Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-03-2013, 08:01 PM   #29
RVM #74

Tiffin Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by MRUSA14 View Post
I was referring to a tow shield such as this one, which I have read can bounce the stones back so that they hit the rear of your coach.
That's exactly what I have and I can't see that happening, at least not very easily. It sits over 3' back from the MH, is quite soft & doesn't offer a good surface to bounce back off of. It would have to be a heck of a shot for that to happen. What I do like about it, as was mentioned before, is that it does protect your toad from rocks kicked up by vehicles on-coming and adjacent to you.

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-03-2013, 08:17 PM   #30

Regular behind-the-duals mud flaps. 21,000 miles. No....chips.
BOOM!
Click image for larger version

Name:	image-2569453276.jpg
Views:	89
Size:	681.1 KB
ID:	43510

http://davenola.blogspot.com/
CampDaven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2013, 09:41 PM   #31

I don't think there is anything that is 100%. I used a Roadmaster Rockguard for a couple years. This is the one that rolls out from the MH side like a window blind and attaches to the tow bar at the front of the toad. It was fairly handy as far as set up and storing but, I ended up with a plethora of stone chips on the front of my toad. I believe it caused more damage than it prevented. Having said that, I had to install it such that it ran under the tow bar because of the Rear Exhaust. I think this had a lot do do with the problem I had because it was so low it would pick up fine gravel and swirl it into the car.

So, now with my new CRV, I have installed the BlueOx/Roadmaster Guardian. That is the big black shield that sits on top of the tow bar and goes across the front of the toad. This one is a little more cumbersome to install and store but IMHO, it will do a much better job. We shall see.
One thing I have seen was a Guardian with a huge crack down the centre of it that had been repaired. When I quizzed the owner how the crack occurred, he told me he hit a Gator on the highway that came up behind the MH and hit the Guardian. Had it not been for this device, he was convinced it would have wrecked the front of his toad. He said the piece also bent his mud flap on the Motorhome. Some hunk of stuff.

After installing the Guardian and reading the installation manual, I am convinced that proper height adjustment is the key to getting maximum protection. I lowered mine 3" below the top of the tow bar to protect the fog lamps.
We are doing an Alaskan Caravan next June so I will report back on the success (or failure) of the Guardian.
On another note, I have purchased a spray on product made by Armorall that is supposed to protect against rock chips etc. for up to 3 months. Then you peel it off like an orange and re-apply if needed. Comes in clear and various colors.
There you have it, everything I know (or think I know) about toad protection.
Old 08-04-2013, 02:15 AM   #32

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by MRUSA14 View Post
I was referring to a tow shield such as this one, which I have read can bounce the stones back so that they hit the rear of your coach.
MrUSA... That Roadmaster Guardian is exactly what I have. I'm currently using it together with a Protect-a-Tow, but last year I towed about 6000 miles using only the Guardian. There was no damage to the toad, and none to the rear of the coach. Additionally, I also believe it is highly unlikely that anything could bounce off the shield and catch the coach. The shield is fairly flexible plastic. If I were doing 60 mph (88 fps), in order for a reflected rock to hit the coach it would have to bounce off the shield at a rate substantially greater than 88 fps. Given the energy damping quality of the shield, this rock would have to impact the shield at a far higher rate-- probably something in the order of 130 fps, or 90 mph. Now, I'm estimating here-- I used to know how to calculate these things, but its been a long, long time. The point is that while moving forward at 60 mph, my coach would have to somehow throw a rock rearward at 90 mph to make the bounce work. I just don't think that's possible.
JFXG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2013, 07:27 AM   #33

Quote:
Originally Posted by JFXG View Post

MrUSA... That Roadmaster Guardian is exactly what I have. I'm currently using it together with a Protect-a-Tow, but last year I towed about 6000 miles using only the Guardian. There was no damage to the toad, and none to the rear of the coach. Additionally, I also believe it is highly unlikely that anything could bounce off the shield and catch the coach. The shield is fairly flexible plastic. If I were doing 60 mph (88 fps), in order for a reflected rock to hit the coach it would have to bounce off the shield at a rate substantially greater than 88 fps. Given the energy damping quality of the shield, this rock would have to impact the shield at a far higher rate-- probably something in the order of 130 fps, or 90 mph. Now, I'm estimating here-- I used to know how to calculate these things, but its been a long, long time. The point is that while moving forward at 60 mph, my coach would have to somehow throw a rock rearward at 90 mph to make the bounce work. I just don't think that's possible.
Speaking from experience. Back in the OLD Days, I was pulling a Tent Trailer down a Gravel Road with my car. All of a sudden, there was a LOUD Bang and the rear window of the car exploded. There was a large rock laying in the rear window cavity that had bounced off the TT and into the car window.
Due to road conditions, we were traveling about 30 MPH.
Old 08-05-2013, 06:10 AM   #34

I have a bra on our 2009 Saturn Vue, actually just the lower part of the bra. Have been pulling it around for over 3yrs. now without a chip to be found. And that includes Alaska. But then again I don't have one of those rear full width mud flaps either. Just ones behind the rear tires on my Dutch Star. Never have been a fan of the full width ones.

Tags
toad