Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 10-01-2013, 03:14 AM   #15

We use Howes Diesel Treat year round in the semi trucks. It is a anti gel for winter and it lubricates year round. One half gallon treats 500 gallons in mild weather and 250 gallons for cold weather. Sold about everywhere. Their motto is "if you don't go, we pay the tow." Printed on every bottle. if you don't want to gel up in extremely cold weather, 0 to -60 below you need to run straight #1 or kerosine or even jet fuel. Additives won't cut it then. We run about a 50-50 #1 and #2 blend with Howes in the winter time. But we rarely see below zero.

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-01-2013, 03:24 AM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dunner View Post
I used to use Stanadyne. I didn't like that they filled the bottles with almost no air space. Whatever you used to open the foil seal stunk for days. Heaven help you if it got on your clothes and you had to drive with the stink until you could change.
That's the same with diesel fuel. Get some on you and you wear it all day. And left on your cloths is will burn your skin in time. Have taken a diesel bath many times and they are not much fun!

Old 10-01-2013, 11:23 AM   #17

Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wizard View Post
My question for the original poster is, what does Cat recommend ??
Just picked up our coach from a Cat service facility for an unrelated fuel pump problem and told them I was using Stanadyne faithfully. They said to keep using it or any other good additives out there. So I doubt Cat recommends any individual additive. Stanadyne does stink and if you get it on your hands you have to wash them...not just wipe them off. There have been some good advice on different additives here from people in the know....thanks. As for trusting the additive that refineries are adding to diesel.....if you want to trust your coach to that it's your pocket book.
Old 10-01-2013, 11:45 AM   #18

Fleetwood Owners Club
Opti-Lube summer blend does it for me. Low cost per gal treated.

It came in 4th in a Diesel additive test and Stanadyne came in 8th.
Triker56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2013, 12:02 PM   #19

Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Triker56 View Post
Opti-Lube summer blend does it for me. Low cost per gal treated.

It came in 4th in a Diesel additive test and Stanadyne came in 8th.
Thanks for the test and Opti-Lube site. Looks like they have a great product. I noticed, like Stanadyne, you have to buy it from a dealer and there are no dealers in Washington. There is one down in Lewiston, Idaho. If the price is right it might be worth the drive down there. What price are you paying?
Old 10-01-2013, 03:34 PM   #20

Fuel additives

Talking with my local Holiday Rambler dealer and he said he had been hearing some good reports about a product called "RevX" I believe. Check it out for yourself and if anyone has personal knowledge please post. I am currently also using Stanadyne in my Cummins ISL
Old 10-01-2013, 07:57 PM   #21

You might find this an interesting read

http://www.dieselplace.com/forum/76-...y-results.html
Old 10-02-2013, 06:33 AM   #22

Fleetwood Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by csrrsr View Post
Thanks for the test and Opti-Lube site. Looks like they have a great product. I noticed, like Stanadyne, you have to buy it from a dealer and there are no dealers in Washington. There is one down in Lewiston, Idaho. If the price is right it might be worth the drive down there. What price are you paying?
You can buy it right from the Opti-Lub site. Though shipping is a little high on a qt.
Available by the Quart, Gallon, 5-Gallon Pail and 55 Gallon Drum
Old 10-02-2013, 06:43 AM   #23

Newmar Owners Club
Send a message via Skype™ to Qwert66
Yes - we use this one
Still on the first of 2 gallons after 3 years.
AXI International | Diesel Fuel Solutions | AFC 705 Fuel Catalyst
Old 10-02-2013, 09:04 AM   #24

Additive tests

Does anyone have any "current" product tests? Those referenced are 10 years old. Have the tested products reformulated or are there any new products on the market? It does appear that engine manufactures have changed their stance on using additives. Time and technology have progressed, what's the latest on this subject.
Old 10-02-2013, 09:20 AM   #25

Quote:
Originally Posted by speedman42 View Post
what is the best anti gel additive to use.
5% kerosene, you will experience a bit lower fuel mileage though. After the fact, DIESEL 9?1?1 For Winter Emergencies: Winter Rescue Formula ? use to reliquefy gelled fuel and de-ice frozen fuel-filters. is indispensable. This seldom occurs these day, since all the "winter" states change to a winter-blend diesel fuel around October. The only people who have fuel gelling are the ones who buy fuel in the Southern states and drive to the Northern states without re-fueling, during "winter months".

Quote:
Originally Posted by cjkroodsma View Post
Does anyone have any "current" product tests? Those referenced are 10 years old. Have the tested products reformulated or are there any new products on the market? It does appear that engine manufactures have changed their stance on using additives. Time and technology have progressed, what's the latest on this subject.
I would think if the manufacturers listed in the ISO study were confident their product would rate significantly higher, they would be requesting, and helping to finance another ISO study/test. The ,in this case, top line is;"biodiesel is the best additive".

2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA 1SG, retired;PPA,Good Sam Life member,FMCA."We the people are the rightful masters of both the Congress and the Courts - not to overthrow the Constitution but to overthrow men who pervert the Constitution. "Abraham Lincoln"
Ray,IN is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
diesel