Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 06-16-2015, 10:01 AM   #1
Senior Member/RVM #90

Monaco Owners Club
Do you lubricate your PacBrake?

I just wondered how many of you lubricate your PacBrake exhaust brake on a regular basis? Quite some time ago I bought a bottle of lubricant from PacBrake and have used it a couple of times, but not like I should! They recommend using it at least once a year for MH's that are in regular use, or every 4 months for MH's used occasionally.
MSHappyCampers is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-16-2015, 10:27 AM   #2

Lube mine up before any long period of non-use.
Summer storage or parked in the south, during the snowbird thing.
Old 06-16-2015, 10:31 AM   #3

Yes, of course, but given there are thousands of rigs out there that have never had lubrication of the exhaust brake (or the fan hub zerk either for that matter) and they have no problems, I'm not going to get overzealous about it. If and when I need to raise the bed is plenty often enough.
Old 06-16-2015, 10:47 AM   #4

Monaco Owners Club
Ok folks please enlighten me on the Pac Brake ? We recently bought our 1st motorhome. Have been checking it out and reading the owners manual,etc. Our coach has a Pac Brake that is a pedal on the left side of the drivers floorboard. So this being a form of engine exhaust brake, do you just push on the pedal when going down hill, after letting up on the throttle first ? Do you hold the Pac pedal down until you no longer need the exhaust brake action ?

Thanks for any help !

Chuck
Chuck and Robbin Harrison....plus 1 PB, a G Pyrenees and 1 Jack Russell. Zenie, Smokie and Buddy ! 1998 38' Monaco Dynasty Duke with a 8.3 Cummins. Everyday truck is a 2010 F150 XLT 4x4 and 2016 Ford Escape.
Migkiller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2015, 11:48 AM   #5
"Formerly Diplomat Don"

Newmar Owners Club
I made lubing the PacBrake part of my yearly oil change and service so I wouldn't forget.

"Migkiller"......You need to find out what you have. I'm guessing it's and Engine Brake, not Exhaust Brake. An exhaust brake blocks off the exhaust forcing the engine to build up pressure and slow the coach down. An engine brake closes off the engine valves causing backed up pressure. Engine brakes are more effective than exhaust brakes, usually come with two speeds and are installed in coaches as they typically reach a certain price level like your Dynasty.
Dutch Star Don is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2015, 04:08 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Migkiller View Post
Ok folks please enlighten me on the Pac Brake ? We recently bought our 1st motorhome. Have been checking it out and reading the owners manual,etc. Our coach has a Pac Brake that is a pedal on the left side of the drivers floorboard. So this being a form of engine exhaust brake, do you just push on the pedal when going down hill, after letting up on the throttle first ? Do you hold the Pac pedal down until you no longer need the exhaust brake action ?

Thanks for any help !

Chuck
Chuck,
As Don says, you need to find out just what you have. In all the coaches I've seen with either the Exhaust Brake or Jake Brake (Jacobs engine brake), not one of them has had a "Pedal" to operate them. Most of the time, an additional pedal is normally a "Retarder" pedal. That is, in some of the much older fire trucks I drove years and years ago, that pedal was a control for the transmission retarders we had way back then.

Now, I'm not familiar with each and every coach, engine, trans, combination there of but, about 99.99% of them that sport either of those brakes, have switches on the dash or, side arm panel etc., that control the operation. And, also as has been stated, many of the engine brake equipped coaches, will have variable stages of control.

They may say: 1, 2 or 3 in toggle positions or, possibly "Hi-Low". It depends on how the chassis/engine was setup. Only certain sized engines in both CAT and Cummins (oh, and Detroit too) can be equipped with Jake or, Engine Brakes.

But, most of the rest are sporting Exhaust brakes.

Now, as for the use of it, that's been discussed only a few zillion times on here. The effectiveness of those are pretty darn good considering they're just a valve that shuts down the flow of exhaust, out the tail pipe. They work considerably well when used as designed. Each and every person/driver must determine for themselves and, their respective coaches just how and when to use them.

Of course they're a form of brakes so, yes, you'll use them going down hills etc. They're designed to operate in conjunction with the automatic trannies and, the engine and trans ECMs to control just how effective they are at any given rate of speed when applied. Some will keep the switch for them in the "on" position constantly, pretty much as I do. Some, only turn it on when they want to.

Cruise controls on some coaches will have an effect on how and when they work. Some E/brakes won't work at all with the Cruise on. All of this must be determined by YOU and YOUR COACH to determine what governs what, when things are asked for.

Some have actually had their transmissions re-programmed so the E/brake will not come on when the accelerator pedal is released like most do. They set it up so that only when the service brake pedal is touched, THEN the E/brake is applied. It's a matter of choice.

