Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 02-21-2014, 10:02 AM   #29

Fleetwood Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by macandphyl View Post
X2 to all that think the side cams are useless, I agree.
There is no way you have time to take your eyes
away from the road to look into the cam display.
Dangerous as well as useless when driving, IMHO.
To each their own on how you use your mirrors and cameras. Being safe is what's important and to claim side view cameras are dangerous is foolish. They are one more safety tool to be used and are no different than taking your eyes off the road to look at your backup camera. You are supposed to continuously scan around you and have an escape lane whether you are driving your MH or car. I have found side view cameras to be useful, especially in heavy traffic where cars like to slip into and out of lanes. If they don't work for you, don't use them but to pronounce them as dangerous? They may be useless to you but aren't dangerous to anyone. Lastly, if you are so focused on going forward that you can't check out what's happening behind you or around you...yikes!
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-21-2014, 10:32 PM   #30

I dont want to change the subject but both rear and right camera went bad on our 2013 Itasca. Isnt it too early for a camera to go bad? We have been on the road for the last 6 months and i was getting used to the side cameras. The rear I use a lot to keep track of towed.
Old 02-21-2014, 11:57 PM   #31

Ford Super Duty Owner
The side cameras drive me nuts. it has taken some time to get use to them. I may modify to only have rear view I like to see what the toad is up.
rwjsim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2014, 01:01 AM   #32

Quote:
Originally Posted by michelb View Post
try to adjust my mirrors so that I have the best view but no matter how I adjust them, I think I still have a blind spot for a low car basically at my front bumper on the passenger side (i.e. basically right below the passenger side mirror).
This simple and inexpensive device, when installed in the proper location, makes it impossible for any small vehicle to hide in your right front corner. Also, you can visually check it and your mirror in the same area, not down on a dash cam.

CIPA 60100 Wide Angle Lens - 8" x 10" : Amazon.com : Automotive
Attached Images

gruelens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2014, 08:25 AM   #33

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Craigls2 View Post
To each their own on how you use your mirrors and cameras. Being safe is what's important and to claim side view cameras are dangerous is foolish. They are one more safety tool to be used and are no different than taking your eyes off the road to look at your backup camera. You are supposed to continuously scan around you and have an escape lane whether you are driving your MH or car. I have found side view cameras to be useful, especially in heavy traffic where cars like to slip into and out of lanes. If they don't work for you, don't use them but to pronounce them as dangerous? They may be useless to you but aren't dangerous to anyone. Lastly, if you are so focused on going forward that you can't check out what's happening behind you or around you...yikes!
X 2 Very well wrote.
Old 02-22-2014, 08:46 AM   #34
Moderator Emeritus

Jayco Owners Club
RV Trip Wizard
Larry, I'm with you, on all points.

I can see down the side of the coach just fine, including the so called "blind spots", with properly adjusted mirrors. What can't be seen in the mirrors is where the rear of our toad is relative to traffic or obstacles.

It's my understanding that there is a version of the side view cameras/monitor that uses a split screen. It shows the side view while maintaining the rear view.
2024 Ford Expedition
JMonroe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2014, 02:35 PM   #35

National RV Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
I use my side view cameras all the time now.
I added two 5 inch monitors and placed them on the dash each side of the steering wheel. I then tapped into the side camera feeds and have a constant view of both sides. I never liked the idea that turn signal activated the side camera.
This way I can see all three views at the same time. Side view cameras went from a negative to a positive experience!
Pablo77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2014, 03:17 PM   #36

Tiffin Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by JMonroe View Post
It's my understanding that there is a version of the side view cameras/monitor that uses a split screen. It shows the side view while maintaining the rear view.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pablo77 View Post
I use my side view cameras all the time now.
I added two 5 inch monitors and placed them on the dash each side of the steering wheel. I then tapped into the side camera feeds and have a constant view of both sides. I never liked the idea that turn signal activated the side camera.
This way I can see all three views at the same time. Side view cameras went from a negative to a positive experience!
Now this makes sense. If you can see them all the time without loosing the rearward shot it can be of additional benefit. Otherwise, they are a waste of time, and divert your attention from where it needs to be.
Old 02-22-2014, 03:27 PM   #37

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
custom camera

I kept the old sony crt but added a new led color also.
The backup sony still works fine when going into reverse but the LED display is for the higher on the rear horizon view. It gives me all three lanes coming at me.

The side camera I installed just under the corner of the front window facing to the right side. It is a 170 degree view with a hood on the top to prevent the sun and sky to be displayed. it is great day or night as it has an auto aperture. I can see about 10 feet in front of my blind spot and out three lanes to the right and all the way down the back of MH. It took a little getting use to the very wide view but it works as a side/rear view as well as blind spot. If there is a car in my blind spot it fill the entire screen but I can also see way to the side with swinging over lanes to an off ram. the camera is a Speco about $200 which is more than I spent for the color rear and display.

have had it for about two season and really like it
Old 02-22-2014, 03:34 PM   #38

Yeah and mirror also.
Old 02-22-2014, 06:12 PM   #39

I use the cameras from time to time to augment the mirrors in really tight quarters, like pulling close to a concrete wall. This is off topic a bit but the cameras have been great to assist in checking noises around the rv at night before opening the door.
Daveark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2014, 06:17 PM   #40

Tiffin Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Daveark View Post
This is off topic a bit but the cameras have been great to assist in checking noises around the rv at night before opening the door.
I use my dogs for that
Old 02-22-2014, 06:49 PM   #41

Tiffin Owners Club
Nor'easters Club
I use the side cameras for backing into camp sites. Mirrors when I am driving.
Dan
Old 02-22-2014, 09:18 PM   #42

Tiffin Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by danf7 View Post
I use the side cameras for backing into camp sites. Mirrors when I am driving.
Dan
Yours must be wired differently. My Triplevision monitor locks onto the rear camera whenever I am in reverse. I know that I can change that but I'll wait until I replace the entire setup.

Tags
camera