Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 12-27-2011, 05:12 PM   #1

Does anyone put Marvel Mystery Oil in their air system?

I have had a few sticking air valves on my MH. My father is an owner operator for the past 50+ years and suggested I put MM oil in the system after the air dryer. He said older air compressors would leak some oil into the system and help lubricate the valves. However, since the air dryers were introduced they have also removed the oil from the system.

I couldn't find an easily accessable location under the unit so I fed it through the air hookup for towing in the front compartment under the drivers side. I made a pretty neat little tool for doing this that is at the motorhome in storage. (I'll try to post a few pics later) This little trick stopped a sticking valve that I had.

The procedure I used, since I was introducing the oil from the oppisite end of the system, is as follows. I bled all air from the system with the air dump and by pumping service brakes. I then hooked my 110v compressor to the oil charge tool I made. (black iron pipe and brass valves) The tool was then connected to the towing air line to the MH air system. I pumped the MM oil out of the tool and into the air system with the 110v compressor. I would allow air to build and then air dump. I did this several times before dumping along with pumping the service brakes. We took the coach on a 2000 mile round trip over Thanksgiving with zero issues. I spoke with my mechanic/friend at a Christmas party and he didn't see a problem with this procedure.

Anyone else tried anything similar?? Or know of a reason why I shouldn't do this??

Graniteman is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-27-2011, 05:37 PM   #2
Moderator Emeritus

These air systems and air brakes are designed to be run dry. My concern would be that the MM would ruin the orings after a period of time.

Mike Canter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2011, 06:24 PM   #3

Fleetwood Owners Club
MM might have done some good decades ago, but it's not needed on the new equipment.
Cat320 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2011, 09:46 PM   #4

Monaco Owners Club
Location: Alaska 6 months out of the year, as for the other 6, somewhere in the Lower 48
If it works it works. I would look into Mike's concern with the o rings.

Obviously your system needs something to fix the sticky valves. I would think it would be worth finding out why the valves are sticking. I think I would consider the MM a short term fix until you can determine the cause of the sticking valves.
sdennislee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2011, 07:10 AM   #5
Moderator Emeritus

I was thinking about those sticky valves. My concern would be that it is caused by moisture in the system. When was the air dryer serviced last and do you drain both air tanks on a routine basis.
Mike Canter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2011, 07:19 AM   #6

Workhorse Chassis Owner
I would think that using airtool oil would be a better alternative. Its formulated for pneumatic systems.
az bound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2011, 07:41 AM   #7

Monaco Owners Club
Quite often just a complete and total bleed down and recharging of the air system is enough to cure sticky valve problems. We used to run into this a lot with the air actuated splitter valves on Eaton and Spicer transmissions. I think I'd want to try that first before introducing a foreign substance into the system.

That being said, I have heard of adding a small amount of MM Oil to the air system to help keep valves lubricated.
Craig_R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2011, 08:11 AM   #8

Workhorse Chassis Owner
I have used Marvel Mistery oil to lube my old air compressor and air impact wrench for many years with no problems. 2 drops in the wrench before I use it.

I also use MMoil as after-run oil for my Radio Control alcohol engines as a rust inhibitor.
06 Hurricane 34FT WH W20 Chassis 8.1L 105K, Steersafe, Koni Shocks, DIY Trac Bar, Tri-Metric 2025RV Battery Monitor, 4-6V Batteries, Scan Gauge 2, Crossfires, 735W Solar Morningstar MPPT-60, KVH R5 In-Motion Sat, XM Radio, 07 Chevy Malibu Maxx Toad, Falcon 2, Brake Buddy, Escapee
mgscott4 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2011, 11:17 AM   #9
IC2

I use the Marvel Mystery Pneumatic Tool Oil for all of my air tools or if out, just the regular Marvel, but never in anything that has a rubber or rubber like product. It's a petroleum based product, it can cause swelling if those rubber or rubber like seals (neoprene, BUNA-N, etc) or hoses are not specifically rated for those kinds of products. Using something like that that someones uncle, 3 times removed heard from his next door neighbor's brother is not a wise idea - and he wont be paying for the repairs. Call the manufacturer - get his recommendations or opinions or be prepared to pay, possibly a lot, for repairs if it is wrong.
Old 12-28-2011, 03:57 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Canter View Post
I was thinking about those sticky valves. My concern would be that it is caused by moisture in the system. When was the air dryer serviced last and do you drain both air tanks on a routine basis.
I have not had the air dryer serviced since I purchased it in December of 2010. I have drained the tanks. When I pull it out of storage this spring that will be first thing on my list! Thanks for the advice.
Graniteman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2012, 08:39 PM   #11

Monaco Owners Club
Ditto on what Mike said, sounds like moisture in the system. I live and travel in heat and humidity. I drain the tanks religously and change the dessicant filter yearly. I have the fear of God for pneumatics and having to chase down a problem. The dessicant filter will likely suck up any oil you put in the system and it will also likely swell the o-rings. So far the tanks have stayed dry. MMO is pretty weird stuff, has almost a solvent feel to it, would scare me a bit putting it in there.
Good Luck!
Old 01-07-2012, 10:15 PM   #12

Monaco Owners Club
I don't know about your MM oil, but....

In our part of the world, during winter months we have to use Brake Line antifreeze in the air lines. Even though the air dryer is working, that doesn't stop the air lines from getting enough condensation moisture inside them to freeze air valves, throttle valves, etc.

The brake line antifreeze also has lubricant in it. Although I don't know what the lubricant is, the label always says that it won't harm brake system components. All I know is.... it works. O-rings are used all the times in high pressure hydraulic systems, so I don't think it would hurt an O-ring to be lubricated in an air system. Unless the lubricant used was incompatible with the O-ring material.

Papa_Jim is offline   Reply With Quote