Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 01-02-2015, 02:24 PM   #127

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave Leeper View Post
How much bleach do you put in your holding tank? And do you leave it in the tank or just flush it out. I never put that much water in the tanks, about only run about a 1/4 tank. just enough to flush with. And now on my new bounder it has a ice maker I'm just wondering about the ice. we are not full timer just a weekend worriers. I try to get out once a month.

For tank sanitizing the general rule is 1/4 cup of bleach per 15 gal of tank capacity.

Steve Ownby
Full time since '07

Steve Ownby is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-02-2015, 02:25 PM   #128

Gulf Streamers Club
Quote:
How much bleach do you put in your holding tank? And do you leave it in the tank or just flush it out. I never put that much water in the tanks, about only run about a 1/4 tank. just enough to flush with. And now on my new bounder it has a ice maker I'm just wondering about the ice. we are not full timer just a weekend worriers. I try to get out once a month.

Bob & Donna
'98 Gulf Stream Sun Voyager DP being pushed by a '00 Beetle TDI
BFlinn181 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2015, 05:42 PM   #129

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Location: DW Driver -Winter Englewood FL, Summer Willingboro NJ
Quote:
We have an ice maker too and always fill my tank to overflowing. I also have a side filling gravity inlet which allow me to totally fill my tank to overflowing. We carry 100 gallon of water from our home on trips. I do not use anyone's well water ever. we will refill from any city water supply.

Now when we do sanitize we add one gallon of bleach to the tank in increments while filling with water. We also remove or bypass the under sink (GE) dual water filter. Just fill about 1/3 add some bleach, fill some more water about half full and put in the rest and then fill water to top. Then run all the faucets and loosen the fitting on the water maker valve to flush that line too. I also will then take the MH out for a short run just to splash the water around in the tank. Leave everything over night or up to 24 hours then dump the main drain on the tank. when it is finished draining, leave the drain valve open and run the water hose into the tank fill flushing out the tank for a few minutes. Finally, close the dump valve and fill the tank then run all the faucets until they are clear of bleach. Put the filter back in and run the ice maker for a complete cycle of fill the container and throw out the ice.

by now everything should be normal. there may be a slight bleach odor to the water but certainly not bad. after the next fill of fresh water everything is back to normal. from now on you might wish to fill you tanks to the top and always use the water regularly filling it when low. we never hook up for long periods to the city water connection. Not using the tank water will allow it to go stale and even develop nasty mold or opportunistic pathogens.
Old 01-02-2015, 07:46 PM   #130

Belt and suspenders. Sanitize the tank. Use potable water and filter it. Filter the drinking spout and run it into a Brita filter pitcher. There ya go. Not even Ebola could get in there.
Old 01-03-2015, 12:06 PM   #131

Thumbs up ceramic water filter system

I have installed a water filter system in all the trailers and motor homes that I have owned. it consists of 2 filters. the first is the usual charcoal filter and then the water has to go thru the second filter which is a ceramic filter. (Think ceramic tea cup here) Manufacturer claims and has taken pictures of swamp water turning into clean drinking water with no e-coli. While we do not use swamp water, we feel very safe to use any tap water thru this system. And yes we clean out the water tank once a year.
Old 01-03-2015, 01:57 PM   #132

Instead of bleach

Why Vinegar and Baking Soda and Hydrogen Peroxide is as Effective as Bleach
Rusty years is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2015, 02:31 PM   #133

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Location: DW Driver -Winter Englewood FL, Summer Willingboro NJ
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rusty years View Post
there is a difference between cleaning and disinfecting.
Bleach
Bleach is great for cleaning and disinfecting, but extra care must be taken to rinse well after using bleach in an enclosure. The common dilution of bleach is one cup of bleach to one gallon of water. Bleach does not kill coccidia: you will need an ammonium chloride based cleaner. Bleach is a broad spectrum disinfectant and is effective against bacteria, mycobacteria, both enveloped and non-enveloped viruses and spores. It has limited effectiveness against fungi.

Ammonia
Undiluted ammonia has been considered the only disinfectant that will kill crypto within 30 minutes of contact. Crypto is extremely difficult to kill and the undiluted ammonia should be left on the surface for 20-30 minutes to ensure effectiveness.

Hydrogen Peroxide contact on mold in an enclosure is a safe way to kill the mold. Purchase the higher concentration of 25% or greater, the diluted peroxides in the drug stores are not a great enough concentration. You can use Peroxide to kill crypto. Peroxide is a broad spectrum disinfectant that is effective against bacteria, mycobacteria, enveloped and non-enveloped viruses. In July, 2006, the FDA issued a warning about the high strength hydrogen peroxides, saying they could lead to serious health risks and even death.

Bleach is commonly available an works generally well. it won't kill crypto however. The use of vinegar is customarily used too sweeten water tank. the flavor is generally more tolerable than bleach. Of course in an emergency peroxide and iodine can be used to sanitize water an remember that both are poisonous to humans.

Cryptosporidium is really nasty and can be found in many water supplies which are not treated such as surface lake and some well water. it is also transmittable between human, animal, insects and birds. Of the technologies available to the drinking water industry, membrane processes (forms of micro- and ultra-filtration) appear to provide the most significant levels of Cryptosporidium removal.

Certain home water filters are effective in removing Cryptosporidium from drinking water. These filters either use reverse osmosis, or have an absolute pore size of one micron or smaller. Keep in mind that all filters must be properly maintained in order to be
effective. I use a filter system and it seems to more than satisfactory.
Old 01-03-2015, 07:17 PM   #134

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rusty years View Post
Here's a more credible link:

Why Vinegar, Baking Soda, and Hydrogen Peroxide are NOT as Effective as Bleach
TechWriter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2015, 08:44 PM   #135

Thor Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
We keep our tank full and use it for brushing teeth, making coffee and cooking etc. We always have bottled water on hand to drink only because it is more convenient. But we have no problem drinking from our pot water tank.
camato5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2015, 09:26 PM   #136

Outdoors RV Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by ladagobago View Post
Of course in an emergency peroxide and iodine can be used to sanitize water an remember that both are poisonous to humans.
It's the dose, not the chemical, that makes something poisonous. Humans need iodine to be healthy, we just don't need a lot of it.

Iodine - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Old 01-03-2015, 09:34 PM   #137

Hasn't killed me yet...
Old 01-04-2015, 07:06 AM   #138

Tiffin Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by ladagobago View Post
The common dilution of bleach is one cup of bleach to one gallon of water.
I sure hope you're not talking about sanitizing a fresh water tank. That's more like 1/4 cup to 15 gallons. As already pointed out, it's more the "how much" you're using when you start talking about poison.
DeWat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2015, 07:18 AM   #139

Of course I drink the water out of my on board tank. But then again, I also take showers in my MH instead of the campgrounds bath houses, guess I'm odd like that. LOL
Afubar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2015, 07:29 AM   #140

Looks like the 1 cup of bleach per gallon is the cleaning solution for infected areas not the standard sanitizing mix used for water tanks which is far above the recommended ratio for drinking.

Tags
tank, water