Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2
Old 07-14-2015, 06:55 AM   #15
Winnebago Owners Club
We roll ours in every night. I watch a weather APP during the day and will pull the awning shade off if the APP shows there is a front moving in and will leave the awning out until wind starts increasing but always roll in at night.

Robin, Carolyn and Maggie the Schnauzer - 2015 Winnebago 30T, towing 2002 Jeep TJ
RLBCCB is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-14-2015, 07:02 AM   #16
Community Moderator

Newmar Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
When we had manual awnings I'd roll them up every night. Even if not predicted that freak storm can and will pop up now and then. Now with the electric awning, with wind sensor (which has so far worked well) I'll keep an eye out for the forecast and I'll still pull it in if there is any weather predicted, relying on the sensor to retract it if that freak storm does pops up.

Jay & Peggy Monroe with Dolly
Can't take it with you - don't plan on leaving any behind
2016 Newmar London Aire 4553, Spartan chassis
Wrangler Unlimited toad
JMonroe is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2015, 07:06 AM   #17
Like many here, I watch the weather, but I also pull the awning in at night and anytime we are away from the MH. We do a fair amount of boon docking and that is the last thing I need, to for the awning to get messed up.
2009 38' Diplomat
CSM- retired, wife as co-pilot
Reka & Ali providing security (our 2 labs)
R2Home is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2015, 07:10 AM   #18
Fleetwood Owners Club
Manual awning and I leave it out tied down 24/7 for 7 months in FL.
In the last 13 years they have been 2 times it was rolled up.
Both time was for hurricane warnings.

I don't know how many times it has stood gust at 40 or over.
99 Discovery 34Q ISB
2014 MKS AWD EcoBoost Toad
Fulltime Since "99"
Triker56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2015, 07:21 AM   #19
We seldom use our awning, but never leave it out overnight. When we had a manual awning (which I actually prefer due to ease of dipping one end to allow rain run-off) I learned it was easier to put it back up when going inside for the night, than running around like mad in my pj's rolling it up in the wind and rain. Only took a few times getting wet to learn. Many folks use all sorts of items to "tie down" their awnings when in fact the only thing they are tying down is the arms. The strength of the fabric remains constant and tying down the arms doesn't change the fabric. Its just a question of luck as to when a storm or freak wind takes away a tied down awning. I have seen a tiny whirlwind come ashore at the Gulf of Mexico, cross into a campground and take one awning over the top of a coach and never touch anything else. Just luck. So, are you feeling lucky? Does your insurance cover an awning blown over by the wind?
Frank W. '09 Cayman 38 SBD '08 CRV
Lake City, Florida
flynnwalter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2015, 07:22 AM   #20
Monaco Owners Club
Mine's manual. Wish I had an electric. I roll it up every night. Sometimes during the day, too.
Jim and Jennie, Cats=Bittles and Potter, 2000 Dynasty 350 ISC
2013 Silverado 4x4 Towed with R1200GS in bed.
PROV23:4 Do not wear yourself out to get rich; have the wisdom to show restraint.
Coma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2015, 07:40 AM   #21
I got tired of waking up at 1am due to gusts and hearing the awning flapping around so I now roll up the awning every night, regardless of the weather forecast for the night. It takes all of 2 minutes and I don't have to stress about it. Those awnings are expensive and just not worth it.
'74 F350 44K,'79 11' Mitchell Camper, MINT All Original
'79 Mitchell 25' Class C, 460 46K, MINT All Original
'97 Rexhall Aerbus, 60K, 460, F53, MINT All Original
Inthe70s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2015, 07:51 AM   #22
Monaco Owners Club
We have a One Touch by Carefree of Colorado, it is an electric. The arms on the awning are not very strong, we found this the hard way.

We were parked and I was in the RV sitting at kitchen table and all of a sudden a strong wind picked up and the awning billowed bending one of the arms. It took me several hours with heavy C clamps and blocks of wood to straighten it enough to pull in with someone pushing and get it home and then several more hours with heavy blocking, larger clamps to get it straight enough to work without dragging.

Now our policy is that the awning is only out on nice days with someone around to quickly pull it in if the winds starts to pick up. We would never think about leaving it out unattended during the day or at night.

