Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-28-2014, 11:07 PM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by dpinvidic View Post
I am going by their spec sheet. It says 6.3 gal. But the service manual says to put in less oil, then add .95 qts and check the dipstick. Keep doing this until it reaches the correct level. Then make a note for next time.

Dan
i used about 25 quarts, including filter prefilling.

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-28-2014, 11:29 PM   #16

Tiffin Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by dons2346 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by H. Miller
Primarily because the "jugs" are not empty until long after the oil has drained??? And you will need a pan for the oil filter - then come the fuel filter(s) then greasing the chassis, then shortly after that comes SpeedCo (Google it)

Sorry, but I am missing the point on Speedco. What items would you have them service after you have changed all your own filters?

Dan"

What H. Miller is referring to is that when you change your own fuel filters, you have some diesel to get rid of. If you use Speedco, then there is nothing you have to deal with.They will dispose of the old oil and the fuel in the old filters."

When I can go and get 2 fuel filters, coolant filter, oil filter, oil, and a chassis lube for under $250, all done in under an hour, it is worth it to me plus I get to go in the pit with the techs. and watch. You can also get an oil analysis if you want to.
Wow, that is a good price. I am in calif., and there is only one Speedco, which is not near me. I am lucky enough to have a hazardous waste disposal site near me, so disposal should be simple. UT I may look for another service company.

Regards,
Dan

Old 09-29-2014, 06:18 AM   #17

Monaco Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by dons2346 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by H. Miller
Primarily because the "jugs" are not empty until long after the oil has drained??? And you will need a pan for the oil filter - then come the fuel filter(s) then greasing the chassis, then shortly after that comes SpeedCo (Google it)

Sorry, but I am missing the point on Speedco. What items would you have them service after you have changed all your own filters?

Dan"

What H. Miller is referring to is that when you change your own fuel filters, you have some diesel to get rid of. If you use Speedco, then there is nothing you have to deal with.They will dispose of the old oil and the fuel in the old filters."

When I can go and get 2 fuel filters, coolant filter, oil filter, oil, and a chassis lube for under $250, all done in under an hour, it is worth it to me plus I get to go in the pit with the techs. and watch. You can also get an oil analysis if you want to.
Actually Don's paragraph #2 is what I was referring to.. Assuming one has a garage with concrete floor, ALL the correct tools, 10-15 ton jack stands, a 10-20 ton jack etc, etc, AND a day or two of free time ...you'll soon discover it isn't worth it. FYI jack stands are the most important of the above list as over the years we're missing at least two members who felt them unnecessary.
H. Miller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2014, 08:30 AM   #18

Are you kidding me? $250? That's a great price for all that. I already looked up one of their locations that we'll be passing in Brunswick, GA. Anyone have experience with their on the spot oil analysis? I'm not trying to hijack this thread, but I'll probably never do my own oil changes again.
Ramets is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2014, 09:13 AM   #19

Tiffin Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by H. Miller View Post
FYI jack stands are the most important of the above list as over the years we're missing at least two members who felt them unnecessary.
I agree on Jack stands, and I am glad you mentioned concrete floors. That reminded me that I need to weld a bottom plate on my jack stands since I will be using them on Asphalt. But just for wheel removal. I have some ramps (three layers of 2x10 lumber) which gives me plenty of room under the back of the coach for an oil & filter change.

I am a little anal on having my vehicles worked on. I had a friend who took his car to a quick change oil place. They actually forgot to drain the old oil, and put in new oil which overfilled the crankcase. My friend drove about 4 miles before the engine died...needed a full rebuild because of that.
I just see mechanics as always being rushed...because time is money.

Everything that people have posted has been very helpful...Thanks guys.

Dan
Old 09-29-2014, 11:32 AM   #20

one time when i passed vegas, i had speedco change oil for me. i remember it was $170+tax, right above $200 in total; including oil, 1 oil filter, 1 fuel filter (if your rig has two fuel filters you'll need either to bring one or buy one from them), and chassis lube. i ordered oil analysis for $19. it's a good deal especially if you are new to lube stuff. you can watch them doing it (that's worth a lot).

i have done oil changes myself after that mainly due to the fact there are no speedcos near me. i order filters from filter barn, about half price of cummins', and get oil from walmart or when on sale. typically i can get it done in $120-140 mark. i lube chassis with lube gun, easy if you know where the zerks are at.

on a flat road, i have plenty of room to change oil/filter below the engine. for those handy seudo mechanics, go for it by all means. if you are not sure, youtube is your friend.
Old 09-29-2014, 06:41 PM   #21

For 2013 and later, Cummins does not produce the ISC engine for on-highway use, only off-highway use. For motor-homes the available engines are the ISB, ISL, or ISX 12 and 15. Look at your engine data-plate again. Their reasoning, the ISC had gotten uprated to 380HP, the ISL begins at 400HP, it was a duplication of product basically; and the ISL is a much stronger engine, producing considerably more torque.

