Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-31-2017, 09:25 AM   #15

The used 32' Class A we bought a few years back came with a complete spare wheel. It was stashed on top of the propane tank and chained down. The original owner from whom we bought the rig said that, in the 8 years they'd owned it, all he'd ever done was check the air pressure.

In the four years we had it, that's all I ever did. Tire failures (other than foreign object damage) are fairly rare. Our 2003 Kia has 126,000 miles on it and has never had a tire failure. It probably will next week now I've bragged about it!
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-31-2017, 09:30 AM   #16

I would estimate that 90% of us mh owners do not carry a spare. Me included. I don't even have a toad setup.

I do have a plug kit and air compressor though. And a cc as a last resort.

I also have roadside assistance. Not sure why if all they do is call some fleet companies for you? If I have a phone and phone service -- pretty sure I can call myself. The trick is knowing to tell the dispatcher that you are with any one of the roadside assistance companies, manufacturers or dealerships as the company to list. I have to pay the invoice anyway...
Old 08-31-2017, 09:44 AM   #17

I carried an unmounted tire around for over 10 years in various motorhomes and never had a need for it. I finally stopped and use the space for more useful things. The little bit extra I may have to pay a tire service company to bring a new tire will likely be worth it to not have to haul a spare around all the time.

If I was doing a lot of off highway travel I'd carry one.
Old 08-31-2017, 09:51 AM   #18

My 2005 Damon Daybreak came with a spare.

This is not something I would change myself but get roadside assistance to do.
Old 08-31-2017, 09:59 AM   #19

I think it would be safe to say that to carry or not to carry is is a preference thing. I prefer to carry. To each his/her own, as it should be.

Steve
dix39 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2017, 10:29 AM   #20

Winnebago Owners Club
The problem with carrying a spare is that if you don't use it, 6 or 7 years down the road you will have to replace it. Read my other comments on this subject in previous posts.
Old 08-31-2017, 10:41 AM   #21

Tiffin Owners Club
Appalachian Campers
Mid Atlantic Campers
Coastal Campers
Freightliner Owners Club
Doesn't make a lot of financial sense to me to spend 500 for a rack, couple hundred for a rim, couple hundred for either a new or used tire (that is going to age out as well).......as opposed to the $6-700 ish I may get charged for a new tire purchase "if" I have a flat that can't be fixed with a plug and inflation. Financially it would be a wash, but you might never ever get a flat. So why definitely spend money, when there's only a possible outcome of getting a flat and spending the equivalent money

Also you need a torque multiplier to get the 500ish ft lbs required to get the lugs off and on, and maneuvering a couple hundred pound rim/tire would be no easy task.

I wasn't comfortable not having a spare either initially, but from a practicality and financial perspective quickly got used to it.
Kiawah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2017, 11:09 AM   #22

My coach is on 19.5 tires and I have had all 6 of them off. The torque is the same as my F150 so changing them isn't a big deal. That said, I can't remember the last time I had to change a tire on the road.
If I have a flat on the highway there is no way I would risk my life changing a tire - too many idiots out there.
AITG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2017, 11:22 AM   #23

I thought about carrying a spare and then did an informal 'study' at a couple of truck stops where I looked at how many trucks carried a spare. While certainly not scientific it came out to around five percent. I did ask one driver who happened to be walking up to his truck about the 'spare' he had and he said it was one of his old tires that was newer than the others he replaced.

I'm getting ready to replace my tires due to age and considering keeping the best of the lot just as a backup for a blow out. Yes, I know I'll be putting an old tire on but all I'm really looking to do is reach a town where I can purchase a new tire of the same brand I already have on the coach. Chances are that if I bought an extra tire when I get the new ones it will simply age-out and never be used. Maybe a new tire of a cheaper brand as a spare might be a better idea? Don't know. Still grappling with this question myself.
Mrb1ll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2017, 11:27 AM   #24

Fleetwood Owners Club
Spare tire, yes, rim, no
montyhp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2017, 11:31 AM   #25

American Coach Owners Club
I am on my way back from Alaska and decided to carry a mounted spare for the trip. I am not sure I will continue to carry it, we will see.
The tire and wheel fits into one of my compartments.

I have a torque multiplier and have used it to looses/tighten the wheel lugs.
On a good surface I could change a tire/wheel if needed.

At my house I have removed a wheel and replaced it when I could reasonably use the hydraulic levelers to put the RV where the wheel could be easily removed and replaced with a tire iron as a lever. I watched the local truck tire changers here in Florida and that is all they use. They never really lift the wheel, they just lever it into place.

My plan was to use a service if possible, but in an emergency I probably could change it myself.

As I stated I am not sure I will carry it in the future, but did feel good having it, in the out of the way places of Alaska, We did as much boondocking in away places as you can in a 40ft Motorhome.

it is very much a personal comfort decision, assuming you have the space somewhere/somehow to carry a spare. I do not really consider it a necessity, but a nice to have item.

thx --- Dale
Dale70 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2017, 11:33 AM   #26

Forest River Owners Club
For what it's worth,,,, 3 years ago I had an idea to remove the spare from under the MH for weight ( read on here it's not worth the trouble carrying one if you keep up to date tires). Well,,,, had a rear passenger inside blowout 12 miles east of Vicksburg Ms. on the first long trip since removing it ( Austin Texas from North Alabama and back). Called Good Sams, they were supposed to return my call and never did. After2 Hours, called them back and they got a service company from Jackson Ms. When they showed up another 2 hours later they didn't have a Socket to fit the lugs, had to drive BACK to Jackson. 6 1/2 hours and $890 later we were on the road.. First thing I did when I got home? Yep, re-mounted the spare and have been trouble free since.
outthere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2017, 11:34 AM   #27

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
My A came with a spare (mounted in a compartment under the bed in the slideout) and a lugwrench, although the short (2') bar is nowhere near long enough for the required torque (450ft/lb). So I added a 5' pipe for add'l leverage. As for a jack, my leveling jacks will lift a corner or end off the ground if needed.

Over the 30 years I've been RVing, I HAVE needed to change tires a few times. Sometimes I am in an area with no cell service; roadside assistance is worthless then. Sometimes I camp off-road; most roadside assistance won't go there. Sometimes I DO have cell service and AM on the road...and roadside assistance WILL help out...after waiting for 4 hours for them to show up (BTDT)! Oh, and that $200 tire? "Sorry, the only one we have in stock is $600, take it or leave it."

Relying on roadside assistance to actually provide tires for an RV? Nope, not something I want to do. Even if I can get ahold of them, they can get to me, and they show up in a reasonable amount of time...I will never be held hostage to whatever tire they want to sell me at whatever price they want to charge.
4x4van is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2017, 11:35 AM   #28

While we're on the subject, every MH should have a set of warning triangles on board. You can pick them up at any truck parts house. They could save your life on the highway.
AITG is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
class a