Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 04-29-2018, 04:31 PM   #1

Winnebago Owners Club
Coastal Campers
Do you think we need new coach batteries?

Ok here's the problem. We've had a ton of problems with the steps on our 2013 Sunstar, but the mobile rv tech finally got it straightened out ... or so we thought. We haven't used the rv since December but we go out and start it every other week and run it etc. Today the steps came out like they are supposed to but then the wind blew the door shut and the steps "shuddered" to a crawl when they came in. When we opened the door again, they didn't budge, although we could hear the motor running. When we left and I tried to turn off the coach batteries, the light stayed on like they wouldn't shut off. Since I'm pretty sure they are probably the original batteries, I was wondering if that could be the problem? If so, we can just buy new ones and install them. We had to replace the chassis battery a few months ago ... that's why I suspect the coach batteries.
Starfire5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-29-2018, 04:36 PM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Starfire5 View Post
Ok here's the problem. We've had a ton of problems with the steps on our 2013 Sunstar, but the mobile rv tech finally got it straightened out ... or so we thought. We haven't used the rv since December but we go out and start it every other week and run it etc. Today the steps came out like they are supposed to but then the wind blew the door shut and the steps "shuddered" to a crawl when they came in. When we opened the door again, they didn't budge, although we could hear the motor running. When we left and I tried to turn off the coach batteries, the light stayed on like they wouldn't shut off. Since I'm pretty sure they are probably the original batteries, I was wondering if that could be the problem? If so, we can just buy new ones and install them. We had to replace the chassis battery a few months ago ... that's why I suspect the coach batteries.
Your best bet is an amp test on the batteries. From the door slamming it could be the magnet sensor out of alignment. If the batteries and magnet sensor is good, detach the cotter pin holding the steps to the motor and do a test by closing and opening the door. Sometimes depending on the motor model the gears are plastic and you can be grinding them dull. It's an easy fix by just moving the plastic gear to the back and let the motor run on fresh teeth.
mcarden75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2018, 04:37 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcarden75 View Post
Your best bet is an amp test on the batteries. From the door slamming it could be the magnet sensor out of alignment. If the batteries and magnet sensor is good, detach the cotter pin holding the steps to the motor and do a test by closing and opening the door. Sometimes depending on the motor model the gears are plastic and you can be grinding them dull. It's an easy fix by just moving the plastic gear to the back and let the motor run on fresh teeth.
One more thing.. Make sure the batteries are fully charged prior to the app test.
mcarden75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2018, 04:43 PM   #4

Quote:
99.99% of RV step problems begin because the mechanism is not lubricated on a regular basis. At least once or twice a year, give EVERY joint a squirt of a good spray lube. WD40 is NOT one of these.

https://www.amazon.ca/Boeshield-T-9-...OoL&ref=plSrch
Old 04-29-2018, 05:28 PM   #5

I believe your steps are wired to the chassis battery. Do the engine start ok? Do the steps work better with the engine running?

tderonne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2018, 05:29 PM   #6

From my experience electric steps have been a PIA,

I finally just disconnected the arm and drilled holes pinning the step up and down ...

Works for us..
wingnuts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2018, 06:42 PM   #7

You have a problem with your steps. Why would you think you need new batteries? That doesn’t make sense...
A Traveler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2018, 06:50 PM   #8

Winnebago Owners Club
Coastal Campers
Quote:
Originally Posted by A Traveler View Post
You have a problem with your steps. Why would you think you need new batteries? That doesn’t make sense...
Because we just had a brand new step motor and actuator installed, that's why.
Old 04-29-2018, 06:52 PM   #9

Winnebago Owners Club
Coastal Campers
That seriously sounds like a good idea at this point!
Old 04-29-2018, 06:57 PM   #10

Winnebago Owners Club
If the steps haven't been lubed recently that's where I'd start.
There several moving parts under there that you can't really see from beside the steps. So wiggle your way underneath and spray everything that looks like a pivot point under there. Be sure and NOT lay underneath the steps themselves, you don't want to be there if they suddenly come down.
Old 04-29-2018, 11:38 PM   #11

National RV Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Lube every pivot point of the steps. You can use WD-40 to free them up, follow it with a good lube.
1999 35 ft. Dolphin 5350, F53, Banks System, 5 Stars Tune, Air Lift Air Bags, Koni Shocks, Blue OX TruCenter, TigerTrak track bars F&R, Roadmaster 1-3/4" rear auxiliary sway bar, 2004 F450 Lariat Pickup 6.0 Diesel Crew Cab DRW, 4X4, GVWR 15,000, Front GAWR 6,000, Rear GAWR 11,000, GCWR 26,000,1994 36ft Avion 5er, GVWR 13,700, 2,740 Pin Weight.
chboone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2018, 07:03 AM   #12

Winnebago Owners Club
Coastal Campers
Quote:
Originally Posted by tderonne View Post
I believe your steps are wired to the chassis battery. Do the engine start ok? Do the steps work better with the engine running?
Yep engine starts right up. That battery was just replaced a couple months ago. Steps do not work with engine running.
Old 04-30-2018, 07:58 AM   #13

Quote:
Yep engine starts right up. That battery was just replaced a couple months ago. Steps do not work with engine running.
Then it is safe to say it is not a battery problem. I can not imagine steps not working at all simply because they need some lubrication so I believe you have another problem with the motor or a short somewhere in the step system.
Old 04-30-2018, 08:06 AM   #14

Entegra Owners Club
Do you have a multimeter to put on the house batteries to see what voltage they are at? Do the lights inside the RV work?

1300W Solar, 1200AH LiFePO4 FMCA F443497
757driver is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
batteries