To answer your questions; I made wooden plank ramps so I would have more work room and be safe if the air suspension failed. I cut a plastic drum to 12" high, as 1" holds 1.1G.
FWIW, use an empty pan under the oil filter when changing it, because when-yes when you drop it you do not get an oil bath.
I watch for local farm stores to run a sale on diesel oil and buy ahead. The last 2X I bought a 5G pail for $65 with a $30 rebate form =$35 for 5G Rotella 15W40 oil. Without a small oil pump, getting oil from a 5G pail into the engine is accomplished by transferring the oil into 1G jugs, then pouring them into the engine. I have since bought a small 12V liquids pump so I can just pump from the 5G pail. My last DIY oil N filters change + lube cost me $85 and 1/2 tube of chassis grease. My time and effort (at my age) cost me in other ways.
2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA 1SG, retired;PPA,Good Sam Life member,FMCA."We the people are the rightful masters of both the Congress and the Courts - not to overthrow the Constitution but to overthrow men who pervert the Constitution. "Abraham Lincoln"
Ray,IN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2014, 08:49 AM   #22

Tiffin Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ray,IN View Post
For 2013 and later, Cummins does not produce the ISC engine for on-highway use, only off-highway use. For motor-homes the available engines are the ISB, ISL, or ISX 12 and 15.
Thanks Ray, That explains a lot. I had not been able to check the engine plate, and was going by what I found on the Cummins web site (for 2010 380hp). There is actually a manual in the document bag for the coach that is for a ISL engine, but I thought they had put in the wrong manual

Thank You so much for setting me straight.

Dan
Old 09-30-2014, 03:10 PM   #23

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ramets View Post
Are you kidding me? $250? That's a great price for all that. I already looked up one of their locations that we'll be passing in Brunswick, GA. Anyone have experience with their on the spot oil analysis? I'm not trying to hijack this thread, but I'll probably never do my own oil changes again.
Speedco in Brunswick GA has done my oil changes, fuel filter changes, chassis lube, generator service (oil,oil filter,fuel filter) and oil analysis since we bought the coach almost six years ago. They will also inspect your tires and give you a written report on tread depth etc.

Coolant will also be tested for freezepoint and SCA levels.

The service also includes inpecting your differential fluid. Cost for all this summer was $320. In and out in less than an hour. Great fried chicken place right next door. Our Cummins is C8.3 so the prices are the same as an ISC. ISB will be less, ISL more.

Oil analysis will include all parameters including TBN, trace metals etc.

On subsequent oil analysis your prior analysis will be printed for you. Their system retains 3 reports so you can track your changes if any.

If you have time, Jekyll Island is only about 10 miles up the road...big rig friendly and worth the fee charged to go acroos the causeway. The Jekyll Island club has bus parking spots that you can use at no additional charge.

Driftwood beach is also awesome!
Old 09-30-2014, 04:58 PM   #24

Tiffin Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Now I am confused again. The build sheet for my Tiffin coach says 380hp (EPA2010) engine. This would be ISC8.3.
But on the Cummins site the ISL starts at 400hp. Guess I have to wait until I can check the engine plate.

Dan
Old 09-30-2014, 05:17 PM   #25

Speedco sounds good but I am still hung up on doing my own service work on all of my vehicles. This way I know it was done right with quality parts I picked out.
Old 10-01-2014, 12:00 PM   #26

Quote:
Originally Posted by dpinvidic View Post
Now I am confused again. The build sheet for my Tiffin coach says 380hp (EPA2010) engine. This would be ISC8.3.
But on the Cummins site the ISL starts at 400hp. Guess I have to wait until I can check the engine plate.

Dan
Locate the chassis dataplate, should be near the drivers seat. Copy down the VIN, phone an authorized Cummins service center, or Cummins Coach Care facility and ask them to run your VIN to determine exactly which engine is in your chassis. Sounds doubtful your MH is on a pre-22013 chassis, but possible. I've read rumors that some MH mfgrs. bought chassis ahead to beat the EPA's DEF emission regulations that began last year.
2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA 1SG, retired;PPA,Good Sam Life member,FMCA."We the people are the rightful masters of both the Congress and the Courts - not to overthrow the Constitution but to overthrow men who pervert the Constitution. "Abraham Lincoln"
Ray,IN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2014, 03:36 PM   #27

Tiffin Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ray,IN View Post
Locate the chassis dataplate, should be near the drivers seat. Copy down the VIN, phone an authorized Cummins service center, or Cummins Coach Care facility and ask them to run your VIN to determine exactly which engine is in your chassis. Sounds doubtful your MH is on a pre-22013 chassis, but possible. I've read rumors that some MH mfgrs. bought chassis ahead to beat the EPA's DEF emission regulations that began last year.
Thanks Ray, I am actually getting the coach out of storage this weekend for a trip. I will locate the engine plate and put this confusion to bed.

My bet is the engine will match the manual that I have (ISL9 CM2350).
And I did find a place on the Cummins site where they listed a 380hp ISL 9.
Not a big deal so far since the filter and drain plug that I ordered should fit both ISC & ISL engines

Dan
Old 10-02-2014, 10:28 PM   #28

Tiffin Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Just received the "Operation & Maintenance Manual" from Cummins.
I noticed they say to fill the new oil filter with oil before installing, or the engine may be damaged. Makes sense since it is a huge filter....probably the same should be done for any large filter diesel oil change.

Regards,
Dan

Tags
cummins