Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-30-2013, 01:35 PM   #1

Freightliner Owners Club
Do you use a Diesel Additive?

All our rigs are diesels and for the last 8 years I've always used Stanadyne after each fill-up (8 oz/30 gallons). I'm getting close to using up my last case of it and was wondering if there was something else out there that worked good but wasn't so darn expensive? The best price I've found is $150+ for a case of 6 half gallon containers. You can only buy it from dealers which are usually diesel repair centers. According to diesel mechanics it's the best lubricating/cleaning additive out there, but of course this is coming from a biased source. Just wondering?

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-30-2013, 01:49 PM   #2

We only use additive when the coach is going to sit for a while. I don't think I've ever seen a trucker adding any to their tanks at the truck stops and they're looking to get 500k+ miles on their engines . I would be interested to know what benefit you're getting from it.

Old 09-30-2013, 01:50 PM   #3

Look at

http://www.schaefferoil.com/mobile/

I'm using Soy Shield

Look at web site product info. TD product 139A

Bill
Old 09-30-2013, 05:12 PM   #4

Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by nforus View Post
We only use additive when the coach is going to sit for a while. I don't think I've ever seen a trucker adding any to their tanks at the truck stops and they're looking to get 500k+ miles on their engines . I would be interested to know what benefit you're getting from it.
If you can, call any diesel injector pump service center and ask them or any truck center. The most important system you have around your diesel engine is the fuel system. With the EPA implementing ultra low sulfur diesel fuel the lubricating ability of the fuel was decreased by quite a bit. Your injector pump has pistons just like your engine and those pistons depend on lubricity from the fuel. Additives do a couple dozen other services for the fuel, but my main concern is keeping the injector pump well lubricated. It's common for diesel engines to get 500K+ on them......but not their fuel injectors!
Old 09-30-2013, 06:08 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by csrrsr View Post
If you can, call any diesel injector pump service center and ask them or any truck center. The most important system you have around your diesel engine is the fuel system. With the EPA implementing ultra low sulfur diesel fuel the lubricating ability of the fuel was decreased by quite a bit. Your injector pump has pistons just like your engine and those pistons depend on lubricity from the fuel. Additives do a couple dozen other services for the fuel, but my main concern is keeping the injector pump well lubricated. It's common for diesel engines to get 500K+ on them......but not their fuel injectors!
Makes sense, and also probably explains why there are diesel additive displays front and center when you go in most auto parts stores now ( we get to go in them while we're on the road now because we need to buy DEF) Still not sure why I don't see the truckers adding anything at the truck stops. This subject might be a good post on one of the engine forums.
Old 09-30-2013, 06:37 PM   #6

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
My question for the original poster is, what does Cat recommend ??
Wizard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2013, 06:45 PM   #7

Cummins even came out of the closet and started selling lubricity enhancement products recently.

To the OP, I use OPTILUBE Summer Blend for my trusty old C8.3 engine.

She seems to like it.
Old 09-30-2013, 07:00 PM   #8

Monaco Owners Club
I have a Cummins ISC 350 and have used Diesel Kleen from Wal-Mart but not on a regular basis. One gallon treats my tank twice and I use maybe 4 gallons a year so eight treatments throughout the year. I think on every fill-up is overkill but to each their own. Wal-Mart has a sale every so often. That's when I stock up for the year.

DIESEL KLEEN® +Cetane Boost®: Max HP Formula ? use during non-winter months for the ultimate in performance.

77K on the engine. It's great for the Aqua-Hot and my Onan Generator too. I've been using it for the last 4 years since retiring and now spending more time on the road than having the parked and me working.

Dr4Film ----- Richard
Old 09-30-2013, 07:05 PM   #9

what is the best anti gel additive to use.
Old 09-30-2013, 07:10 PM   #10

With common rail diesels and ULSD for fuel, I use an additive with every fillup. ULSD lacks lubricity needed for the newer high pressure injection pumps. I use Stanadyne (GM recommended) or DK, either one works well. DK also has an anti-gelling winter additive.
road dogs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2013, 07:30 PM   #11

As an EX OO I'm very partial to using ANY 2-stroke oil. It's designed to be burned and is better than the rest of whatever is on the shelf for lubricity.
Xp3 is next into my tank if I've hit a jackpot due to it's cost. xplab.com San Diego
Tk7 is another product I use if I'm in North Dakota when it's well below Zero with #1 Diesel. (OK City, OK).
Gasoline when it's real cold 1/2 gal to 100 gallons diesel.
Also had fair success with Lucus Fuel Additive (it's a better cleaner than lubricant).
The issue with large displacement diesels is lower RPMs and needing to maintain clean upper cylinders.
Peanut oil is another option for added lubricity.
Diesels will burn about anything that will combust.
Then again, if you have a newer setup you will need to remember your converter.
pc
Old 09-30-2013, 07:43 PM   #12

Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by road dogs View Post
With common rail diesels and ULSD for fuel, I use an additive with every fillup. ULSD lacks lubricity needed for the newer high pressure injection pumps. I use Stanadyne (GM recommended) or DK, either one works well. DK also has an anti-gelling winter additive.
Not true! The refineries have added lubricity additives to the fuel to make up for the reduction in sulfur.
But if it makes you feel better and you like to spend the money then go ahead and add whatever you feel like.
In the winter I might add anti-gel but usually not as the winters are mild here.
Mr_D is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2013, 08:29 PM   #13

Mid Atlantic Campers
Forest River Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
I use this year round at every fill up.

http://fppf.com/index.php/products-b....product&id=10
ejm4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2013, 01:08 AM   #14

I used to use Stanadyne. I didn't like that they filled the bottles with almost no air space. Whatever you used to open the foil seal stunk for days. Heaven help you if it got on your clothes and you had to drive with the stink until you could change.

Dunner is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
diesel