Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 05-30-2016, 09:58 PM   #15

Tiffin Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
There is an owner of a diesel motorhome in our neighborhood that rents his out. I checked into it before we purchased ours and his rental agreement was pretty strict.

You have to bring your own insurance for the coach.
No pets.
Cleaning fee
Large deposit
Charge for generator use over so many hours

That is just the rules I remember.

He must do a pretty good business because the coach is gone quite a bit and he upgrades to a newer coach every few years. I did hear that one of his customers had an accident with the coach and messed it up pretty good.

Jon
2013 Chevy Spark Dinghy
jfran304 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-30-2016, 10:09 PM   #16

Monaco Owners Club
NO!!!!!!!!!!
gemert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2016, 10:11 PM   #17

Country Coach Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
I'll go with the NO group.
Mr_D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2016, 10:13 PM   #18

Maybe with a $400,000.00 cash deposit..... Other then that NOPE....
LeeB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2016, 11:50 PM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by cmlintx View Post
We have a 2010 Newmar Ventana 42' diesel pusher motorhome that we are thinking about making available for renting. Have any of you had experience doing that? I am interested in hearing both good and bad experiences. Also, how successful were you?

Thank You,
Clyde
Festus, MO

Guess my answer is more of a question. WHY?
I would rather let the coach sit in my shop unused, as opposed to lending it to family or friends, or even worse, renting it to complete strangers, who may or may not have knowledge of how MH stuff works.
The previous Robin Williams RV movie comment rings true here.
WeBRVing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2016, 07:46 AM   #20

Looked into it in Vegas when I lived there and my DP was sitting unused.
Decided against it for a couple of reasons
1) Had to get separate insurance policy to cover renting it
2) Most sales/service centers can barely figure out how to use all the systems/gadgets never mind someone who may have only ridden a tricycle previously.
3) I keep my tanks pristine in/out. No clue what others will do to it.
4) I bought it to use it myself and know what and when was done to it. Too many horror stories out there.
Old 05-31-2016, 02:43 PM   #21

Me thinks you guys are being trolled.😁
powderman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2016, 08:21 PM   #22

Fleetwood Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by powderman View Post
Yep, two questions that keep coming up:

1. Have you ever/would you ever rent out your motor home?

2. Should I drive my motor home to Mexico?

LoL
montyhp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2016, 09:11 PM   #23

speeking of......I had a friend that did it.. he bragged on how good it was and the money he was making..he done so well he bbought a couple new riggs....

guy comes along and rents it for the week...takes off.... never ever comes back..

cops say to him... you can't report it stolen... you let him take it

you can sue him if you ever find him...

last I heard he thought he found it down in mexico... but had to hire some one to go and steal it and bring it back..insurance never paid either... so he lost all the way around...

I used to also have a friend that did the loans at the bank.... Indians would come and buy motorhomes , take them on the res. and never make a payment... they could not go on the res and repo the coach... so again they had to wait till it was off and grab it... or have a thief steal it.. and tell them were it was parked or let it get impounded...

so no ... I won't rent my wife , coach or dogs
LVRVLUVR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2016, 09:14 PM   #24

Quote:
Originally Posted by powderman View Post
you post up 1 post a week and one of them is this
LVRVLUVR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2016, 10:56 AM   #25

Tiffin Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
No
way
Snyderwheels is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2016, 10:13 AM   #26

My wife and I decided this spring that we were going to purchase a much larger RV than we needed and rent it out. It's not a diesel but it is a 38' Class A. The reason for making this decision is we had rented many motor homes in the past and could never find a toy hauler motor home to rent, there was clearly an opening in the market. After long conversation with two of the guys we had rented from in the past they both said they loved it and neither had any "bad" experiences. The worst thing they said is some people standard of clean on return isn't up to par but that it was never terrible. In May we decided to purchase a 2009 Damon Outlaw 3808 and bring it back from Kentucky to MN. April was our first month renting it and since then we've rented it out 5 times. We carry insurance through MBA that is specific to rental units and they have been AWESOME about helping us with the process of renting ours out. They even provided a rental agreement for us to use. So far we've made $5000 renting the RV out and every renter has been wonderful. They bring it back clean, filled with fuel, and tanks empty. We typically spend two hours doing some detailed cleaning before sending it on it's way again. My wife and I have used it on the weekends that it's not rented and are looking forward to a two week trip to Hilton Head this winter.

With that said if you can disconnect from the "this is my second home" mentality and look at your RV like a business, then renting is great. Our neighbors have a smaller RV and they see it as their home away from home... they would HATE renting it out because it would be a violation of their personal space. We bought this with the intention to rent it and we keep ourselves disconnected from it because of that. Also, keep in mind that we are 30 years old, work full time, and maintain the RV ourselves. Renting the RV is what allows us to have a 38' toy hauler with a loan payment instead of a 22' Class C.

Bottom line is renting can be a great thing. Be picky about who you rent to, we turn down renters all the time if their group is too big or they are traveling too far from home. Also, make sure you are able to detach yourself from the RV. Some of the rental "income" is not actually income because it's covering the depreciation from wear and tear that they renters are putting on it. If you have any other questions about renting PM me and I'd be happy to tell you what I have found. We're not pro's at this but we're not doing to bad either.
just4plaay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2016, 10:17 AM   #27

Quote:
Originally Posted by LVRVLUVR View Post
speeking of......I had a friend that did it.. he bragged on how good it was and the money he was making..he done so well he bbought a couple new riggs....

guy comes along and rents it for the week...takes off.... never ever comes back..

cops say to him... you can't report it stolen... you let him take it

you can sue him if you ever find him...

last I heard he thought he found it down in mexico... but had to hire some one to go and steal it and bring it back..insurance never paid either... so he lost all the way around...

I used to also have a friend that did the loans at the bank.... Indians would come and buy motorhomes , take them on the res. and never make a payment... they could not go on the res and repo the coach... so again they had to wait till it was off and grab it... or have a thief steal it.. and tell them were it was parked or let it get impounded...

so no ... I won't rent my wife , coach or dogs

Standard insurance does not cover conversion (essentially theft after you have willingly given someone the keys). If you have a policy specific for rental RV's then they do cover conversion but typically have a much higher deductible. Our policy with MBA will cover 80% of the current value if the theft is from conversion (basically the deductible is 20% of the coach's value). Also, cops will absolutely report it as a stolen vehicle and look for it. If your friend got that response from the cops he should have called the sheriff because there is an officer that needs to be fired.
just4plaay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2016, 10:32 AM   #28

Newmar Owners Club
Tiffin Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by just4plaay View Post
Standard insurance does not cover conversion (essentially theft after you have willingly given someone the keys). If you have a policy specific for rental RV's then they do cover conversion but typically have a much higher deductible. Our policy with MBA will cover 80% of the current value if the theft is from conversion (basically the deductible is 20% of the coach's value). Also, cops will absolutely report it as a stolen vehicle and look for it. If your friend got that response from the cops he should have called the sheriff because there is an officer that needs to be fired.
Agreed. If its out past its return deadline and there's been no conversation about coming in late, report it as stolen. I think that's how the rental car companies handle it.
jt
JT, Em & the boys, Kong & Baxter (rescued grey tabbies)
harleyjt is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
diesel, class a