Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 01-04-2015, 09:41 AM   #141

Have seldom done the bleach deal over the 35 years I have owned motorhomes. I will drain the tank once in a while. I have owned my Alpine for 11 years and have never done the bleach thing and drink water from my tanks. We do use our coach quite a lot.

Retired in Apple Valley, California
Rich and Cork is online now   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-04-2015, 10:02 AM   #142

Makes good coffee?

I did eighteen months on a light house and we had an inspection by the big brass. I walked into the area where our water was stored and the officer doing the inspection in that area was writing something down on his clipboard. Since we have always had the highest rating of all lights in our district and I was the OINC, I asked what was wrong. He stated we could not keep our sewage in the tanks. I asked what he was talking about since we did not have sewage storage. He shined his light in the water tanks, they were cement block wall tanks with a coating on the interior walls and had a small retangular access hole with a rusted screen cover. He dropped his light and ran up the stairs when I told him "That is not sewage, it is our drinking water". And yes it made great coffee so I would be hesitant to believe that is a good test for potable water.

Old 01-04-2015, 10:14 AM   #143

Forest River Owners Club
All we use the water for is to shower and the toilet .My wife does wipe down stuff and do the dishes and pots .The most time we use paper products .
Old 01-04-2015, 10:37 AM   #144

Rexhall Owners Group
We only use the onboard water for washing and cleaning. Even though we have a water filter installed, we have a portable water filter at home for our drinking water which removes what is in the town water to include fluoride. I would drink the onboard water in a pinch but not until I at least run bleach through the system. If I remember chlorine and bleach is used to sanitize the water tanks on commercial jets.

Martin
Old 01-04-2015, 10:55 AM   #145

Freightliner Owners Club
No concern using the on-board tanks, sanitize a few times each year if it has not been used for awhile. We seldom boondock so are often on city water w/ filter. I keep the tanks 3/4 full and biggest benefit is the dog's water for drinking and food always comes from the tanks. Their digestive track never knows they left home. They seem more sensitive to strange water than humans are.

KingClark- Our Loran Station had moss covered walls in the water tank and even a frog or 2.. (Palau Island)
Hooligan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2015, 11:41 AM   #146

145 posts in this threat. That says something about the importance of this topic.

In this country, we are blessed with a very safe public water supply. So long as you exercise care when filling your water tank, the water stored there will be safe for human consumption. There does seem to be an aversion to using this self stored water by many RVers.

This is one of many decisions we make every day and it's a highly personal one. Do what feels right to you.

Steve Ownby
Full time since '07
Steve Ownby is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2015, 01:41 PM   #147

Outdoors RV Owners Club
Information and some links about water sanitation and disinfection from the CDC:
CDC - Emergency Disinfection of Drinking Water - Camping, Hiking, Travel - Drinking Water - Healthy Water
Old 01-04-2015, 01:45 PM   #148

Monaco Owners Club
Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by anotherone View Post
always drink from the tank, cooking and bathing and ice
Me too.
BigSkyBob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2015, 03:33 PM   #149

We play it by ear. We do have a full house water filter, the used by many manufacturers, HydroLife HL-200 with the KDF Carbon Cartridge.

We use extreme care when working in the plumbing bay, and dumps, and have our spray bottle of chlorine mix velcroed to the bay floor. Spray all hose fittings when hooking up. We don't always wear gloves when dumping, but if I have any cuts I do. We keep lysol wipes in the bay, and I wiped down my hands, and handles after dumping. DW opens the door for me when getting back into the coach, and I wash my hands fist thing. I will also frequently spray the sewer connection area with the bleach mix. We do still use a regular stinky slinky hose, and cap the waste area while traveling. We'll quite often have a little spillage while removing the cap, less than ounce or two. Thus the regular cleaning and bleach treatment.

We used our tank water, or park/city water, for everything. Unless we don't like the taste, then we usually keep a few two gallon bottles available, and use that for coffee. We also always keep a case of bottled water, but mostly use these when heading out fo the day, either in the toad or if hiking.

