Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2
Old 03-27-2011, 07:27 AM   #1
Tiffin Owners Club
Does a MH cover really work?

Since I store my MH outside, I've been thinking about a cover but have been skeptical. Would like to hear about the good, the bad and the ugly before making a final decision.

Scott & Sheri Williams, Chelsea Alabama
2011 Phaeton 36QSH
2009 GMC Sierra P\U with Air Force One
SW4UA is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-27-2011, 08:50 AM   #2
I don't use one now but tried one once. What you have to remember is MAKE SURE EVERYTHING INSIDE IS DRY. They say they breathe, if you get the good one, but you already know that if there is moisture inside and you close it up, you get mold. Putting a cover on that and the problem only gets worse. My solution has always been to keep it on shore line and run heat or cool as needed. I warm to about 55 to keep things from freezing and cool to about 80 so it's not unbearable when I go back inside. If you only have gas heat, may I suggest a small freestanding heater or two. If you are dependent on gas you will run out when it's least convenient to to refill. That's just my opinion.

But the true travelers are they who leave for leaving’s sake
Saying continuously, without knowing why: ‘Let us go on’.
Paraphrased from Baudelaire’s ‘The Journey’

Joe and Penny
Mischief and Spanky (Shih Tzus)
2013 Crossroads Z-1 29' Travel Trailer
thelastplace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2011, 09:04 AM   #3
The last time I put a cover on my Motorhome (not my Dynasty) I caused many paint problems. I had it parked in Upstate NY at my in-laws farm .They were at a high point in the area and the wind constantly blew. No matter how snug the cover was it did "flap" which caused paint abrasions.
I have never covered since and I think that works better for me. I do like the "shrink fit covers used on boats but I have no experience with them.
There are two Class As in the storage yard where I store my MH both have new expensive covers which were destroyed this past year. I am not sure if it was the installation or the covers but it does not give me god feelings.
2001 Monaco Dynasty
Barrier2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2011, 09:07 AM   #4
We use a cover and found them very helpful for keeping it dryer and cleaner. thelastplace is correct in that you don't want to put it on a damp motorhome. I live only a couple blocks from the freeway so it cuts down on the road dirt that we get. I haven't run into a mold problem, that i can attribute to the cover. Downside is that it does make it harder to get in and out of the coach. And a bit of pain to put on and take off.
Steve&Dora is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2011, 09:38 AM   #5
I have covered ours for years and never a problem. It's snug enough to not rub in even strong winds. Have piece of mind when there is a foot of snow laying on the roof. I go inside occasionally and check everything. The only down side is putting it on and taking it off, but it's only twice a year. Taking it off isn't near as bad as putting it on, because, it's spring time. Yeah!!!
John, Deb; & our dog, Benji, Forever in our hearts.
2014 Coachmen Leprechaun 319DS V-10
2011 Jeep Liberty Jet & 2014 Jeep Wrangler
John H... is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2011, 09:43 AM   #6
American Coach Owners Club
Originally Posted by SW4UA View Post
Since I store my MH outside, I've been thinking about a cover but have been skeptical. Would like to hear about the good, the bad and the ugly before making a final decision.

The guy that parks next to me (we're inside stored)had previously bought a nice cover for his 38'r. After 'fighting' the beast(his words) a couple of times and after almost falling off the roof while installing it, he decided the benefits did not out weigh the effort.

If you're going to be installing a cover with little assistance, I'd be sure to check into the weight of the cover and then decide whether you want to tackle covering the RV. Also if you do most of your own maintenance, I would imagine that uncovering and covering on a regular basic could get a little bothersome after awhile.

Here in Florida, it's almost a must to protect a RV from the damaging effects of the sun. IMO, keeping the coach out of the elements is worth every penny (bunch of pennies).... I'm not wealthy person, but an even lazier one...no covers for me! YMMV. Bob
Jan and Bob

RIP 'Squeaky'
scenic route is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2011, 09:53 AM   #7
Monaco Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
I used one on a trailer a few times. Make sure they are secured very well as the wind can take them off.
I also noted that after a couple times helping to install it my wife and daughters all disappeared when it came time to put it on.
Should of saved my money.
2004 Monaco La Palma 36DBD, W22, 8.1, 7.1 MPG
2000 LEXUS RX300 FWD 22MPG 4020 LBS
Arch Hoagland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2011, 09:59 AM   #8
Covers do work the materials they make them out of breath to let out moisture on the down side a pain to put on and take off, the life span is about 4 to 5 years in my experience so your best beat is build a shed more money up but worth it.
2007 Fleetwood Revolution LE 40V
Tha_Rooster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2011, 01:28 PM   #9
Fleetwood Owners Club
American Coach Owners Club
The wind may wear a hole in the cover or wear some paint off the MH. They are heavy, how will you get it on the roof to install? They are big, do you have room to store it?

