Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 01-27-2015, 08:48 PM   #155

tempted to say, silly question, as we have drank water from our motorhome tanks on two different motorhomes over a 15 year period, and never never had any problem. But some differ obviously. So do what you feel is best but make your decision based on good information not some belief that only water from a bottle is drinkable. Gosh, get real.

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-27-2015, 08:55 PM   #156

I have a question.....does anybody think that the City or County sanitizes the water lines that have been buried for 60plus years? I have seen ruptured water mains, CNN should do a documentary on those.

Old 01-27-2015, 09:02 PM   #157

Fleetwood Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
My rv water gets filtered before it goes into my tank. It then goes through my rv whole house filter. Then my rv fridge also has a filter. I drink exclusively rv water and it tastes fine. we've had a total of zero problems.
Old 01-27-2015, 09:16 PM   #158

Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by 336muffin View Post
I have a question.....does anybody think that the City or County sanitizes the water lines that have been buried for 60plus years? I have seen ruptured water mains, CNN should do a documentary on those.
Actually YES!! Or at least our system does. We can always tell when they've worked near us by the chlorine smell of the water.
Been doing it since 1957 with no ill affects too! But then I drank directly from garden water hoses too!
Mr_D is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2015, 08:39 AM   #159

Quote:
Originally Posted by 336muffin View Post
Ever read the Federal Clean Drinking Water Standards?
Old 01-28-2015, 12:54 PM   #160

Long before Federal Drinking Water Standards were adopted commercial and municipal utilities who maintain water systems were placing chlorine tabs in water systems when lines were opened or broken. They were typically put directly into the line at the point where it broke or was penetrated/separated for service. For those who are concerned about the sediment and corrosion in water lines, Where do you think the water comes from? Well water comes from ground deposits through sand and gravel strata, and that drawn from lakes, reservoirs, and rivers has been laying in contact with sand, gravel, and decaying vegetation for years. And where do the fish and birds excrete?

Getting a bit paranoid here???
Pigman1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2015, 03:52 PM   #161

Quote:
Originally Posted by aztortuga View Post
tempted to say, silly question, as we have drank water from our motorhome tanks on two different motorhomes over a 15 year period, and never never had any problem. But some differ obviously. So do what you feel is best but make your decision based on good information not some belief that only water from a bottle is drinkable. Gosh, get real.
I don't usually drink bottled water, at home I drink straight from the faucet. On our first camping trip we fill up the F/W tank and when we made coffee the first morning it tasted like crap, you could taste the plastic from the tank. I have not tried using the water when hooked up to city since my other half is more picky than I am and now refuses to use anything but bottled water since that first experience. I thought about adding a water filter but don't know if it will get rid of that nasty taste.
Old 01-29-2015, 07:36 AM   #162

Why didn't you just flush, sanitize and flush again? Any plastic will outgas or leach some of it's chemical content into the water. That included the plastic bottles water is shipped in. The secret is to flush it out and then keep flushing by using. New plastic is most susceptible so once your tank ages a bit the contamination rate drops off. New bottles every time. ;-(
Old 01-29-2015, 08:54 AM   #163

Our city water no longer comes from the ground. They pump water out of the river and replace that water with the water they pump out of the ground. This is the same river that people up stream tube in for hours and never have to get out and pee. Them again we only have so much water on earth so I am pretty sure none of it has not been run through a bladder at one time or another.
Plastic taste comes from the tank so would require a carbon filter after the tank to remove that taste.
Old 01-29-2015, 07:23 PM   #164

Forest River Owners Club
I replace the faucet with a beer tap
Old 01-29-2015, 07:32 PM   #165

Appalachian Campers
Quote:
Originally Posted by King Clark View Post
This is the same river that people up stream tube in for hours and never have to get out and pee. Them again we only have so much water on earth so I am pretty sure none of it has not been run through a bladder at one time or another.
This brings up an interesting fact the local water management guys told me.

Every drop of water goes completely through the cycle every 3,000 years. From lakes, seas and oceans, evaporated to clouds, to rain, into a river, back to a lake or sea, drank by a creature on this planet, evacuated onto the ground to become groundwater and end up in a river, to flow to a lake, to run to the lakes, seas and oceans. Wash, rinse, repeat.

So, by Biblical standards that's three times through the cycle. By geological standards, well, I'll let you do the math.

It's why we have an immune system, to deal with anything we might end up with. I also think that's why people seem to be getting sicker all the time, we're weakening our immune system by sterilizing ourselves from the world.
sknight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2015, 08:44 PM   #166

Quote:
Originally Posted by sknight View Post
Every drop of water goes completely through the cycle every 3,000 years.

So, by Biblical standards that's three times through the cycle.

It's why we have an immune system, to deal with anything we might end up with. I also think that's why people seem to be getting sicker all the time, we're weakening our immune system by sterilizing ourselves from the world.
So, by your logic, we also shouldn't get vaccinated against any diseases so that we can build up a "natural" disease immunity (or at least for those of us who survive)?

Count me out.

In this 3rd 3,000-year water cycle, a lot of stuff is getting into our ground water that wasn't around thousands of years ago. There wasn't much industrial electroplating or hydraulic fracking going on in Biblical Judea.

Typically, I don't drink bottled water because of the $$$, but I do fiiter the bejeezus out of the water that enters my RV.

Finally, as you get older your immune system weakens. So if you're going to "build up" your immune system through toxins, do it while you're young.
TechWriter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2015, 09:05 PM   #167

Monaco Owners Club
We have had this MH 3 years this month. Never hooked up to city water. We fill the tank as needed. We don't have any onboard filters.

No medical problems caused by the water that we know of.

I have filled the tank from rural water wells a couple times and added a couple spoons of bleach just to be extra careful.
ruffian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2015, 09:18 PM   #168

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
When we boondock we have a couple of 5-gallon containers for emergencies, but we always drink from the tank. I've got particulate and charcoal filters for when we fill the tanks anywhere but at home. There we've got a well drawing from a wonderful PacNW aquifer. I've had no issues with water in RVs or boats since 1973.

lymanlouis is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
tank, water