RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 11-21-2017, 06:14 AM   #43

Newmar Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by timjet View Post
I use trip wizzard and like it. However I have not been able to download a trip created in trip wizzard and have it display on my Garmin GPS the same way as I created it in trip wizzard. It seems the departure and destination point on the trip are downloaded to my Garmin RV 660 but the GPS then creates it's own route between the departure and destination using the routing parameters set in the GPS and ignoring the route I created in trip wizzard.

Even if I clear all the routing parameters in the GPS the default parameters are used, still ignoring the route I created in trip wizzard.

Suggestions??
Tim,
I use RV Trip Wizard exclusively for our trip planning. I use a Garmin Dash Cam GPS for guidance. I do not try to load an entire trip into my Garmin, instead I download the trip in Excel format, print it and then carry it in a note book. Before each departure I load the "next" RV Park address into the GPS and it navigates me to the Park... System works well...

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-21-2017, 06:39 AM   #44

Ken, what I do is create a multi leg route in Trip Wizard and name it. I then delete all points on the trip except the leg I will navigate next. I rename it a different name so Trip Wizard now has the entire trip and the leg I'm doing next. I download the leg I'm doing next to my GPS. However as mentioned before the leg I created in Trip Wizard may or may not download exactly as created.

For example, I created a one day leg from a place in Virginia thru Atlanta to some place south of Atlanta. Using trip wizard I routed myself around Atlanta using secondary roads. When I loaded the trip into my GPS, the GPS recalculated the route around Atlanta since the parameters in the GPS were set to avoid major highways, but the route was different than the one created in trip wizard.

timjet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2017, 07:07 AM   #45

Jayco Owners Club
Have used it for two years now and find it to be very useful, good info, and easy to use.
caroga is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2017, 10:20 PM   #46

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
I've used TW for a couple of years in conjunction with my built in Xite/Rand McNally GPS. I set waypoints to force the RM unit to follow my route. Just be sure your waypoint is really on the road where you want it. Unless you zoom in close it is easy to be just off the highway. I also have done this with the Good Sam routing but the way points are seldom right when I import the guidence. For really long trips I still use the old Plan-N-Go 2013 (World's best routing software! Too bad it died.) Then I transfer it to TW.
aiken rver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2017, 06:57 AM   #47

If TW wants to be as good as I think they do, they need to make it a stand alone item. We shouldn’t have to wander all around carpenters barn to set our travel plans.

The addition of off line maps like CoPilot would be teriffic. I don’t want to get us going on a GPS. I just mean they already use GPS info for their product. So why not go to the next level so we don’t have to mess with connectivity with another product? And we need to work with TW off line!

Harry
Old 11-22-2017, 08:46 AM   #48

Ok, a little help. Trying to wean myself from MS Streets & trips. Reading here about RV Trip Wizard but can't find it in the android play store. Anyone have any info?
Thanks
bobsharon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2017, 09:00 AM   #49

Monaco Owners Club
If you are a member of good sam, there is a free one that has worked for us:
http://trips.goodsamclub.com/

but I use it as a guide only, and do google searches and overviews to make sure it is an area the wife will allow me to stop

IMHO, had a free version of CoPilot and it was just too kludgy for me...
Old 11-22-2017, 09:20 AM   #50

Thanks...thought it was an app
bobsharon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2017, 09:23 AM   #51

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobsharon View Post
Ok, a little help. Trying to wean myself from MS Streets & trips. Reading here about RV Trip Wizard but can't find it in the android play store. Anyone have any info?
Thanks
You get if from www.rvtripwizard.com from your PC. You must pay a annual fee to use it. It will download your route to a GPS or Google Maps.
timjet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2017, 09:55 AM   #52

I just started using TW this summer, and do like it. Some other programs I tried did not work, so I really did not expect much, but I gave the trial version a shot. There is some learning involved, but it gets there quickly and has a lot of good features.

I started using it in mid-trip and just went back to the calendar I was using to plan and record each stop, and entered the data from the beginning. That gave me the trip from Florida all the way to Idaho. From there I could plot and plan the rest of the way into Washington, Oregon and northern California. Then it was time to start planning the trip back. I like that it keeps track of our total miles, and even estimates the fuel costs if I feed it an average fuel cost. (That trip was about 8400 miles with 160 campsite stops).

I don't even try to export anything. I set up the trip as far as I want to and expand as needed. When we drive, I get the next stop info the night before and manually feed it into my GPS and give the location to DW to put into her MapQuest tablet. Between the two of us we figure out where we are going. It helps that we much prefer interstate highways. That way there is less confusion about where the roads are and where to exit.

I have found that the program works well for us, and will use it for our next trip in the spring.

Good luck with it. They do allow you to give good try before you have to commit to it.

Tom
TLGPE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2017, 04:55 PM   #53

Nor'easters Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
RV Trip Wizard
RV Trip Wizard - thumbs up!

We started our first ever road trip on Oct 8th from CT and used RV Trip Wizard to rough plan out our route. We only had 3 places plugged in with a service stop in Decatur, 1 reservation in AZ for Thanksgiving and another in CA for Christmas. We plugged in how much we wanted to drive per day and looked near the map’s red ring for places to stay when we were ready to move on. It also gives us a chance to see if there are things in the area we want to see. It’s been a great tool for us, reasonably priced and makes it very easy to make ‘on the fly’ changes. We also use RV Park Reviews to check out the places found on the trip wizard’s map. I would recommend RV TW highly. We also have a rough route for our return trip in Jan from LA back to CT using a very southern route which is always open to change .

Clay & Marcy
2015 Fleetwood Storm 32V
, 2005 Beetle Conv Toad, RVI3, eeZRV, Garmin RV 770 LMT-S, Viair
CEParosa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2018, 05:08 PM   #54

Holiday Rambler Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Artsville View Post
I am currently planning trips w this sw and with RVParky. I am not sure which I prefer. The latter is free. The one item I noticed quickly is the RVParky has many more campground options listed. Does anybody have opinions on RVParky? If so what was you major drawback?

I know this is an older thread but I did a search for ‘RVParky’ to see relevant posts. I have looked a lot for trip planning software and started using it because of the number of stops listed. My problem was trying to send it to my Garmin and having it come out as I planned it. I have decided that I can’t as it produces a CSV file with the stops mixed up. I think what I will look at doing is pulling up the list on the POI file and select my next stop in the list and go. Otherwise I really like RVParky and want to narrow down my planning software. I also use ‘How far can I travel’ in freemaptools.com. Helps determine where each daily stop needs to be.
Old 01-11-2018, 05:13 PM   #55

AllStays, RV Park Reviews, never have used Trip Wizard (coulda meant sumptin' quite different back in the 60's!! or so I'm told.)
cruzbill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2018, 05:31 PM   #56

I just this past week after reading this thread and planning a trip to Monument Valley, signed up for it. Frankly it is exactly the kind of software I’ve been looking for. It has its quirks or things I wish worked differently, the printing ( at least on my iPad ) is not great, but I would recommend it.

2015 Jeep Wrangler 2DR 4WD Sahara, Automatic, Hard Top
wildtoad is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
trip wizard