Since this model is discontinued and Carefree doesn't even sell parts anymore (lesson learned on what manufacturer to buy from) we have to be careful not to damage to where it can't be used.
Jim J
2002 Monaco Windsor 38 PKD
2005 Jeep Grand Cherokee w/5.7 Hemi
jacwjames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2015, 07:55 AM   #23

Monaco Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
A&E 9000 manual. In Ohio we leave it out for summer. We are parked facing north and have the roller staked to ground.
40 FT--330HP CAT
2 SLIDES-TOAD 2012 focus
Fulltime-Home is where we park it.
Davdeb1 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2015, 08:08 AM   #24
National RV Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Carolina Campers
Depends, if I am in a site for more than a couple of days, mine is tied down and the angle from top of coach does not allow for rain to build up in it, so leave it open whole visit. If a quick overnight or weekend visit and not tied down, I decide based on weather forecast....though I have been out in the middle of the night a few times rolling it up!

Lost one in Myrtle Beach one night several years back on TT, was due to water build up in it since rain was unexpected and I did not tilt end down like I normally would, collapsed at about 3AM, roller broke but no damage to coach, and made a heck of a racket! Thank goodness for insurance!! Saw one this past weekend flipped over trailer roof by high wind during a sudden storm with high winds on an unattended trailer, not a pretty sight. I was not there when it happened, but I have rolled up many in my time on unattended trailers camped at the beach, always grateful owners!!
Tom and Patty
The "Rode Crew"
2004 National RV, Seabreeze 1341, F-53 22K, Chevy Malibu toad.
trode is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2015, 08:08 AM   #25
I'm not sure what brand and model awning we have, but like others we watch the WX for indications of winds during our trips.

If high winds are forecasted I pull it in at night, it's electric and has the wind sensor. The wind sensor has worked for us when we got caught off guard a few times.

Our awning is very strong and we also keep it out during rain showers unless of course high winds.

As far as water building up on top of it, I found out accidentally that it dumps itself automatically.
Dan & Loretta, US Army Retired Aero Scout Pilot
2012 Fleetwood Providence 42P Class A/DP
Spartan Chassis, 8.9L Cummins 450HP
Dtwallace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2015, 08:22 AM   #26
I had the 'live and learn' experience 2 years ago in Maine. A beautiful, cloudless day, nothing in the way of precipitation forecast. We went to the beach about 10 miles up the road and it stayed beautiful the entire time we were at the beach. Unfortunately an $1800 insurance check later we had a new awning as there must have been one cloud very pregnant with water that passed over the CG. Even though the awning was tied down and one end dipped way down, it still ballooned and filled with many gallons of water (21' awning). I went to empty it by slowly pushing up the fabric and the roller broke. You have no idea how cold that shower was that afternoon!!!!!!!!

I now pull the awning on our new 5er (the new one is a power unit) in at night and when we will be away from the CG for more then a few minutes. Yes, insurance will pay the repairs (at least for ours) but it for sure is inconvenient time wise to find someone reputable to do the repairs when you would prefer to be on the road.
Dave W along with my DW, Susan and our poodlepups, Callie & Molly,2011 Ford F250 6.7 CCLB, 5er Hitch Option w/B&W Hitch,,Ride Rite air bags, 2014 Montana High Country 343RL (38')
IC2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2015, 08:36 AM   #27
Originally Posted by Cbones View Post
I would never rely on a wind sensor. A strong damaging gust can come along long before that sensor has a chance to react. Simple to just push the little button and bring the awning in. I never go to sleep or leave the coach with the awning out. It's just not worth the chance. My awning runs the full length of the full wall slide, so it easily becomes a huge sail when the breeze picks up a little.
Amen to that! Gust can come up so quickly that the sensor doesn't have time to fully retract the awning. Also, the sensor can fail. It is nice to have but ours come in at night and when we leave.
2014 Tiffin Phaeton 42 LH
Full timers
Selah2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2015, 09:53 AM   #28
We always pull our awning in when we are away from the rig and overnight. You never know when a sudden wind or storm will come up.

Sue and Tom

2015 Winnebago Vista 36Y
Sue46 is offline   Reply With Quote