Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 10-23-2013, 05:33 PM   #15

Let it sleep. If you start it, you should drive it, as starting and running with no load, can actually be harmful to the engine. Call CAT or Cummins, and ask them yourself.

I had a diesel powered boat with twin Cummins 250's, that had not been started in 2 years. When I turned the key, the engines started righ up, as if they were just run the day before. I burned all 240 gallons of that 2+ year old diesel fuel, without so much as a hiccup.

Indian River, De
CaptBill is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-23-2013, 05:59 PM   #16

Fleetwood Owners Club
Tiffin wants you to trade in early for a new one.
They don't make any engines or generators that go into their MH's.
Better to ask the manufacture of those on how to store for a long period.

Start and run a engine & generator for 20 minutes in 10-20 temps and then shut them off. Will do more damage then good.

I let mine set for almost 7 months without starting the engine. I do run the generator for a hour with a load every 30-40 days. Been doing that for 11 years now.

Triker56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2013, 06:22 PM   #17

A diesel engine is made to run not sit but I guess there has been some luck I like to start and run at least one time a month for a couple hours always full of fuel to keep moisture at bay . But I keep mine in heated building never winterize just my 2 cents
greg-1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2013, 06:28 PM   #18

Tiffin Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Triker56 View Post
Tiffin wants you to trade in early for a new one.
They don't make any engines or generators that go into their MH's.
Better to ask the manufacture of those on how to store for a long period.

Start and run a engine & generator for 20 minutes in 10-20 temps and then shut them off. Will do more damage then good.

I let mine set for almost 7 months without starting the engine. I do run the generator for a hour with a load every 30-40 days. Been doing that for 11 years now.
So you are saying that tiffin would give you bad advice strictly so you would have to trade your motor home in on a new one early. I am sure that if tiffins have early engine failures the bad publicity from that would outweigh any advantage by giving you bad advice on starting. I am glad you have not had any problems with your method of doing things after 11 years. Could you point to some examples of people that have followed the tiffins recommendation. I personally would not let any engine set for 7 months without starting. I think it would be bad for the rings, bad for the seals around the valves. Bad for the crankshaft. Bad for the seals on the water pump, Basically any seal that is made to keep in a liquid and has a potential to become dry and fail. Rings, Crank bearings, etc are all made to have oil around them. Sitting for 7 months with any cylinder that has the intake valve open when you shut it down has a potential for moist air to get in that cylinder and rust the rings in place. Starting it every 3 weeks gets oil back to the cylinders and the bearings and seals.

Actually now that I think of it. What harm do you actually get from only running an engine for 20 minutes. I know that there is the supposition that you do not burn the moisture out of the oil if you only run it for a short period but exactly what damage do you get by running it 20 minutes.
Old 10-23-2013, 06:45 PM   #19

I have several stationary diesel pumps. (10 or so) I only run them in my job in April & October. For the most part they are not used the other 10 months of the year. When we get done with our spring work all pumps and equipment are filled with fuel & parked in barn till our fall work comes around. In the fall before we go to work we change the oil start them & go to work. Same thing in the spring. The reason for the full fuel tanks is to help on any condensation getting into tanks. Been doing it this way since 1982. So I say park the RV with full fuel tank for as long as u want & don't start in between.
Old 10-24-2013, 09:42 AM   #20

Fleetwood Owners Club
American Coach Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by gemini5362 View Post
Not unanimous. I believe it should be started on a regular basis. Tiffin on their tech tips website recommends you start the engine and the generator every three weeks and run them for at least twenty minutes
That's okay for a gasser (maybe that's what they are talking about)...not a diesel.
Cat320 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2013, 10:02 AM   #21
Moderator Emeritus

Texas Boomers Club
Starting a diesel engine when it will not have ALL the fluids brought up to normal operating temperature results in fuel dilution and contamination of the lube oil with weak acid by-products of combustion as well as water, not to mention a needless thermal cycling of the components. The best thing to do is to leave it alone.

On the large industrial diesels our company manufactures, we provide pre-lube/post-lube systems that will lubricate the oil-wetted surfaces without starting the engine. If an operator wishes, he can pre-lube the engine and then roll it on starting air (with the fuel shut off) during storage, but this isn't a requirement.

Rusty

2014.5 DRV Mobile Suites 38RSSA #6972
Come join us on a TEXAS BOOMERS rally!
RustyJC is offline   Reply With Quote