But, you'll need to judge for yourself on your coach, just when to use it and, at what speed and, in what kind of hills, grades, conditions etc. I will say this, the proper use of the either the exhaust brake or, Engine Brake will, without a doubt, suspend the replacement of brake shoes/pads quite extensively. Many on here are over the 100,000 mile mark on their coaches and, are no where near the need for replacement of brake shoes, due to proper use of those auxiliary brake systems. Good luck.
Scott
Me, Karla and the Heidi character, (mini Schnauzer)!
FIRE UP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2015, 04:32 PM   #7

Monaco Owners Club
Holiday Rambler Owners Club
There are lots of coaches with exhaust brake pedals. (Yes, I know the difference and I'm NOT talking about an engine (compression) brake or transmission retarder.)

There are lots of variations. Some will automatically apply the exhaust brake when you completely lift off the accelerator, some will only apply the exhaust brake when you press the service brake pedal, and some will apply when you press a special exhaust brake switch pedal. Most have control switches by the driver to enable/disable them.
Home base near Buffalo NY, often on the road to a dog show
ShapeShifter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2015, 05:33 PM   #8

I purchased a bottle of that PacBrake lube also. My rv is in the back yard and I'm always fooling around with something. I probably have lubed mine four times in the year I have owned it.
mike brez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2015, 05:54 PM   #9

Ok I'am in the dark on this one just what kind of lube does one use on a piece of metal that reaches 1200 degrees ? Seams like someone is selling a new kind of snake oil 😎🌴
mccrob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2015, 06:08 PM   #10

Newmar Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by mccrob View Post
Ok I'am in the dark on this one just what kind of lube does one use on a piece of metal that reaches 1200 degrees ? Seams like someone is selling a new kind of snake oil ����
This.........works well

Some say this also works very well, read the reviews at the bottom of the page http://www.homedepot.com/p/Super-Lub...1004/202932719
Old 06-16-2015, 06:23 PM   #11

Monaco Owners Club
Thanks for all the replies and info ! I just looked at the wiring diagram book. I have a 'engine brake foot switch pedal '. It is wired to the transmission. That being what i described in my OP. No...i don't have any exhaust or engine brake switches on my drivers side control panel. The owners manual didn't give any operation instructions. Might post this in the Cummins and Allison forums ?

Chuck
Chuck and Robbin Harrison....plus 1 PB, a G Pyrenees and 1 Jack Russell. Zenie, Smokie and Buddy ! 1998 38' Monaco Dynasty Duke with a 8.3 Cummins. Everyday truck is a 2010 F150 XLT 4x4 and 2016 Ford Escape.
Migkiller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2015, 08:40 PM   #12

Outdoors RV Owners Club
Joe,
During the first couple of years of our coach ownership, I did not look after lubing the Pac Brake. Bad mistake. It ended up seized as tight as can be. I had to remove it from the coach, disassemble it and actually bought a replacement used one to affect the final assembly.

Now I lube the Pac Brake any time the coach has sat a little while before we head out on the road again. I make sure that the main shaft is totally free and I can move the shaft freely by hand.

REGARDING PAC BRAKE LUBE:

Because of the extreme heat, the lube cannot have a petroleum base.
Pac Brake sells its own proprietary brand.
Super Lube used to be Pac Brake's proprietary brand and is available at many auto stores.
Tri Flow is another choice, available at Orchard Hardware, Ace Hardware, and other hardware stores. I have been using it for several years only because I find it to be so readily available at a variety of hardware stores.

Jim
Papa_Jim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2015, 08:51 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShapeShifter View Post
There are lots of coaches with exhaust brake pedals. (Yes, I know the difference and I'm NOT talking about an engine (compression) brake or transmission retarder.)

There are lots of variations. Some will automatically apply the exhaust brake when you completely lift off the accelerator, some will only apply the exhaust brake when you press the service brake pedal, and some will apply when you press a special exhaust brake switch pedal. Most have control switches by the driver to enable/disable them.
Well,
I most certainly don't want to hijack the OPs topic or thread but, in all my years of RVing, diesel operations, that I've ever heard of an "Exhaust Brake Pedal". I'm not saying it can't exist. All I'm saying is, no one has ever mentioned on here or, any other RV forum about having an exhaust brake pedal. They've only talked about the switch on the dash or, side arm rest and, about when they wanted it to engage. Hmmmm. New one on me, that's for sure.
Scott
Me, Karla and the Heidi character, (mini Schnauzer)!
FIRE UP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2015, 09:10 PM   #14

Location: Where ever we park but currently in Nine Mile Falls, WA
You guys got me interested in this topic so I thought I'd check out my manual and get the low down. This is what my manual says to do "To help prevent exhaust brake freeze-up at, caused by periods of non-use, it is recommended to use silicone spray at the points shown (diagram). Apply liberal amounts of silicone spray to the moving joints whenever the motorhome is parked for storage".
trabuco is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
brake, cat