Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-22-2016, 04:19 PM   #1
Community Moderator

Do you know where I can get those brackets for gas spring

i have been trying to find a few pairs of brackets similar to my coach, but to no avail. i called visione, colaw and az salvage for used, they seemed having no interest... left a message to cc, they have not called me back since yesterday...

it's for storage bay door gas springs. one is affixed onto the frame, another is on the back of the door. do you happen to know where i can get those? thanks.

here are the photos:

CountryFit is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-22-2016, 04:27 PM   #2

Go to your local hardware store, big box store or steel/aluminum supplier and get a piece of angle with a leg long enough and trim the other leg to size. Those pieces are chassis builder specific and if you can't get them there you'll have to get creative.
Pigman1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2016, 04:53 PM   #3
Community Moderator

thanks. that sounds good, i didn't think about it...
Old 07-22-2016, 05:01 PM   #4

You can get the gas strut brackets on Amazon as well. They won't match what you already have however.
Scatterbrain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2016, 05:13 PM   #5
Community Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scatterbrain View Post
You can get the gas strut brackets on Amazon as well. They won't match what you already have however.
yes, i checked amazon, and fussy googled the entire web, i didn't see any of them like mine. just wonder where cc got those from (i have found that they just outsourced almost all parts except the shell, and maybe a few proprietary items ).
Old 07-22-2016, 05:15 PM   #6

Any small metal fab shop could make the one out of angle stock and weld up the other out of two pieces of flat. Price might not be horrible. Probably better if you want several.
nothermark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2016, 05:28 PM   #7

Country Coach Owners Club
Those brackets were made by a machine shop in the Eugene area. Sorry I don't remember the name of it but I could drive you to it! It is located on Old River Road.

Have you tried Kevin Waite, or Bob Vinson, or Oregon Motorcoach?
Old 07-22-2016, 05:34 PM   #8

Fleetwood Owners Club
I'm not sure why you need the brackets, the gas struts usually just fastens onto a ball joint type fitting. Maybe do a google search for gas struts and you can determine what you need. Check to see if your struts have a number on them and try a search for them. I think in your bottom photo if remove the clamp on the strut you can see the ball socket?. Here is a link where I bought mine off ebay, they may be able to help.
http://stores.ebay.com/strut-your-st...p2047675.l2563
98FPA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2016, 05:39 PM   #9

Google up JR Products Gas Strut Mounts. They carry several different types. Amazon carries some, and others you can get direct from them.
Or, just google up "Gas Strut Mounts". It will bring up dozens of web sites that have hundreds of styles.
Grumpy
grumpy0374 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2016, 05:50 PM   #10

Workhorse Chassis Owner
O'Reilly Auto Parts stocks a large selection of those gas struts. I'd be very surprised if you can't walk in and find the one you need.
Easyrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2016, 05:57 PM   #11

Winnebago Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Country Fit,

These people have been around for a while and they look like a quality vendor:

HatchLift | Hydraulic Lift Kits | Rv Hatch Lifts | Hatch Hinges

Good luck with your project.
puttin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2016, 07:31 PM   #12
Community Moderator

thank you all for the info. glad to see many options out there. i will check those sites hopefully find the right one

Quote:
Originally Posted by dons2346 View Post
Those brackets were made by a machine shop in the Eugene area. Sorry I don't remember the name of it but I could drive you to it! It is located on Old River Road.

Have you tried Kevin Waite, or Bob Vinson, or Oregon Motorcoach?
hey don,
you remember not long ago i was looking for molly rivets? that was for the storage door. i have been pondering why each and every door, when i face it, the left hand side is sagging. not only looking uncool, it hinders the door opening when it is no longer straight up-down. i came to conclude that because only one gas spring supports the heavy door at right hand. when you are opening or closing the door, a big force is applied to those rivets making them loose; when coach is on the road, the right hand side has the gas spring to support but the left hand side has nothing. over time it will come down more and more... in an engineer's view, it's a flawed design but easy to fix. what i wanted to do is to add another gas spring to the left hand side for each big doors; totally 9. the existing gas spring is at 90 lbs, when i am using two, 50 lbs for each side should be good. does this make sense?

i have not called kevin or bob yet, but i called omc today. bill at omc said he will check and call me. well, no words yet.

i know old river road is near jc, parallel to 99w. it's a long road. i am not in eugene area right now... thanks!!

happy trails everyone!!
Old 07-22-2016, 10:11 PM   #13

See my post in country coach owners group. I machined new ones from 3X3 aluminum angle. They don't bend. Also, when replacing, make sure the upper and lower line up. Some of mine were up to 3/4 inch off. Also in that post, another contributor said the springs should go large end up to keep the seals lubricated . I found this to be true also. Mine from CC were installed opposite and failed after ONLY 12 years or so.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image.jpg
Views:	88
Size:	213.8 KB
ID:	133918  
CC Driver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2016, 12:01 AM   #14
Community Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by CC Driver View Post
See my post in country coach owners group. I machined new ones from 3X3 aluminum angle. They don't bend. Also, when replacing, make sure the upper and lower line up. Some of mine were up to 3/4 inch off. Also in that post, another contributor said the springs should go large end up to keep the seals lubricated . I found this to be true also. Mine from CC were installed opposite and failed after ONLY 12 years or so.
wow, so cool! much easier to get aluminum angle, no rust and no bend! yes, lining them up is the right way (i re-positioned a few because out of line and bending)...
my larger end is at bottom too, as the install instruction said so. i'll try the upside down next time.

love this board

Tags
gas