Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-16-2016, 08:33 AM   #15

Monaco Owners Club
My rig is 12' 6". I had no issues with low clearance when going to Florida and back to mass. The traffic updates were surprisingly accurate. I use copilot on an iPad Air. So I have cellular capability on it. I also have a wifi hot spot in my RV, so I could use that also. My only issues with it are that it doesn't seem to show many of the gas stations. I also wish that the program would give me easily accessible gas stops. I'm 36' and towing a truck. I also got sent to a couple of roads that were detoured in NY. That wasn't much fun, but we made it.
Cricco is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-16-2016, 09:41 AM   #16

Fleetwood Owners Club
I have been using the CoPilot RV/car/bicycle/walk version for a couple years or so on my iPad II 10" screen and iPhone 6 Plus both of them on the same less then $15 license. With free map updates. Done away with my Garmin small screen GPS unit. But I do run Street & Trips on a 17" laptop just to compare when they disagree on a way to go.

Quote:
My only issues with it are that it doesn't seem to show many of the gas stations. I also wish that the program would give me easily accessible gas stops.
Download Pilot/Flying J app that has all their stations with RV Islands. Works for me.
Triker56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2016, 11:36 AM   #17

I didn't realize when I started this thread that the CoPilot Truck is $149.99 while the CoPilot RV version is $41.99 at the App store. That's a difference of $108.00, I had no idea the truck version is so much more.

From what you've said the $108 difference is not worth it from the RV standpoint. And aparently the service station information on the RV version is not that good and that's unfortunate. What about the weather, is that equal to the task?

I was told to check out an app called RadarScope for weather information as you travel and it is great by the way! It would be something if the weather on CoPilot was up to that standard.

Thank you all for your information.
WyoFree is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2016, 11:45 AM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by WyoFree View Post
I was told to check out an app called RadarScope for weather information as you travel and it is great by the way!
Yep Copilot, Radarscope, Allstays, and Google maps are the primary apps I switch between while driving.

Best part about a tablet/phone is multiple different apps, unlike a purpose built GPS device, plus an iPad has a much better screen.
Old 08-16-2016, 12:30 PM   #19

Hey jharrell, I noticed there are bunch of apps for Allstays, are you talking about Allstays Camp & RV?
Old 08-16-2016, 03:15 PM   #20

Quote:
Hey jharrell, I noticed there are bunch of apps for Allstays, are you talking about Allstays Camp & RV?
Yes RV & Camp, I use it for finding Flying J's and rest stops and most importantly campgrounds with good reviews, works great.
Old 08-16-2016, 06:43 PM   #21

I have the regular (not the free version) and use it on an iPad with the Bad Elf GPS. Nice setup, but the height maximum is 13' and no weight input. I set up my trip offline and then tell it to go once we leave. The RV version came out after I had purchased mine but I don't find the additional features worth the upgrade cost from what I've already got. The Bad Elf will provide GPS coordinates in areas where cell service is bad or weak.
vettenuts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2016, 06:53 PM   #22

Quote:
Originally Posted by vettenuts View Post
The Bad Elf will provide GPS coordinates in areas where cell service is bad or weak.
The cellular iPad GPS works fine without cell signal. Its simply a side effect of having the cellular chip that it also has a GPS receiver in it as all cell chips do now days.

Let me repeat because I have seen this same misinformation repeated many times. The GPS that comes with the cellular iPad works with NO CELL SERVICE. You don't need to activate or have a signal to get coordinates.

The Bad Elf is a nice unit that you can also use with multiple devices, but I every time I get an iPad I get the cellular version mainly for the built in GPS only.
Old 08-19-2016, 06:02 PM   #23

I currently use the free CoPilot app on my iPhone and downloaded the US maps. When I purchase CoPilot for RV do you know if I have to download the US maps again?
Old 08-19-2016, 06:21 PM   #24

Quote:
I currently use the free CoPilot app on my iPhone and downloaded the US maps. When I purchase CoPilot for RV do you know if I have to download the US maps again?
Yes apps are sand-boxed on iOS they can't share data directly. Since CoPilot RV is a separate app from the free one it has to re-download the maps again into its sandbox.

Not a big deal if you have fast unlimited internet, but something to think about if your on cellular or bad wifi at the time of purchase.
Old 08-19-2016, 06:25 PM   #25

Thanks Jharrell, I should have realized that. It's an iPhone not a Mac. Thanks
Old 09-07-2016, 07:03 AM   #26

Entegra Owners Club
Cool

For those using Co-Pilot, they just updated the app yesterday. I had to download the new app, as well as download the maps again. Haven't had a chance to use it, but it has a bit of a different look and feel from the older version.
2016 Jeep Cherokee
Dr. Q is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2016, 07:42 AM   #27

Is that the RV or the Free version?
Lots of RV Information at www.dmbruss.com
Dale & Mark Bruss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2016, 07:47 AM   #28

Entegra Owners Club
Cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dale & Mark Bruss View Post
Is that the RV or the Free version?