Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-02-2015, 01:49 PM   #15

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
There is one button on the HWH control that I never understood. Last July we had HWH look at ours and I found out. When you turn the ignition to acc and turn the HWH system, if you touch that rabbit button it will stop the air dump right where it is.

He used it so I could extend the jacks and he still had room to work underneath and install new springs.

Wait, not sure if it was the rabbit button. Have to go look.
2012 Journey 36M, Cummings 360hp
Cooperhawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-02-2015, 02:04 PM   #16

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Yes, it is the rabbit button.

Can't figure out why they put a rabbit on it.
2012 Journey 36M, Cummings 360hp
Cooperhawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2015, 06:19 AM   #17

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
What campgrounds do you all frequent? I don't want to be anywhere near you guys with all that air dumping going on!
Old 09-03-2015, 08:12 AM   #18

Just to be certain all viewers are aware, as from campground discussions, I've learned that their are different levels of understanding on leveling systems in general!

That I know of their are three different kinds of leveling systems:

1) None. You can spot these either via the non leveled park job, or, the park job that includes various blocks under wheels to level.

2) Jacks. Four corner, or tripod. All electric or combo electric and hydraulic. These can be on coaches with airbags too.

3) All airbag. Can be from four up to twelve bags involved, depending upon coach chassis.

4) Maybe more that I don't know about!

I mention the different kinds of leveling systems, because especially between 2 and 3, the procedure to level can and do differ.

We have an all airbag leveling system. I elect to dump, not always all the way down, but a great way of the way down. Then activate the leveling system. As mentioned by many, I do this to provide as low as possible 'leveled position'.

I agree with advice to read your manuals, and follow your coach builders instructions.

Best to all,
Smitty
Smitty77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2015, 12:42 PM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by twojayhawks View Post
I actually prefer to dump the air (without engaging the auto leveling) feature and then see what kind if any additional leveling is required. The auto level on our coach seems to want to raise the coach awfully high when it doesn't seem necessary.
Twojayhawks,
This is a common problem with many of the HWH Auto Leveling systems. We've seen it many times in campgrounds and, we have a friend with a coach very similar to ours that also has the HWH 625 Computer Controlled Automatic Leveling System. And his too will raise his coach, way too high in it's leveling process, EVEN ON FLAT GROUND!

We must be lucky. In ours, I prep for leveling, by setting the parking brake, shutting down the engine, placing the ignition key in the ACC position and, push the "ON" button of the HWH leveling system twice. At that time, both the wife and I hop out of the coach and sit back and watch or, I go fiddle around with the shore power and hose hook up stuff.

They say, "they" being somewhat HWH experts, that you should not walk around while the Automatic leveling is in progress. The main reason is, if you're walking around, you're moving the computer leveling sensor and, that confuses the system. So, just in case any of that "thought process" is true, we just exit the coach and, let it do its thing, 'till I hear that last little spit of air, which is the notification that the HWH system is complete with its process.

At which time we can re-enter the coach and, I turn the Key to the OFF position and, we can now extend the slides. Done.

But, the answer to your over extended height is an adjustment to your system. Now just where and how to adjust it, I've not found out yet. I will, just in case ours ever does what yours and our buddies is doing.
Scott
FIRE UP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2015, 01:40 PM   #20

I hit the auto and let the air ride do it 90%of the time,faster and it works great for us. JMO
hardint is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2015, 06:59 PM   #21

My automatic dumps before it does any leveling action - no choice.
DA_BUS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2015, 07:07 PM   #22

Fleetwood Owners Club
American Coach Owners Club
To answer the OP's question, it depends on the leveling system. On a previous coach, the air had to be manually dumped prior to leveling. On this coach when the leveling, the air is automatically dumped.
Cat320 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2015, 08:43 AM   #23

Fleetwood Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
I've done it both ways. If the front will be too high I dump the bags air. If just overnight and RV is level I don't dump or use the levers. My auto dump does not dump when using the auto levers. I have to leave the engine on when leveling otherwise I get a LOW VOLTAGE light on the panel. This is the worst thing you can do for the hydraulic system. And I don't like the auto levers, I use manual to do a better job, less shifting up and down.
Also I have an Android phone app "Gravitometer" that tells when level, and a spouse that "TELLS ME" it's OK.
'15 Fleetwood Discovery
Old 09-04-2015, 04:49 PM   #24

Newmar Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
I have the HWH 325 manual system. I always dump the suspension before leveling. Lifting the coach while the springs are inflated could damage them and it also gets my steps closer to the ground.
DD788Snipe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2015, 05:02 PM   #25

Newmar Owners Club
A 15 yr old HWH 625 system, factory installed, Hit the "On" button twice, auto air dump starts, dumps for app. 30 seconds, jacks start down on the low side/end, A/C water and rain(light) runs off the rear/left gutter w/extensions. Hats off to HWH, system still works perfect!
Old 09-04-2015, 05:10 PM   #26

Tiffin Owners Club
I find that the auto dump can cut off early. I can get closer to the ground when I manually dump first.

Tags
leveling, suspension