manhattan and Weehawken in the Lincoln Tunnel
From NY - LP gas is prohibited between Manhattan and Jersey City in the Holland Tunnel. Between Manhattan and Fort Lee, New Jersey lower level of the George Washington Bridge (I-95 South) and the George Washington Bridge Expressway between Manhattan and Weehawken, New Jersey: Lincoln Tunnel. LP gas is prohibited between Manhattan and Brooklyn on the Brooklyn Battery Tunnel and between Manhattan and Queens on the Queens Midtown Tunnel.

Then there are those little towns and neighborhoods that have restrictions on propane on places that aren't really posted anywhere. Like I said I really don't want to try to remember where we can have it or have to turn it off so it just goes off when we are going to travel.
Old 06-10-2014, 09:46 PM   #63

Turn it on...turn it off. Turn it on again...turn it off again. Only run on AC. Shut it off for tunnels. Shut it off when you fuel. Leave it on all the time. Don't use the gas on the road.

Wow. My head hurts!

Some of you folks sure make life difficult for yourselves, and all because of some old wives tales that simply are not true. READ YOUR FRIDGE INSTRUCTION BOOK! Show us where it says not to run over the road with the gas on.

Rich & Linda
Old 06-10-2014, 10:26 PM   #64

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr4Film View Post
Unfortunately, you need some type of HEAT source for the absorption fridge to work properly, either LPG or electric.

My residential only needs electric to run the control board and compressor.

When the fire situation was first exposed some 6-8 years ago with the Norcold RV fridges what most people don't realize is that the main cause of the Norcold catching on fire was happening ONLY when the fridge was operated on 120 VAC electric not LPG. The fire was determined to be caused by faulty electric heaters and the insulation around the wire where the heaters were attached to the cooling coil tubes. Norcold subsequently changed the design and wattage of the heaters after that was discovered.

The poor insulation allowed the heaters to short out causing the 120 VAC wire to become like an electric welder which cut a hole into the cooling coil. Once the hole was cut through the pipe, the gas escapes which is very explosive and the fire begins.

Later I remember another RVer who had left his fridge on LPG overnight because they got home really too late to unload the fridge. Well, the cooling tubes up behind the freezer/fridge area had gotten compromised with rust and it corroded through allowing the gas to escape. The LPG flame below acted as the ignition source and the rest is history, total loss of the RV. The reason the tubes can get rusted is from turning it on and off frequently form using the RV on a camping trip and then turning it off once you get back home and the fridge is empty. What happens is condensation occurs from the heating and cooling causing moisture to build up around the tubes which in turn caused rust to occur. Eventually the rust ate through the cooling tube allowing the gas to escape.

I chose not to deal with those situations any longer among many other problems I had to deal with on my RV fridge. I now have a great working residential fridge that is on 24/7/365 just like your fridge at home would be plus I get so much more storage than the 10-11 cu ft I had with the NotSoCold.

Dr4Film ----- Richard
this is by far the most thorough description on the principle/issues/history of rv fridge fire i have read. thank you richard for enriching my knowledge base
Old 06-11-2014, 12:11 AM   #65

Winnebago Owners Club
Vintage RV Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by PyrateSilly View Post
RVSafely.com - just some examples
Traveled all through that area two years ago and never turned off our fridge or the propane.
Old 06-11-2014, 05:22 AM   #66

National RV Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Possum View Post
Sirpurrcival, the arguments were over how the truck was to board the ferry with the propane off. Without propane it wouldn't run so couldn't move. They also would not tow the truck and trailer onto or off the ferry so we were at a Mexican standoff.
Well that clarifies it somewhat. Not exactly how it was portrayed. One could easily see why they might want it turned off at the tank once boarded. Clearly turning it off before boarding would not make any sense.
Old 06-12-2014, 12:16 PM   #67

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich-n-Linda View Post
Turn it on...turn it off. Turn it on again...turn it off again. Only run on AC. Shut it off for tunnels. Shut it off when you fuel. Leave it on all the time. Don't use the gas on the road.

Wow. My head hurts!

Some of you folks sure make life difficult for yourselves, and all because of some old wives tales that simply are not true. READ YOUR FRIDGE INSTRUCTION BOOK! Show us where it says not to run over the road with the gas on.

Rich & Linda
AMEN!!!!
vapor3000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2014, 12:26 PM   #68

Winnebago Owners Club
Vintage RV Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by sirpurrcival View Post
Well that clarifies it somewhat. Not exactly how it was portrayed. One could easily see why they might want it turned off at the tank once boarded. Clearly turning it off before boarding would not make any sense.
Right you are foxy but you know bureaucrats and rules, Neither have to make sense.

Tags
fridge