Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-17-2013, 08:23 AM   #15

Newmar Owners Club
Tow-Car-Shield! It's a bit of a pain to put on... until you figure it out... but it protects the car from above the windshield to below the front air damn and both front fenders!!

http://www.themotorhomeguide.com/rev...ar_shield.html

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-17-2013, 02:47 PM   #16

Winnebago Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Mine has a rock solid rubber flap across the back. I'm thinking of taking it off and cutting it up to use behind the wheels. Less air restriction.

Old 07-17-2013, 02:54 PM   #17

This answers some questions.

Just standard mud flaps

http://davenola.blogspot.com/
CampDaven is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2013, 04:40 PM   #18
Senior Member/RVM #90

Monaco Owners Club
When we bought the MH last year the first thing I did was to install the solid-rubber UltraGuard flap at the back, and the Protect-A-Tow shield under the towbars. I feel this gives me the maximum possible protection.

Good luck, happy trails, and God bless!

2002 Monaco Windsor 40PBT, 2013 Honda CRV AWD
MSHappyCampers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2013, 05:09 PM   #19

Never used any protection in nine years of towing (approximately 36K miles) Would consider something for a trip to NWT or similar.

DIY Rear Panhard Rod
exrench is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2013, 06:55 AM   #20

Entegra Owners Club
I had a Protec-A-Tow and loved it. It is well made and well thought out, easy to use and very effective.

Unfortunately I cannot use it on my new coach because of the rear exhaust pipe which would burn it up. If you have a side exhaust I highly recommend it.

Now I amusing nothing but the factory mud flap and I can see signs of small road damage on my tow car. I am afraid to use a solid shield because they are said to bounce the stones onto the back of the coach. Easier to repaint the front of the car than the back of the coach.
Old 07-18-2013, 11:09 AM   #21

We also use the Guardian by Roadmaster. We bought it to use on or old motorhome when we went to Alaska. It's worked well over the years, but nothing I'm aware of will defend against rocks thrown by trucks passing in either direction. The only chip we have in the Jeep windshield was from a rock thrown by a gravel truck passing in the opposite direction
Old 07-18-2013, 01:21 PM   #22
Senior Member/RVM #90

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by MRUSA14 View Post
I had a Protec-A-Tow and loved it. It is well made and well thought out, easy to use and very effective.

Unfortunately I cannot use it on my new coach because of the rear exhaust pipe which would burn it up. If you have a side exhaust I highly recommend it.

Now I amusing nothing but the factory mud flap and I can see signs of small road damage on my tow car. I am afraid to use a solid shield because they are said to bounce the stones onto the back of the coach. Easier to repaint the front of the car than the back of the coach.

I disagree about the solid rubber flaps. I just don't think there is any way that a rock could be thrown against the rear of the coach. As the rock is thrown up the coach is moving forward! It would have to literally chase the coach! Just doesn't compute!

2002 Monaco Windsor 40PBT, 2013 Honda CRV AWD
MSHappyCampers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2013, 01:41 PM   #23

I have read all the comments here and still have one question. Has anyone actually sustained damage to their toad because they were not using a shield? Based on what I am reading here, everyone appears to be saying the large mud flaps work just fine and a shield is just overkill. Is that correct?
Old 07-18-2013, 01:56 PM   #24

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by MRUSA14 View Post

Mr USA, I also have a rear exhaust on my DS. As long as you can keep the P-A-T screen a few inches off the rear exhaust pipe, the fabric will be fine. The folks at PAT sent me pics of a standoff someone else had fabricated from SS rod (top pics), but it looked a little close to me so I fabricated my own (bottom pics) from aluminum flat stock. Not real pretty, but it works fine. If the pics don't come up, I'll send you a PM.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	pat1.JPG
Views:	58
Size:	115.1 KB
ID:	42568   Click image for larger version

Name:	pat2.JPG
Views:	63
Size:	108.4 KB
ID:	42569  

Attached Images

JFXG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2013, 02:23 PM   #25
Community Moderator

Thor Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by Iwillbeit View Post
I have read all the comments here and still have one question. Has anyone actually sustained damage to their toad because they were not using a shield? Based on what I am reading here, everyone appears to be saying the large mud flaps work just fine and a shield is just overkill. Is that correct?
Our previous toad was a Honda FIT. We had the bra installed at the dealer, but had no other protectors or mud flaps. One day I noticed that one of the fog lamps was smashed, presumably by a rock. The replacement part was $350! Turned out the fog light was integrated with the corner assembly of the front bumper and the whole thing had to be replaced. Of course, the bra does nothing to protect the lights. The Protect a Tow I installed when we traded the FIT for a CRV cost under $400. The math alone told me its worthwhile. We've towed the CRV less than 5,000 miles but zero dings of any kind so far. I can't speak for mudflaps since we've never used them.
Bruce Dickson 2013 Thor Challenger 37GT, 5 Star Tune, Safe-T-Plus Steering Control with Air Trim, Roadmaster front and rear Sway Bars, SuperSteer rear Track Bar, Crossfires, 2012 Honda CRV on Blue Ox Aventa LX tow bar. Full timers since Jan 2012.
bdickson is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2013, 03:42 PM   #26

Newmar Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Iwillbeit View Post
Yes Sir, that's why I purchased the Tow Car Shield for the new CRV. Our last CRV was towed behind a Beaver Patriot with a full width flap on the coach. We sustained two deep chips on the fenders and a scratched windshield where a stone was thrown up onto the windshield, got wedged under the wiper blade and then scratched the glass when the wipers were turned on. So, when we purchased the 2013 CRV it was a no brainer to buy a Tow Car Shield. Click on the link I provided in my first post and look how it protects the entire front of the car!!
Old 07-21-2013, 03:08 PM   #27

Entegra Owners Club
I was referring to a tow shield such as this one, which I have read can bounce the stones back so that they hit the rear of your coach.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MSHappyCampers View Post
I disagree about the solid rubber flaps. I just don't think there is any way that a rock could be thrown against the rear of the coach. As the rock is thrown up the coach is moving forward! It would have to literally chase the coach! Just doesn't compute!
Old 08-03-2013, 12:02 PM   #28
Commercial Member

The first line of defense would be the mud flaps in your fender well. That is where the rocks first start. They need to be wide enough and long enough. We usually install them to be 1" further on the outside and 1" further on the inside than the tires. Than we make them as long as possible without hitting the ground when you let all the air out of your bags. Ultimately you want them to be no closer than 4" to the ground, and no higher than 6" off the ground when traveling to really do the job.
The mud flap on the back simply gives that little bit more protection. Just make sure that mud flap is no closer than 4" to the ground. If it is too close, it can actually create a vortex and throw loose rocks at your toad.
The various toad screens are also that much more protection, and they also protect your toad form the rocks being thrown by other vehicles as they go by you. It also is determined by how many steps you want to take in connecting and disconnecting your toad.
You asked about actual protection form these devices. We are constantly told stories of how the back mud flap has stopped large items such as lumber in the road and tire pieces in the road from reaching their toad, so yes, it does give extra protection that can save you hundreds in repairs. It just has to be solid enough to not let the item just fly thru it. Some of them just fly up behind as you move down the road, and do not stay hanging straight down. They will not stop or divert anything.

Tags
toad