Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-09-2016, 08:20 AM   #43

Hey Bill,

Have you found that the map information is always correct even though the voice command isn't?

Very strange that the voice command can tell you to go left when the map clearly shows right!

You'd think they'd fix that immediately if they plan to be an ongoing company!

I just bought it yesterday and haven't used it on the road as yet. I'm in the setup phase at this point and later today will go to their web site to see if I can find a quick start guide or manual. It's a lot easier reading it on the computer and then doing it on the iPhone.

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-09-2016, 09:31 AM   #44

Quote:
Originally Posted by Victory Blue View Post
Unfortunately, they limited RV weight to a ridiculously low 26K lbs. even though their truck version doesn't have this limitation.
ALK has chosen to keep the cost of the RV version down by leaving the Truck version higher. The two products are basically the same with the RV version having some restrictions, in this case maximum weight. The previous versions for RV had a height restriction of 13' which was a problem for many of the later motorhomes. So some accommodation has been implemented.

Without the weight restriction, truckers would just obtained the RV version which ALK would counter by raising the price of the RV version to be the same as the Truck version.

If weight is a real concern, get the Truck version. For 10 years we used the Truck version because our Volvo was 13'3" and the Travel Supreme was 13'3". Height checking was our main concern so we used the Truck version. The Truck version does also check for bridge limits and for tight turns based upon your rig length.

Yes CoPilot can get chatty. It is interesting on which highway intersections represent a split. We have learned to live with it. It is more interesting with an interruption on a long stretch of highway with no intersections. Maybe it is just to make sure we are awake.

Have not seen any opposite turn directions at the turn. I have observed a few opposite turn indicators but they were a couple of miles from the turn and then change as we approach the turn.

For the record, ALK is not an upstart company. It main business is fleet management (PC-Miler) software and the routing function was built as part of fleet management. The trucking industry function makes the road database used by CoPilot pretty good but it is dependent on road changes being communicated. Communities can be very slow (couple of years) in reporting changes in intersections and new roads. It is helpful when you run into a road error, to report it

Lots of RV Information at www.dmbruss.com
Dale & Mark Bruss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2016, 09:43 AM   #45

Tiffin Owners Club
Regarding the 26K weight limitation issue in the RV version, I emailed ALK a couple of months ago and received the following reply:

Thank you for contacting CoPilot Support.

Given the input of our customers, our product team is re-evaluating the restrictions placed with RV weight. This is an issue that our development team is aware of and will be addressed for the next update. We do not have a release date for the next update for the RV app but the issue has been bugged and reported in our system. Thank you for writing in and notifying us. We apologize for the inconvenience, and we hope to have this fixed as soon as possible. Thank you for your patience.

Regards,

Thomas
North America CoPilot Technical Support Analyst
BobGed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2016, 10:47 AM   #46

I'm happy to see how many folks use CoPilot and the amount of information you're able provide. The thought of moving down the hi ways and bi ways in a 40'+ Motorhome with poor or wrong road information is not a happy one!

You guys have made my purchase a lot easier and I thank you again for your help!

Oh, how well does CoPiolet work for those staying off the interstates and going through small towns and county roads?
Old 09-09-2016, 10:53 AM   #47

Quote:
Originally Posted by WyoFree View Post
Oh, how well does CoPiolet work for those staying off the interstates and going through small towns and county roads?
Remember how CoPilot's main market is commercial trucks, commercial trucks go virtually everywhere to deliver to stores, including small towns at the end of county roads.
Lots of RV Information at www.dmbruss.com
Dale & Mark Bruss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2016, 10:57 AM   #48

Thank you Dale, After reading your post it was one of those "Well Daa" moments! Frankly, moments I have way too often...
Old 09-09-2016, 11:10 AM   #49

Quote:
I have found its works ok, their maps are never going to be as up to date as say Google maps. But this is the great thing about using a tablet rather than a GPS only device is that you can consults multiple sources if you are unsure of the area, including satellite imagery, so long as you a have internet
Old 09-09-2016, 11:15 AM   #50

Howdy!

As stated we are fulltimers and this year we are traveling in the northeast. I have set my Co-Pulot RV app to not use toll roads which then takes us through some small towns and roads. We been in Ohio, Pennsylvania, New York, Vermont and New Jersy. Our 5er is 13'4" tall and I hear Horrid stories of RVer's and low bridge encounters in these areas and Co-Pilot has not steered us wrong.

"Happy Trails"
Chiefneon
Old 09-09-2016, 11:28 AM   #51

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Weight restrictio

I just downloaded the free version and then got permanent maps and voice command ($18), have not used it on my RV trip yet but will on the end of the month adventure. Seems pretty good and good functionality, plan on downloading it on my tablet as well and can USB my phone for service if needed for traffic alerts and such.

Not sure why the weight restriction is a big deal? Does not matter if you are 27K or 50K you can't go there if the system is set to 26K warning. Seems to me it is set to error on a good safety weight based on the division of most Class A and class B/C driving requirements.

