Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 03-09-2016, 02:21 PM   #29

Quote:
Originally Posted by WyoFree View Post
I've read a lot about the importance of having good records when you go to sell your motorhome. Maybe a stupid question, but how can you show good records if you perform your own maintenance including oil changes etc?
Keep your receipts and keep a log book.
Scatterbrain is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-09-2016, 03:35 PM   #30

Monaco Owners Club
You've got a lot of good info and sources here. I generally buy my generator parts & filters from Amazon. For the coach engine, here's where I get my Cat filters:
Heavy Duty Truck Parts | Class 8 Truck Parts | Volvo, Truck-Lite

Reasonable prices and quick shipping.
gfs1943 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2016, 06:42 AM   #31
Moderator Emeritus

Monaco Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by rag_ftw View Post
Dennis try these guys the next time you are in Dallas. I bought a torque multiplier from them for $40. Yes it is made in China and yes it is cast and not steel! That being said it managed to loosen and retighten all my lug nuts, which was something I couldn't do with a two stage impact!

https://www.google.com/search?sclien...12.0i-6w11ga_Q
I'll look at that Robert, thanks
Old 03-10-2016, 06:44 AM   #32
Moderator Emeritus

Monaco Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by WyoFree View Post
I've read a lot about the importance of having good records when you go to sell your motorhome. Maybe a stupid question, but how can you show good records if you perform your own maintenance including oil changes etc?
I keep a log book and receipts for parts.

The PO had ten years worth of receipts, but didn't want to give them to me. he made a list of all the service and I put it n the log book so it's all documented.
Old 03-16-2016, 06:14 PM   #33

I've always done my own maintenance on my Diesel pickup truck, and I've always ran Full Synthetic, and we'll soon be buying our first preowned MH, and I'm wondering if many of you run synthetic oil? I personally use an 'extended' drain period when using full synthetic, where I just change the filter at 5K, and then drain and new filter next at the 10K mark.

I've always keeped records of all my maintenance, and will do the same when we get a MH of course. I may need a larger 'pan' for the gathering oil...there again, on my pickup, I have a Fumoto shut off drain, so I can drain out as much as I wish, shut off the drain...go and dump, come back and drain some more! Works great on my pickup, and so simple in not needing any tools under the truck, unless I do my fuel filters while under there! My oil filter is up on top, so a ratchet and socket makes the job easy.

So, are there many of you using a Full Synthetic oil, or is the usual 'Dino' oil your choice?

Thanks.
Old 03-16-2016, 07:18 PM   #34

I will be new to this stuff soon (hopefully, if someone would sell me the right DP), but I've done a lot of research on motor oil. From Bob The Oil Guy, to conversations with Blackstone, to the forums. Unless otherwise instructed by someone on this forum, I'll be using Shell Rotella T-6 synthetic. The studies and tests are A++. And I run it in my offroad vehicle. Did an oil analysis and it was spot on.
B Dubya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2016, 10:27 PM   #35

Vintage RV Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Dino.... It's taken twenty years to get 150000 on my motor so I figure another twenty for the next 150000... Seeing as I've got a 500000 before inframe engine I think I'm good
dmurdock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2016, 05:49 AM   #36

Newmar Owners Club
Most people change the oil in their DP's based on time (1 Yr) and not mileage. No way am I going to buy 11 gallons of synthetic, for 5-6K mi of use. Rotella T and Delo 400 have both been proven oils for many years for diesel engines in OTR trucks and commercial equipment. Your just throwing good money into the recycle bin.
2022 F350 DRW King Ranch 4 x 4
Scottybdivin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2016, 09:01 AM   #37

Winnebago Owners Club
Coastal Campers
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scottybdivin View Post
Most people change the oil in their DP's based on time (1 Yr) and not mileage. No way am I going to buy 11 gallons of synthetic, for 5-6K mi of use. Rotella T and Delo 400 have both been proven oils for many years for diesel engines in OTR trucks and commercial equipment. Your just throwing good money into the recycle bin.
That's us. Never even come close to the recommended change miles wise so I just change it yearly with Rotella and a new Fleetguard filter.
HD4Mark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2016, 09:25 AM   #38

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scottybdivin View Post
I am in the same camp on the oil change interval.

