Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-09-2019, 05:40 AM   #29

I'm in lower Alabama, when we're home and the RV is plugged in the AC runs most of the year. Humidity and heat will kill the interior if you don't. As a bonus it is really nice to be able to board the RV and not feel like you're walking into an oven.
Weru1205 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-10-2019, 07:43 AM   #30

Quote:
Originally Posted by Weru1205 View Post
I'm in lower Alabama, when we're home and the RV is plugged in the AC runs most of the year. Humidity and heat will kill the interior if you don't. As a bonus it is really nice to be able to board the RV and not feel like you're walking into an oven.
Hello, Neighbor. Same here, we leave the salon A/C on all the time, and the only issues we've seen have had to do with the wall-mounted thermostat that controls both roof units.

Occasionally, I'll enter the coach and it's warm, and the thermostat reads 00, with the mode on unit 3 (which we don't have). A/C is not operating. Trying to turn it to the BR unit (2) doesn't work, so remove the fuse for 20 seconds and do it again. We've bought a new thermostat, but no change, so if the fuse doesn't fix it (which is a reset, not blown fuse) I swap out the thermostats.

Having a cool coach is worth it's weight in free diesel
Old 09-15-2019, 02:58 PM   #31

YES 24/7! I'm in Bakersfield, we have similar weather, similar humidity, heat and cold temps. For the past 3 months our home has been going through a major remodel so we have been living in our Class A 2003 Newmar Dutch Star...it's been soooo nice living in 320 sq feet that I'm scared of going back to the 2,000+ sq foot house! hahahaha

These are the steps I took:

#1 I prepared by cleaning my roof with Dicor Rubber Roof Cleaner and then used Dicor Rubber Roof Protection...that was a full day affair. I have a Brite-Tek roof w/ 7mm Decking. Brite-Tek is an EDPM rubber product.

#2 Then I had both of my 2 x 13,500 BTU Penguin Central Air Conditioners professional cleaned and serviced to include all coils. My AC's are 16 years old and original. They both passed with flying colors and I have 96,000+ on my rig.

#3 Then I closed all blinds and used Double Bubble Reflective Foil Insulation (24 inch X 10 Ft Roll) Industrial Strength, Commercial Grade, Radiant Barrier Wrap and surrounded my windows. I also have a magna shade placed on outside windshield.

With all this, my AC is not actually ON all the time. It is pretty cool in here even when we experienced 108 degrees. I have it set at 78 degrees when I am out, and when inside I bring it down to 76 or 77 degrees and have had no issues.

Since I am not using the home AC, I have not seen an increase in my AC bill...but both home and RV are not on simultaneously in my current case.

Hope this helps!
Summer2003 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2019, 03:08 PM   #32

Texas Boomers Club
It would just make it ware out sooner.
Glensouth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2019, 03:10 PM   #33

we run our AC as weather conditions require.
Old 09-15-2019, 03:15 PM   #34

We have a 2019 Forester by Forest River and it has really been hot in the south east. Our a/c unit has been keeping up nicely in the low to upper 90. I noticed that it runs 24 hrs non-stop all the time. You can hear the compressor kicking on and then it would kick off but the fan runs constantly. I questioned that when I had it in for other warranty issues. They called Dometic and they told the tech that was designed that way. So I don't know if all of are that way but thought I would mention it.
Stevemarshia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2019, 03:22 PM   #35

Service Regularly

I would think regular maintenance would be very important if running 24/7.
Redjead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2019, 03:29 PM   #36

Related question

Ok to run one constantly on 20amp circuit?
Croquet King is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2019, 03:46 PM   #37

AC 24/7

Quote:
Originally Posted by jarata View Post
we are in palm springs and need the air all the time is there a problem leaving it on all the time with temps over 100 day and night
Run it constantly when humidity is low. High humidity would cause ice buildup but with low humidity no problem.
TheKassman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2019, 04:09 PM   #38

We leave our AC on when gone.

I don't know if this helps but we are snow birds and leave our 5th wheel in Florida during the Summer (unless we are traveling in it). We leave the A/C on with the thermostat set at 78 degrees primarily to keep the humidity down, which may not be an issue in the desert. Our monthly electric bill runs about $30 just for the trailer A/C but is worth it to prevent any sort of mildew. We monitor the temperature and humidity 24/7 via the Internet to be sure everything is working OK. The daily temperature inside the RV has been 80 degrees with a humidity level of 49% (averages). We have had no issues with moisture building up over the past 4 summers. 2005 Doubletree Mobile Suite, 36ft.
johanson89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2019, 04:52 PM   #39

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheKassman View Post
Run it constantly when humidity is low. High humidity would cause ice buildup but with low humidity no problem.
If you leave it running with doors and windows closed, the inside won't build up humidity.
twinboat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2019, 05:07 PM   #40

Too stinking hot in Georgia to turn it off.
Old 09-15-2019, 05:16 PM   #41

24/7, 365.
We keep our 40’ DP at home as a guest house, emergency A/C source, etc and it stays plugged in and A/C on 85. Saves the wood, saves the glue joints, protects most everything. Our 19 y/o RV still looks factory new inside because of this care. Sure, hits the electric bill but our RV looks and wears like brand new inside because of this extra care.
Gene Jackson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2019, 05:27 PM   #42

Quote:
Originally Posted by jarata View Post
we are in palm springs and need the air all the time is there a problem leaving it on all the time with temps over 100 day and night
We leave our A/C set to 85 when parked, not in use at home. It cycles as it should. When we're in the MH, it's set to 75-80. It's been steadily 100+ in FL until the past few days. I like it cool inside to keep it like the house (77 all the time).

Tags
air, air conditioning