My solution was to find covered garage storage. A bit expensive, but worth it.
Cat320 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2011, 02:16 PM   #10
The weight isn't an issue for me, I usually tie a rope around it, climb up the ladder then hoist it up. Getting them on and off is somewhat time consuming, but after a few years of doing it I have down to about 15 minutes either way. Because are in So Cal. I need to protect from the sun, and ours comes off every trip.
Steve&Dora is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2011, 04:40 PM   #11
As a 5er owner decided that in 2009 to purchase an ADCO cover for my 34' unit. Yes, it worked well to keep it clean. Yes it appears to have prevented some wear and tear. Yes, it IS a pain to install when you are 12 feet off the ground on a kinda slippery "slope" with no grab bars, dodging 4 Maxxaire vents, a sky light, 2 large solar panels, an a/c unit, a roof rack and a couple of tank vents with a 50 pound lump of material that will rip if snagged. Oh yeah, it has to be cold as well. My DW - like noted above - disappears so her ears don't get "burned" while learning new antisocial phrases from me.
Dave W along with my DW, Susan and our poodlepups, Callie & Molly,2011 Ford F250 6.7 CCLB, 5er Hitch Option w/B&W Hitch,,Ride Rite air bags, 2014 Montana High Country 343RL (38')
IC2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2011, 05:54 PM   #12
Community Administrator

Pond Piggies Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
LA Gulf Coast Campers
Outdoors RV Owners Club
Pictures of MH cover issues after 1st year.

We missed a couple of pointy projections that 1st year & paid the price. Cut up swim noodles did the trick for following years. It did a good job of keeping it clean, UV rays away & protecting it each of the 3 winters we used the cover. It was a royal pain to get on that 1st year, but once we figured out the sequence of steps, it went on much easier the next couple years.

Last year, we built an RV port. If we didn't have that, or couldn't get reasonably priced indoor storage, a cover is better than nothing. I wouldn't put it on, though, for anything less than several months storage. Not worth the hassle of wrestling w/it otherwise.

Lori & Dave - FMA #3415 | FMCA #F419886 | RV/MH Hall of Fame Lifetime Member
2006 Fleetwood Bounder 36Z & 2014 Honda CRV AWD, My iRV2 Photo Albums
How is it one careless match can start a forest fire but it takes a whole box to start a campfire?
NLOVNIT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2011, 06:03 PM   #13
Fleetwood Owners Club
Retired Fire Service RVer's
Let me just add this, try using a cover if possible without buying first! Once you try putting it on and taking it off! You will quickly decide against the fun. My 2 cents
ToddGaddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2011, 06:26 PM   #14
I bought a cover last summer. Used it to protect the coach through the summer until our last trip down South. It certainly kept the RV clean compared to sitting out naked.

When we returned from Oklahoma after our last trip on Thanksgiving, we arrived in miserable weather in Chicago. No way would I try to negotiate the slippery roof when the snow was fallling!

I'm careful to not cover the unit when it's dirty to minimize abrasion. We didn't get to clean the RV after the Oklahoma trip, so she sat uncovered all winter.

I think covers help protect the finish and subdue the sun a little bit for the interior, so I'm planning to continue the use of ours. But only when I can clean the RV before I cover it.

I discovered some wear points - the ears on the slide toppers wore through. I repaired the cover then protected the ears using some old tennis balls with a spit cut into them. Problem solved.

It's definitely a two-person job for us to install or remove it. Takes about 15 minutes as others have said. Sue & I usually have still been on speaking terms when the process is complete. Once you've done it a couple of times, you figure out a routine to roll it up in a certain way when you uncover it so that you can (sorta) easily unroll it when it's time to cover it again and the corners are in the right place.

When the cover is packed in its bag, it's huge! I have a motorcycle trailer in which I stow the bagged cover. The storage bag is a cylinder that's about 4 1/2' high x 3' around. Huge. Needs to be dry before it's packed.

All in all, I think it's worth it. I wax the coach at the beginning of the season and clean it thoroughly after each trip. I think the cover will extend the life of the roof and the appearance of the finish.

Coyle & Sue
Cassity (Labrador) and Rylee (Standard Poodle)
2007 Damon Challenger 355; 2003 Element toad
195pilot is offline   Reply With Quote