Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 06-10-2013, 11:41 AM   #1

do you need a CDL to be driving these class A RVs

hi there

i am a newbie looking to get a class a diesel pusher soon. some one asked me if i had my CDL. as far as i know from the research i have done i dont need one.

can any one provide some info.

i will be on the road for 10-11 months in 40+ states. my home base is PA.

thanks for the help.
sam
illusionist is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-10-2013, 11:42 AM   #2

Country Coach Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
CDL (Commercial Drivers License) is not required for an RV. Some states do require a higher class license though. Here in WA nothing more than your standard license is required.
Mr_D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2013, 11:57 AM   #3

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
From the PennDOT site

PennDOT Driver and Vehicle Services - Classes of Licenses

Yes, you will need either a Class B or Class A (based on weight) non-CDL.
Sky_Boss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2013, 12:02 PM   #4

thanks Mr D that is what i thought.

maybe you will know the answer to this as well. i am planning to get a diesel pusher (approx 40' long) with a 12 foot trailer. do i need to stop in at weigh stations.

again i dont think so from what i read but just checking to make sure i got all my facts in order.

thanks again

sam
illusionist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2013, 12:10 PM   #5

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Nope, no scales required HOWEVER...

There are some situations where you MIGHT require a CDL. I'm not all that versed on the whole ins and outs of this but if you are using your MH for commercial purposes, you might require a CDL.

I'm not sure how that plays with using weight scales but they could be inter-related.
Sky_Boss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2013, 12:12 PM   #6
Moderator Emeritus

Hi and welcome to the forum.

Mr D nailed it but check out the link Skyboss listed. Just as I had to do in Texas, it looks like your state requires a special endorsement to drive larger RVs... but it's not a CDL. A few minutes studying the book and some practice behind the wheel and you'll be fine.

You can do a search of the forum on this topic and find a lot of reading material on it. IMHO, the bottom line is that... I can't recall anyone ever reporting that the lack of the "proper" license caused them a real problem... but, many of us do it to avoid any possible problem in case of an accident. It would be bad to have an at fault accident and have it learned that you were not actually qualified to drive the coach.

Best of luck.

Rick

2007 Itasca Ellipse 40FD
RickO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2013, 12:18 PM   #7
Community Administrator

Pond Piggies Club
LA Gulf Coast Campers
Outdoors RV Owners Club
Entegra Owners Club
Skyline Owners Group
Sam,

Since you live in PA, you will need to follow the PennDOT requirements that Don linked you to. But you don't have to stop at weigh stations. Those are for commercial vehicles.

Lori-
NLOVNIT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2013, 12:30 PM   #8
HHg

If in Texas, you only need the Class B license if your unit weighs 26,001 or more. If less, then your regular DL is fine.

Hhg
HHg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2013, 12:39 PM   #9

Look at the back of your drivers license and you'll see the 26,001 notation. From what you say you want to buy, you'll need to get the Class B license in PA.
User1011 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2013, 05:47 PM   #10
Moderator Emeritus

Ford Super Duty Owner
If you are using your motorhome for commercial purposes, like hauling goods from show to show and working with a product, you MIGHT be required to have a CDL. Most states note the RV is to be used for "Personal" use.

Ken
Amateur Radio Operator (KE5DFR)|No Longer Full-Time! - 2023 Cougar 22MLS toted by 2022 F150, 3.5L EcoBoost Tow Max FX4 Lariat Travel with one Standard Schnauzer and one small Timneh African Gray Parrot, retired mechanical engineer
TXiceman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2013, 06:12 PM   #11

Just because a Washington State resident doesn't need a special license to drive a diesel pusher, you have to comply with whatever the state requires in which you are a resident. You can then operate your motorhome in any state regardless of what they require of their residents.

So, yes, in PA, you have to acquire a Class B NON-commercial drivers' license as most (not all, but most diesel pushers have a GVWR of more than 26,000 lbs. ...not what the vehicle weighs as you have it loaded but what it is RATED for or its GVWR). The manufacturer will designate the motorhome's GVWR.

I'm not sure what kind of testing is done in PA but we have drivers' licenses out of Nevada and we also need a non-commercial Class B and the Nevada gives the exact same test (both written and road tests) to non-commercial applicants as they do to CDL applicants. The only difference is that a CDL holder must hold a valid DOT medical card and non-commercial drivers do not.

-harry
amanda_h is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2013, 09:58 PM   #12
RV Mutant #14

Winnebago Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Freightliner Owners Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
It really doesn't matter what any state requirements are other than PA for Sam. Everything else is ambiguous to say the least, and does not answer his question. All states have reciprocal agreements regarding driver's licenses.

Sam, check the link given above.

Happy trails.
It is what it is, and then it is what you make of it.
Wayne M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2013, 10:08 PM   #13

Country Coach Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by amanda_h View Post
Just because a Washington State resident doesn't need a special license to drive a diesel pusher, you have to comply with whatever the state requires in which you are a resident. You can then operate your motorhome in any state regardless of what they require of their residents.
Which is what I said:
Quote:
Some states do require a higher class license though.
Mr_D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2013, 11:02 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr_D View Post
Which is what I said:
I didn't mean that you stated anything in error. It sounded to me that the OP may have misinterpreted what you said and thought that perhaps he didn't think he needed any upgraded license.

My apologies for posting in this thread. I believe it was myself who misinterpreted how the OP responded. It was too late to delete my post, however.

-harry
amanda_h is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
rvs