There is no better diesel oil than Shell Rottella 15W-40W.
vapor3000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2016, 10:18 AM   #39

Vintage RV Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
I will say to echo my previous statement that DINO is the way to go for the engine (unless you are constantly travelling) and I'm on the once a year schedule.

However...

I am looking into synthetic for the generator as it's recommended change interval is every 100 hrs and that usually puts me into two changes/yr and I'd like to be able to stretch it to once a year also. (I usually put about 120/130 hrs a year on it but I always change it when I do the engine so I do one change around 100hrs and next change at 20/30 hrs).
dmurdock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2016, 01:16 PM   #40

Straight to manufacture is the ONLY way to go. They all have outlets in every major town. After all they built the equipment and know what it needs to be happy lol.
Oldone1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2016, 11:54 AM   #41

Newmar Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by dmurdock View Post
I will say to echo my previous statement that DINO is the way to go for the engine (unless you are constantly travelling) and I'm on the once a year schedule.

However...

I am looking into synthetic for the generator as it's recommended change interval is every 100 hrs and that usually puts me into two changes/yr and I'd like to be able to stretch it to once a year also. (I usually put about 120/130 hrs a year on it but I always change it when I do the engine so I do one change around 100hrs and next change at 20/30 hrs).
Every 100 hrs sounds like a lot. My manual for my 10K Onan says 250 hrs or every year. Noted exceptions are extreme dust or heat.
2022 F350 DRW King Ranch 4 x 4
Scottybdivin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2016, 02:24 PM   #42

I often wonder if it depends on where you spend most of your time, in that if you haven't put on the miles, 'why' a year? In drier climates, there is little to no condensation to be problematic, so if you haven't put on the miles, your oil should still be clean? I'm sure BIG OIL loves to hear that we change long before we get the miles on the oil...but is it truly necessary?

I'm not sure if a 'diesel' is a 'diesel' meaning, the diesels in our pickup trucks, often get used more obviously, but when it comes down to the oil used in them, the forums I have perused, have the mentality that a full synthetic is just generally better, with it's ability to be used as an 'extended' fill...or basically one can go much longer before an oil change is needed.

In saying this, in my last truck (7.3 Diesel) I was changing my regular oil at normal intervals, and I was also doing an 'Oil Analysis' after each change. Often, oil analysis can tell you if you can continue using the same oil, or if the impurities are too great, and you need to change.
I did the same when I switched over to a Fully Amsoil synthetic in the above mentioned Diesel engine. I found while continuing to do my oil analysis, even after doubling (15,000 kilometres) my oil analysis (with a full explanation of the impurities) continued to tell me I could still run with the same oil! Now, I will add that at the half way point (approx. 7500 km's) I also change 'just' the oil filter to a new Fleetguard filter.
Often, it will depend on my driving, although I rarely drive in 'dusty' conditions, but of course there can be pollen and other contaminants in the air everywhere, but oil analysis can usually catch any impurities if using a good lab. There is all kinds of information on whether it's better to use Synthetic or conventional oil, and for those that wish to do their own research on the topic, you can of course make your own decisions. To date, I've never had an oil related issue, and I chalk it up to paying the extra $$ to have an oil analysis (usually Finning does mine here in Canada) who then tell me it's time for a change, or go another 7500 km's and we'll check it again then!

Here is a link on the topic if anyone is interested Diesel Engine Oil & Filters - Engine Builder Magazine where you'll read "Stretching the oil change intervals to reduce costs is fine provided a high-quality oil (such as a synthetic blend or full synthetic) is used along with OEM quality oil filtration." - where I would add for even more protection, adding oil analysis to that let's one sleep better at night.

On edit - for the first couple of years, we'll quite possibly be putting on a fair amount of miles, compared to most, which is another reason that the conversation on 'oil' is an important one for me. I realize many go to one spot, and stay there for a good portion of their time away, but being new to this lifestyle, we have many places we want to see in the first few years.

Tags
maintenance