I've been planning to add another under counter filter with faucette on the kitchen sink. Figured this might make the difference on the few times we don't like the water's taste going thru the main house filter.

We've, as I'm sure many of you have too, seen it all. Especially at dump stations. We have a local dump station we use quite often at the end of trips. It also is used by many of the local area derelict RV's (It's a home for them, and they're off the street. But many of them are quite distressed, and no funds directed towards maintenance.) . We watch one 'gent' in a Class C pull in and get as close to the drain hole as possible. Got out, put small rock under the bras cap that you raise to place your stinky slinky into the drain. Then proceeded to open his drain and dump onto the ground. The slope move most of the slop into the drain. He used a 8' section of cut off hose, to sort of rinse things down a bit - but frankly, could care less how much he left out on the surface, or what the gent behind me that got out of his coach to walk up and explain to him that this was very poor etiquette. (He was not being a jerk. He even offered to give the man an older spare slinky he carried. The 'dumper' was not interested, said a few choice words - then ignored him. (I've seen the character in our area before, and knew enough to not get involved. Good chance, he is cooking meth in this rig, to give you and idea of the type of person.) So, after spraying some fresh water on what he had dropped, that splattered up all over the water bib area, and his own 8' section of hose. He proceeded to use the same hose to top off his water...

Why the long story? Unless you had seen this, you'd not know that you were walking in his grey/black waste water. So what you track into your RV on your shoes, is at risk too. The DW has directed a pair of my old Keen Sandals - as my Dump Station shoes. They remain outside, and in a pay, within a plastic bag... (Not much fun to wear sandals, with a few inches of snow on the ground!).

And yeah, we've got to live. And yeah, this could have been in a campground and the people before us also had a spill - you just never know. But no harm in attempting to minimize the risks... Especially in the dumping arena...

Best to all,
Smitty
Old 01-04-2015, 05:59 PM   #150

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Location: DW Driver -Winter Englewood FL, Summer Willingboro NJ
clean, shock or sanitize water

Quote:
Originally Posted by nothermark View Post
Looks like the 1 cup of bleach per gallon is the cleaning solution for infected areas not the standard sanitizing mix used for water tanks which is far above the recommended ratio for drinking.
Guess I should be clear here. To clean contaminated components and surfaces the dilution is 1 cub to a gallon. that will pretty much kill anything.

to shock your water tank and lines 12 oz to every ten gallons of tankage or about 1 gallon per 100 gallons of water

to sanitize drinking water worst conditon try 1 teaspoon for 5 gallons, I prefer to simply keep my system clean and not have to add to my water supply. Just get a good filter
Old 01-04-2015, 08:17 PM   #151

Quote:
Originally Posted by ladagobago View Post
Guess I should be clear here. To clean contaminated components and surfaces the dilution is 1 cub to a gallon. that will pretty much kill anything.

to shock your water tank and lines 12 oz to every ten gallons of tankage or about 1 gallon per 100 gallons of water

to sanitize drinking water worst conditon try 1 teaspoon for 5 gallons, I prefer to simply keep my system clean and not have to add to my water supply. Just get a good filter
Do you have a source for all these recommendations?
TechWriter is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2015, 06:26 PM   #152

This is when I appreciate the Army basic training - I can eat and drink anything.
Rusty years is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2015, 06:58 PM   #153

Quote:
Originally Posted by ladagobago View Post

You should read what the EPA treatment standard states: http://ndep.nv.gov/bsdw/docs/disinfe...king_water.pdf
2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA 1SG, retired;PPA,Good Sam Life member,FMCA."We the people are the rightful masters of both the Congress and the Courts - not to overthrow the Constitution but to overthrow men who pervert the Constitution. "Abraham Lincoln"
Ray,IN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2015, 06:17 PM   #154

Any ingested water is bottled water. We only use the tank or city for washing and toilet.

Tags
tank, water