Speaking of weight tho I did my labor day trip and was east on
I-40 when we hit construction, we where actually diverted OFF the interstate onto side road and then back on the interstate. They had people working the OFF and ON ramps which was good. As i was following the herd on the detour i noticed a weight limit sign on our road..... 9 TONS Now i wasn't towing this trip and was at GVWR (21K) but i thought to my self " oh crap i am over that by 3 Tons" as i looked up in front of me and saw several fully loaded Semi's !!!! I wonder if anyone in DOT thought about that when they did the detour and how many 30 TON trucks just rolled over a 9 TON restriction in the road.

I wonder now if i had copilot if it would have gone off and told me and if i would have pulled off to ask someone had they considered that or just pressed on with the herd and said Ol well
Fleetwood Bounder 35K 2016, Ford V-10, F53(2015 chassis),RayZor HD, Wineguard Dish SAT, Roadmaster -- steering Stabilizer, Front & rear Sway Bars, SCT 5 Star tuner, Tireminder TM66 TPMS, Banks Ram Air intake, EZE Tow Dolly
Dennis Dean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2016, 11:40 AM   #52

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr. Q View Post
Oh boy....I might have misled everyone.

I have the Co-Pilot USA Premium version, which gives me the ability to tell the software I'm driving an RV... It allows me to put in the height of the RV and warns me of low clearances or routes me around those. It also allows me to input propane and will guide me around roads where that is an issue. There are no inputs for RV weight in the software.

Therefore, I'm guessing I don't have the RV specific version of the software.

Sorry, if I misled anyone on this one....

That is the same version I am running and the update turned into a disaster.
vettenuts is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2016, 11:46 AM   #53
Moderator Emeritus

Thor Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Hey Bill,

Have you found that the map information is always correct even though the voice command isn't?

Very strange that the voice command can tell you to go left when the map clearly shows right!
My Tom Tom 960 has this problem way more frequently. Seems to be a problem of the text to voice software.
Maya the Rottweiler/Great Dane Mix
Hudsoner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2016, 11:55 AM   #54
Moderator Emeritus

Thor Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by vettenuts View Post
That is the same version I am running and the update turned into a disaster.
I am also using this version, but can't find anything about an update.
I don't need any weight restrictions because my unit will hardly have any problems with weight.
Maya the Rottweiler/Great Dane Mix
Hudsoner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2016, 11:56 AM   #55

Spartan Chassis
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dale & Mark Bruss View Post
ALK has chosen to keep the cost of the RV version down by leaving the Truck version higher. The two products are basically the same with the RV version having some restrictions, in this case maximum weight. The previous versions for RV had a height restriction of 13' which was a problem for many of the later motorhomes. So some accommodation has been implemented.

Without the weight restriction, truckers would just obtained the RV version which ALK would counter by raising the price of the RV version to be the same as the Truck version.

If weight is a real concern, get the Truck version. For 10 years we used the Truck version because our Volvo was 13'3" and the Travel Supreme was 13'3". Height checking was our main concern so we used the Truck version. The Truck version does also check for bridge limits and for tight turns based upon your rig length.

Yes CoPilot can get chatty. It is interesting on which highway intersections represent a split. We have learned to live with it. It is more interesting with an interruption on a long stretch of highway with no intersections. Maybe it is just to make sure we are awake.

Have not seen any opposite turn directions at the turn. I have observed a few opposite turn indicators but they were a couple of miles from the turn and then change as we approach the turn.

For the record, ALK is not an upstart company. It main business is fleet management (PC-Miler) software and the routing function was built as part of fleet management. The trucking industry function makes the road database used by CoPilot pretty good but it is dependent on road changes being communicated. Communities can be very slow (couple of years) in reporting changes in intersections and new roads. It is helpful when you run into a road error, to report it
I've used Copilot for several years, always the paid version, so it was a natural progression for me to upgrade to the RV version when it became available. From my standpoint there's no acceptable excuse for selling an RV version that doesn't handle DP weights; the regular versions allow an RV to be chosen as the vehicle. I will look at the truck version, but not happily.

Interstates don't split with US or state roadways, even though those may follow the Interstate route for a distance; they're always marked as exits. Copilot isn't even consistent with these "warnings"; some of the ones I actually need a heads up on are the ones Copilot misses.

Claiming Copilot is chatty is understating the issue, especially if you drive mostly on Interstates as we do. For every voice prompt there is an unneeded direction on the list of directions, which only serves to hide the upcoming directions that are actually important. On I75 going north in Michigan two weeks ago there were a dozen warnings to stay on I75 while some other highway split off, with a direction for everyone of them.

A voice nav instruction that says turn right when it's actually a left is not a road error. I'm not even sure it's repeatable - I'd have to go back over exactly the same route to see if I got the same result. It happened to us yesterday on Michigan 68 coming our of Petoskey when Copilot said to turn right (at the turn, not long before) to stay on 68 East, when the map and street signs said turn left, which we did. You will find other users claiming the same issue on Copilot's user forum. Copilot also periodically says the destination is on the opposite side of the road from where it is.

Bottom line for me - I still use Copilot, but I want it to be better.
2016 Ford Edge Titanium
Victory Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2016, 02:18 PM   #56

Quick question, I have the RV version and is there a way to name your saved address? Right now it wants to save by street address and I'd like to save by name like Bank, Barber, Lowe's etc.

Save by street address is a strange way of doing it if you have a bunch of places in the same town.